Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Last day hunt

Boolit Mold

Last day hunt

Yesterday was the last day I could get out before season ended today. I asked my 13 old nephew if he'd like to do some still hunting with me. One of us stalks and the other guy waits at the other end of the woods for us to screw up. He bit, and he took along his sister. 50 yards into my stalk, I bumped a deer his way. He ended up shooting it at 8 yards, and it ran so close by them after he shot it that it sprayed blood on his sister's pants. Dropped 40 yards away. He shot it with a 20 gauge H&R.
    As I drove them home with their dead deer and I pulled onto his road, 5 does crossed the road headed toward his house. I dropped him off and told him to wait until I told him to "walk" home through the woods. I sat 200 yards below his house, and home he walked. Sure enough 5 does ran almost over his sister and I. I unleashed my new Lyman Great Plains Hunter in 54 caliber at 10 yards. The 420 grain maxi ball from Track of the Wolf entered her front left shoulder, passed through her entire body cavity, and lodged under the skin of her back right leg. It broke her front leg and her back leg completely. My only complaint was the bullet almost looked reusable from nearly zero expansion. It didn't seem to matter. She left a great blood trail and dropped in sight. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luke2.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	92803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lukesdoe.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	92804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liza.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	92805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slugs.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	92806

Perma-Banned

Good job!

Banned

Excellent! Good to see a young hunter so successful. Was this his first deer? Keeping cool enough to make a shot like that is quite a feat for a youngster.

Boolit Master
    I say that's what it all about getting someone young to enjoy. A sport like hunting can be and is one person or a group.

Way to go !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    thats the way to end a season
    way to go
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Good job! Take a kid hunting....better yet, two kids!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

I know it sounds cliché, but it really was much more rewarding when my sons were young and they killed a deer than even the best deer I've killed personally. They're both out of the nest now, oldest one will most likely continue to hunt as he gets time, younger one, never got into the hunting part as much as he just enjoyed getting outdoors and does like to shoot, but at least both killed deer and gained an appreciation for it.

Good on you for mentoring those two kids.

Boolit Mold
    That was his 2nd deer and 7th shot at a deer. He gets buck fever with the best of us. His sister decided with certainty that she's in for next season. His little brother is still ahead with 2 deer and 2 turkeys. He killed his 1st deer when he was 6! It was dumb luck, but it was still cool.

That's an awesome story! Glad to see kids getting out and having fun hunting. Love the part about the deer's blood spraying on the girls pants-she'll tell that story to her grandkids some day! Thanks for sharing!!

Boolit Mold
    She was so excited about it too. The first thing I heard when I walked up to them in the woods was how she had blood on her pants.

Perma-Banned

Nice, way to go.

Boolit Master

Love to hear good stories about kids getting their deer,got mine at the age of twelve or thirteen and my son was ten and got two minutes apart.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Tell your nephew Congratulations for me !
    8 yards is some close shooting. That is a good read and I do enjoy those photos ! Thanks !
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    Will do Mike. Thanks for your work in Peru. God Bless.

Boolit Buddy

Isn't it great to be rewarded when you take kids hunting?? They will remember it forever. I'm 79 years old and taught 3 sons how to hunt & fish. My rewards were plenty. Still they don't come home empty handed .Two grandsons turned into great hunters, taught by their dad. Another grandson gets dropped off by his dad and they meet in the woods. This little guy is something else, he can hunt close to home every day. There's plenty of venison in their freezer..
    Again, isn't it rewarding whey sons & grandsons (girls also) turn out like that??????

Proud grand dad
    thebigmac

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS..

[COLOR="#FF0000"]MANY YEARS AGO I GAVE AN OATH TO DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION FROM
    A-L-L TRAITORS, BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC NOW, AT 78, I'M READY AGAIN TO ANSWER THE CALL.
    COLOR]

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Mold
    I agree completely. I have a 2 year old daughter, and I pray she grows up to love the woods and water like I do. I'll certainly do my part to teach her.

Boolit Buddy
    Outstanding! And some meat for the freezer too!

Well done on all parts!