Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: On the question of Ruger #1's.

Sounds like you have a winner..and in a very cool caliber!

The long neck of the cartridge appealed to me. I believe a long neck and multiple grease grooves make a good cast bullet combination.

There a place in South Central Florida called McDaniel's Ranch, about 20 miles north of I-75. I've hunted hogs there several times. Any good hog hunting where you are?

Take care, Tom

Plenty of good hog hunting around if you don't mind deep water and mosquitoes.

I have an early Ruger no.1 in 2506 that I bought for my father in the long ago. The rifle shot beautiful groups for a long while and then they opened up. I cleaned the dickens out of it and groups have tightened up again. I'll fiddle with the fore end a bit to see if that helps, but what the heck the thing still shoots minute of Jack Rabbit out to ridiculous ranges.

I don't see why we need sub MOA groups to hunt big game. Very Few people can shoot MOA without a bench, and even fewer will carry a bench into the field. Face it practical game ranges are under 250 yds, yeah I know about the guys shooting game a lot further, but they usually measure the distance by eye and think that their whatchamacallit is almost a foot long. I've seen a lot of 300 plus yd shots that were really between 100 and 150 yds. I also don't recall very many No.!'s used in bench rest matches. I also know that most bolt guns won't shoot as good as a No1. I think that we are demanding unreasonable accuracy from a rifle just because it looks different. Brodie

Hi Brodie,

I agree with you on most of what you said. My personal belief is that long range shooting on game is boring. When I hunt I want to get up close and personal with the animal. That's hunting. The shots that I'm most proud of were taken at 25 yards or less! I'm reminded of a passage in the book written by John Taylor, in which he said it was a waste to give a fine sporting rifle to one of his guides. The guide will scorch the hide of any game animal he shoots, so what does he care about accuracy?

It's a rare sight indeed to see a falling block of any kind at a bench rest match, and I've never seen a Ruger No. 1 so employed. That's beside the point, which is, they are very accurate hunting rifles. People complain, but I don't believe the complaints. I've never personally seen a new No. 1 that wouldn't shoot MOA. I've seen some that were butchered and shot poorly, but I suspect they shot just fine before being "fixed."

Take care, Tom

Hah... I remember reading an article that quoted a PH and competitive shooter, and his opinion is, a 1.5" gun will win any competition, the weak link is the shooter.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    Ruger #1's do show up in schuetzen bench rest matches. I have one in .32-40 that is very accurate, but it has a Ron Smith barrel. It's quite a bit better than either of the other #1's I've owned, but even the factory ones weren't too bad.

Chris.

After reading this post I think I will fire up the lead pot and cast some bullets to try the Ruger #1 heavy barrel I acquired a year ago but have never shot. I have several molds to try, so I will cast a few .457-191, and .457-193, and will probably try some .458-405 and .458-300 molds I use for my .458. Thanks for the inspiration.

Chuck

Boolit Buddy
    I am looking at a Ruger 1 SS 45 70 online. Seems steep at $1150 but these rifles are not at all common. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Rifle was sold..... Thinking Shiloh now.
    Last edited by Socal147; 12-14-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Personally, I like blue steel and walnut, but the stainless steel and laminated wood No. 1 rifles are nice too. They are certainly "bullet proof" hunting guns. You'll probably enjoy it.

Guy La Pourque
    Not to be a jerk, Geezer...but my old 25-06 No.1 would go 1/2" to 3/4" off the bench all day long. I bought it second hand for 500 bucks in 2001. Then I went dumpster diving in the bargain bin and got some Lee dies for $15.00! It's favourite load was those 85 grain Nosler ballistic tips sitting on 58 grains of IMR4350. People would see me shooting that beast and then dash out to the gun shop to buy one themselves. I probably sold more Ruger No. 1's than Bill Ruger did!

Get some good optics, seat those bullets out as far as they'll go and stay with the lighter bullets! Worked for me for years until I finally burned the throat out on it. I don't know how many pounds of gun powder went down that rifle's gullet but I was sure sad when the velocities fell off and the accuracy opened up. Good luck and have fun!

9.3x74R, 100 yards prone, six o-clock hold, 1-1/2" CTC, 270 grain LBT LFN GC at 1700 fps with WC860 and Federal 215 primer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Socal147 View Post
    I am looking at a Ruger 1 SS 45 70 online. Seems steep at $1150 but these rifles are not at all common. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Rifle was sold..... Thinking Shiloh now.
    I bought one new for $920 which I think was reasonable. I do think we have probably seen the last of the stainless #1's
    Last edited by Clay M; 12-22-2013 at 06:24 PM.