RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 7.62x25 Rossi 92 !

7.62x25 Rossi 92 !

http://levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49839

Cool conversion - if only chicom ammo was as cheap as it used to be.

like a hi-vel 32-20 or 30 carbine lever gun for Tok users
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I wondered (aloud, on these pages) if that was possible. Thanks for posting this, I enjoy seeing it accomplished. It sounds like he put more work into it than I want to do.

I like the 92 for being flat and compact so . . . .32-20, .327, or 7.62x25?

The .32-20 rifles are (more or less) already available. Companion revolvers available but those are bulky.

The .327 is a stronger case than the .32-20, and probably easier to reload. But no rifles available, and not many companion revolver options unless you want to mod both a rifle and a revolver. And no autopistol options.

The 7.62x25 is probably a little trickier than the .32-20 to load, but has the Tok pistol available as a companion, which is flat and carries really well. But the rifle conversion sounds like a hassle.

The guy should sell kits.

As soon as my reamer shows up, I am planning on rebarreling a '92 to 30 Badger. 38 spl case run into a 7.62 Tok die, so you get a longer neck and a rim. Should work well in a rifle originally chambered for 357 mag, and easier to find brass compared to the rimless tok case. Thanks Badgeredd here on this forum for steering me toward his wildcat!

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy
    I got out of shooting for 15 years and when I came back I discovered the .327. It seemed interesting - but I've never found much info about it. Would seem to be a modern version of 32-20. Any ideas why it never took off?

Michael

Boolit Buddy
    I like the .327 Mag, but in a stubbie revolver it is a handful. I had 2 stubbie .327's and have gone back to the .38 Special. However, the Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R can be reamed to handle the .327. That sounds really interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by snaketail View Post
    I got out of shooting for 15 years and when I came back I discovered the .327. It seemed interesting - but I've never found much info about it. Would seem to be a modern version of 32-20. Any ideas why it never took off?

Michael
    There is a lot of discussion about that. Manfacturers treated it like an SD cartridge, rather than a field/small game cartridge, so it was available in snub DA revolvers that did not interest people who might have jumped on a Model 92/ SA pistol combination. Also it is an incrementally improved rimmed case with ballistics similar to the .32-20, or the rimless .30 Carbine, so did not fill a "performance gap." Instead it filled a "case gap" that could be meaningful to reloaders and especially casters, but not to factory-ammo buyers.

The .327 is probably a better case than the 7.62 Tok for reloading. But being rimmed there are no autopistols for it, and personally I don't want to CCW a fat wheelgun when I can carry a 7/8" thin, ballistically similar pistol with lower barrel axis and 1+9 in the grip frame.

If I still lived on an eastern Oregon ranch I would want a .327 SA, except for the noise for which any of the above cartridges are notorious. I risk the noise in an urban CCW pistol because any situation where I'd shoot justifies messing up my ears. But I would not want to lose another 20db of hearing just to kill a rattlesnake or racoon threatening the chickens.

So I like my Tokarev pistol for carry. And the idea of a 7.62x25 Model 1892 is *really* appealing, except for the pioneering hassles of building one. If the maker wants to sell kits, I am interested.

Boolit Master
    I love it! What a neat idea.

Talk about a fun gun!

My head hurts... seems like lots of money and work to shoot a downloaded 30-30 equivalent.
    For the money, I'd rather invest in 2 more 30-30 rifles....for which I can get ammo and/or reload for about the same price as today high end .22RF....if I could find some.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master

Maybe there is no real niche for the gun, and there are others that will do the same job better, but, He wanted one, and did it. I think it is neat! Would I buy one, probably not. But I still think it's neat!

Quote Originally Posted by pls1911 View Post
    My head hurts... seems like lots of money and work to shoot a downloaded 30-30 equivalent.
    For the money, I'd rather invest in 2 more 30-30 rifles....for which I can get ammo and/or reload for about the same price as today high end .22RF....if I could find some.
    Ever tried to convert a Model 92 to .30-30? This was more practical.

And for cost of two .30-30s, somebody can buy lots of steak at the grocery store, which is more practical than all that hiking and camping.

You can't reload a .30-30 as cheaply as a 7.62 Tok, which costs about the same as .32-20, a traditional Model 92 chambering.

Does your head still hurt? You could take two aspirin instead of reading this post, but it would be more expensive.

[insert good-natured icon here]

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    ........You can't reload a .30-30 as cheaply as a 7.62 Tok, which costs about the same as .32-20, a traditional Model 92 chambering............

[insert good-natured icon here]
    One of us needs to check prices again. I shoot both 32-20 and 7.62x25 and for me the 32-20 was selling for more than twice the 7.62x25 and more than 3 times the corrosive 7.62x25 but I would rather a 92 in 32-20 than one in 7.62x25.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    One of us needs to check prices again. I shoot both 32-20 and 7.62x25 and for me the 32-20 was selling for more than twice the 7.62x25 and more than 3 times the corrosive 7.62x25 but I would rather a 92 in 32-20 than one in 7.62x25.

Tim
    Check prices of what? Tok and .32-20 use about the same amount of powder and lead, so they cost about the same to reload.

Who uses store-bought ammunition? I mean, besides those billionaire .22 rimfire guys who economize by saving the sliding lids of CCI boxes to re-use as caviar spreaders.

.32-20 makes conventional sense in a 92, but I carry a Tok pistol.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sweet! Don't understand why at least one lever action maker doesn't offer a .32-20 WCF. On the odd chance that you see an 1894CL for sale here it goes for north of $750.00.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    Fun companion to my CZ52.