RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Casting Project for the Snub Nose .38 Special

ADMIN

Its the lube not the powder.
    Mine are smokey but they are better then factory loads too.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Found this boolit mold while researching the 358477 a little more. This one will definitely require sizing though. It says it drops boolits at .360.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=194

The option run run FP or HP is cool. Not that an HP would be any benefit at the snubby velocities.

Greg
    Last edited by fishboy; 01-07-2014 at 04:25 PM.

I started shooting full charge wadcutters in the 38 Special after reading an article on the subject by Terry Murbach in the 11/87 issues of Peterson's Handguns. In a conversation with Terry just a couple of years ago, he told me that 3.5/Bulleye proved the best every time he tested it.

Ed Harris has really done good work in advancing this load and anybody who is interested in handloading defense ammo in the 38 Special will do well to give heed to his counsel.

The wadcutter can also be pushed out of a 357 Magnum case at quite snappy speeds. This weekend I put 100 rounds with this bullet loaded over 10/2400 out of my Smith and Wessons. Accuracy up to 50 yards is better than I can hold. Beyond that, I really don't care.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

While the snubbies' sights are regulated to 158 grain loads, I have had good luck with the Lee 125 grain RF .358 boolit over 3.5 grains of Hogdon Clays. Shoots to the point of aim and burns pretty clean.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

So, I was looking through some of my reloading manuals and it looks like 3.5gr of bullseye is just above the max standard .38 special loads, but not quite to +P levels for 158gr cast boolits. Sounds like a fun load to shoot. I think I will start out with 3.0gr of Titegroup and work up from there if need be. Should I get some +P brass for these loads or should the standard brass suffice?

Now I just need to decide on a mold. Too many of them! At least everyone seems to like the ones they have so, it sounds like I can't go wrong with any of them really.

Thanks again to all of you for all of the info and links to article. I greatly appreciate it.

Greg
    Last edited by fishboy; 01-08-2014 at 01:09 PM.

As has been said, the Lee 105 grain SWC is a great little number. I just have the double cavity and have been happy cranking them out two at a time for quite a while.
    It also works very well in 9mm and .380.. cuts perfect holes in paper.
    The Lee 140 grain SWC works very well also.. I've never used that in .380 though.. lol
    I have a Lyman double cavity 133 grain SWC that's about the best of all worlds weight wise.
    I did take a file (carefully.. it came out perfectly) to the front sight of my main snubby (Smith.. that front sight is just pinned anyway so easily replaceable) as I usually carry hollow point jacketed 110 grain +P's socially.
    Good luck
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fishboy View Post
    So, I was looking through some of my reloading manuals and it looks like 3.5gr of bullseye is just above the max standard .38 special loads, but not quite to +P levels for 158gr cast boolits. Sounds like a fun load to shoot. I think I will start out with 3.0gr of Titegroup and work up from there if need be. Should I get some +P brass for these loads or should the standard brass suffice?

Now I just need to decide on a mold. Too many of them! At least everyone seems to like the ones they have so, it sounds like I can't go wrong with any of them really.

Thanks again to all of you for all of the info and links to article. I greatly appreciate it.

Greg
    On the Starline brass website they state the only difference in standard and +p brass is the head stamp so +p loads don't end up in guns not chambered for them, so just be sure to separate and label your loads if you make +p in standard brass. Just bought me a snubby, so have been following this thread with interest. I load and shoot the Lee 105 swc over 3gr of Trailboss for a plinking round, a perfect load for that in a GP100 and really economical. BTW, NOE makes awesome molds.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy

I mark all my "hotter" loads on the primer with a red sharpie pen. Keeps them out of the wrong gun.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Craig,

I was aware of Starline's brass. When I have to buy brass (which is rare) I always buy Starline. Most of my brass is not Starline, however.

Mike,

I probably over do it when it comes to labeling and tracking my hand loads. I also use a sharpie on all of them. I have 10 different color sharpies for identifying my hand loads. You can never be too careful.

Greg

bhn22
    Don't sweat the "+P" headstamp, I've never known of a difference between the two. Many guys, myself included, have loaded 38 Spl brass to what are now considered crazy pressures without any related incidents.

Boolit Master
    I have the NOE 358477 in brass- it does cast them at .360. I have another NOE .360 mold in aluminum- I prefer it to the brass- it's much lighter and easier to use. Both are outstanding molds!
    Loren

Hi Fishboy - sure hope the weather back in my old home state isn't too miserable these days. If you'd like to try a few tumbled lubed Lee 158 SWC drop me a PM with your address and I'll send you a few...
    Rainier
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Lee 158-gr RNFP, 3.5 grains Titegroup, roll crimp in cannelure, will be a nice accurate load without a lot of kick.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master

Defensive loading a 38 snubby I like a loaded cylinder of 148 grain DEWC's,

if you use a speed loader for backup, you can load it with 158 grain SWC ,

as they are easier and quicker to reload the cylinder with.

Defensive Shooting by CITIZENS is usually UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL,

Too much distance for a NON LAW ENFORCEMENT shooting may cause added legal issues.(JMHO)

WADCUTTERS make great wound channels within the BAD GUYS/OR GALS.

Shot Placement between the shirt pockets is good,

Between the eyes or in the eye is better, ONLY IF YOU'RE A GREAT SHOT UNDER DURESS!(JMHO)

PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE, is the key element for shot placement, YOUR GUN, YOUR LOAD.

Boolit Master

A threat to your life as in a ballistic confrontation can come at any distance. The legality of the shoot is strictly up to the shooter as to his life being threatened to the point that death or severe bodily injury may be eminent. Remember the courts may have years to decide if it's a good shoot or not, you on the other hand have seconds. Fight or flight can and often is left up to interpretation. Be sure it translates in your favor.
    The object is to neutralize the threat as soon as possible with the least amount of collateral damage and NOT to shoot after the threat is over. ( don't shoot the bad guy again if it's not needed ) then it's Murder.
    Control and efficiency of the weapon you have plays an important part.
    Ever been in a fire fight ? ever had to defend your life ?
    did you feel an overabundance of control ??
    Not saying that I don't agree with many of the post in this thread, cause I do, just thought I would add a little extra to the mix without going over board and changing the focus of the discussion.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

grey wolf,

The LEGALITY is up to WHAT the PROSECUTOR THINKS, possibly the Grand Jury's thoughts,

and WHAT A CRIMINAL JURY IS CONVINCED OF OR BELIEVES.

Too much distance and a jury just may not BELIEVE YOUR IMMINENT THREAT is a valid one.

State Laws may vary.

Guys,

While I greatly appreciate everyone's input on the subject matter of this thread, I would like to encourage everyone to please stay on topic. I'm not trying to "bite the hand that's feeding me" here but I get frustrated myself when I search forums looking for input on a subject and I have to sift through posts to find something that is meaningful to what I have searched.

Thanks,
    Greg

Boolit Master

The LEGALITY is up to WHAT the PROSECUTOR THINKS, possibly the Grand Jury's thoughts,

and WHAT A CRIMINAL JURY IS CONVINCED OF OR BELIEVES.

Too much distance and a jury just may not BELIEVE YOUR IMMINENT THREAT is a valid one.

State Laws may vary.
    Your correct, your so right, or whatever you say sir. didn't mean to step on your toes, read my post again
    don't skip any parts. And once again, sorry for the post shift.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by fishboy View Post

I probably over do it when it comes to labeling and tracking my hand loads. I also use a sharpie on all of them. I have 10 different color sharpies for identifying my hand loads. You can never be too careful.

Greg
    I like that idea. I need to go get a few more colors of Sharpies.
    Will Fly For Boolits