WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2

Thread: Help with identity of this old gun

Help with identity of this old gun

All I have are some not so good photos that I will post and what I can see on these photos when I enlarge them. Friend of my dil sent them for some help. He thinks it's a shotgun because of the smooth bore. No MFG. name from what I can see; just a "star on a ??B or 8". I will see it in person and take better photos, but just wanted a little info. on what or where to look for something helpful to identify. Might take me a couple of tries to post photos.
    Thanks,
    Ramar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lmail 1.jpg   lmail 2.jpg   lmail 3.jpg   lmail 4.jpg   lmail 5.jpg  

lmail 6.jpg   lmail 7.jpg  
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Bub
    Collectors call these Zulu shotguns. They started out as muzzle loading French muskets which were converted to shoot cartridges using the French Snyder conversion mechanism, much like the British Snider conversion These converted muskets were eventually sold off to Belgian gunmakers who cut down the stocks and converted them to shoot 12 ga shotgun shells for the commercial market.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    Ben Franklin

Perm-Banned
    what years do you think that these were around because ive seen several of them in local museums mixed in with rifles used by the ogallala lakota sioux. i could never figure out what they were but did notice they were smooth bores. thanks for the post now i know. i am courious if they were used in the indian wars?

Boolit Buddy
    Mostly sold as a trade gun in Africa. Here's a link to a description of one in the Springfield collection

http://ww2.rediscov.com/spring/VFPCG...TABASE=objects

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Sears Roebuck also sold them in the mail order catalog before WW1.

Perm-Banned
    it looks like they came to this area after the indian wars and was used by the native americans as a meat getter. thanks again as now i know waht they are.

Boolit Bub
    What I can say is that the action is Snyder patent, which is British.

Perma-Banned

I believe that is a snider conversion

Thanks guys for the help. When I googled Zulu Shotgun I got some real good info. and some u-tubes of the gun in action.

Turns out the gun has been in the family since the beginning and I let him know to contact me if he decided to sell. No decision yet. I think it's worth more as a family heirloom than a collectable, but you never know. I think I would lend him the money before buying it; or maybe hold it for him rather than him loosing it for ever. But to some, guns don't mean much I guess.

I'll keep you'll posted.
    Thanks again,
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS