Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best .45 ACP boolit for bowling pins?

Boolit Grand Master

Truncated cone boolits seem to "smack" and "grab" pins when properly hit. I think the driving band does the grabbing, the meplat does the smacking. Look at a well-used pin sometime. The covering stretches to allow a RN bullet to pass thru with hardly a hole. TC boolits cut a hole in the cover. Look to the history of the game, you'll find it was designed to put the guys shooting light & fast projectiles at a disadvantage. Momentum and energy transfer are the keys here. I've gotten by with 200 gr target loads but if I were to get serious about it I think a 220 gr TC boolit would be pretty awesome as I tend to prefer decisive hits over speed.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Rn hb.

Shot tons of the h&g 68's for a lite bullet & lymans 454190 250gr rnfp for heave bullets.

Boolit Bub
    I have had success using the Lee 230TC bullet on pins.

Vendor Sponsor

I last shot pins with a 255gr LSWC! I had no feeding issues with a Para-Ordnance lower and a WWI era 1911 upper which the only mod to the barrel was a nicely polished throat. Choose the spring rate by double tapping paper @ 7yds, until your pairs are 1" and you are ready. If the second shot is low, decrease the spring. If it is high, increase.

Boolit Master

This is the Saeco 058 style made by Magnus Bullets. It is my defensive round and hits with authority at 850 fps.

It feeds in all my 1911s.
    Last edited by jaysouth; 12-27-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    That Saeco 058 bullet is the bullet I like best right now with a heavy like the 454424 my second pick.
    Cast hard it should be the berries for just about anything. Right now I am working on a load for self defense using it.
    It feeds well in all 3 of my 45 autos.

As an old Second Chance Master Blaster a 255 SWC and about 5 gr of WW 231 was the right ticket. I switched to a 230 gr H&G wad cutter loaded in 38 spl cases with about 7 gr of Blue Dot and got my MB patch shooting that combo through my 686s. While shooting the ACP load I won numerous firearms shooting it in team events. Enjoy

You can not go wrong with plain hardball @ center of mass. Best choice is a 230gr HP so the HP grabs if your off center. With pins big and slow vs light and fast and big and slow wins from a physics standpoint. Don't take this wrong, 200gr with 4gr of bullseye will take them off the table, but to absolutly remove them you want something thats going to drive them off the table before they even think about falling down. A pin on it's side usually means your going to lose that run. The 255 swc is a great choice in a revolver for the first 6rounds but your back to RN on a reload with the moon clips
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

bhn22
    Any load you use needs to have enough energy & momentum to drive the pins straight back about 4 feet. Then all you have to do is hit them in the center of the big white part.

I liked the 230 grn Truncated Cone myself. I tried the 255 Keith SWC but too hard on the gun IMHO. Can you use a lighter boolit - yep but you have less room for error.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."