Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 90 of 130 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Quote Originally Posted by Ken73 View Post
    Interesting, I had not read any of the negatives of the Sears unit - anyone mind filling me in? I've been using mine without problems.. I have the HF unit as well, and two air compressors, but found the Sears unit easier to use.
    I read several reports of the plastic casing breaking, or being shipped broken, especially where the PC reservoir attaches, and difficulty finding extra reservoirs. Just what I read, never used one.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Boolit Man
    I got the Sears unit for $35 last year and I can tell you the reports of self-destructing are true.

Heck, I really have not even used it all that much and the plastic grip is crumbling and the reservoir lock snapped off. All of that is offset, of course, by the joy of needing to shake it like a Polaroid picture while you're using it so the powder will actually, you know, feed and stuff. That makes for some mighty even coverage, let me tell ya. Also, it may not hurt to have an oil filter wrench, breaker bar, and a Catholic priest to get the cap off the reservoir to refill it. The priest can help you clean up the spilled powder, too.

It may be the first time this has ever been uttered in the English language, but get the HF gun - it's much better quality. Oh, and btw, mine's for sale if anyone wants it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The HF PC guns use air because 1) it creates a "fluidized bed" in the jar, 2) the air propels the fluidized powder stream out of the gun.

I have and no problems with my HF set up. I have, as said, heard of others having some problems with the sears thing. And no, I cannot give you names and addresses and times and places! Just what I have heard blowin' in the wind.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    The HF PC guns use air because 1) it creates a "fluidized bed" in the jar, 2) the air propels the fluidized powder stream out of the gun.

I have and no problems with my HF set up. I have, as said, heard of others having some problems with the sears thing. And no, I cannot give you names and addresses and times and places! Just what I have heard blowin' in the wind.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezershooter View Post
    Nope, somebody else.

Boolit Master
    I wish they had additional reservoirs for sale for the H/F unit. The threads on them are different that the jars the powder comes in. I have thought about cutting off the one that comes with it, and attaching one of the jar lids instead so I can just put on the jars, and have an extra reservoir when it is empty for other colors.

My HF PC jars fit my HF gun, my first mistake was putting the PC jug on the gun - that doesn't work! My gun came with 1 extra empty jar. They traded out my black for red yesterday, no problem. Need to find my small funnel for pouring powder into the jug so I don't make a big mess.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    My HF gun quit working a couple months after the waranty ran out, went back to HF to get another one but they were out of stock. Ordered a "sears" gun off ebay, Big mistake, It is terrible. I get uneven coverage, and the powder doesnt stick well. Now on to the flaws of the gun itself. grip is cracked in several places even though it hasnt seen hard use, Reservoir is nearly impossible to get off unless you have a flat head screwdriver to pry it forward. the cap for the reservoir is nearly impostible to twist off after you have used the gun and powder has gotten in the channel for the lug to slide in. The HF is light years ahead of the sears unit in both design and quality. Ill be getting another HF gun after Christmas.

FINALLY something that allows me to shoot cast out of my 9mm!
    Hf powder coat red! Using acetone and tumble them in a plastic container and it coats them nicely.
    Shot 100 rounds today with a super clean barrel!

Going to PC some rifle boolits and see how it goes!
    1,000,000 peso man

Banned
    I have read all 90 pages in the last 2 weeks but I didn't take notes.
    I am ready to PC my first batch using HF black, I am looking for bake times and temps.
    I also have HF red and white and can't remember which one didn't work well?

Boolit Master
    fastfire
    I cook mine at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
    HF red and white both work the same. I have found in pistol loads color hasn't made any difference. There are a lot more opinions about HF black versus other colors as black Is matte and appears to be a tad bit course. Read on and make up your mind.
    Good luck and have fun !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    HF black, red, and white cover very well. The yellow tends not to cover the darker lead! Works well when mixing to get other colors.

I use ONLY the black on everything as I like the color and finish.

Per the directions................400F for 10 min. Only thing I use and it works perfectly. Just make sure your oven is accurate! DO NOT trust the temp dial on cheap toaster ovend. Get a good internal thermometer.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by fastfire View Post
    I have read all 90 pages in the last 2 weeks but I didn't take notes.
    I am ready to PC my first batch using HF black, I am looking for bake times and temps.
    I also have HF red and white and can't remember which one didn't work well?

Boolit Grand Master
    You do NOT want to put a full jar on the gun as I have warned about several times in the past!!! Even the directions tell you to put ONLY about 1.5" of powder in the jar. You are creating a fluidized bed in there and MUST have a lot of room for the powder to be "liquid". A full jar will only lead to big clumps coming out and VERY poor results and massive amounts of wasted powder.

Follow the directions and use the empty jars that come with it an keep the powder in the jar you bought it in.

No they do NOT fit the gun!

banger

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I wish they had additional reservoirs for sale for the H/F unit. The threads on them are different that the jars the powder comes in. I have thought about cutting off the one that comes with it, and attaching one of the jar lids instead so I can just put on the jars, and have an extra reservoir when it is empty for other colors.

Banned
    I bought a Breville smart oven, I think there suposed to be accurate for temp settings, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    HF black, red, and white cover very well. The yellow tends not to cover the darker lead! Works well when mixing to get other colors.

I use ONLY the black on everything as I like the color and finish.

Per the directions................400F for 10 min. Only thing I use and it works perfectly. Just make sure your oven is accurate! DO NOT trust the temp dial on cheap toaster ovend. Get a good internal thermometer.

banger

400F for 10 min. - interesting, mine say an extra 15-20 min after they glaze over. And mine fit the gun, at least the white jug did. No matter, I cook for ~ 1 hr. then WD.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    400F for 10 min. - interesting, mine say an extra 15-20 min after they glaze over. And mine fit the gun, at least the white jug did. No matter, I cook for ~ 1 hr. then WD.
    Whatever floats your boat!

I have done thousands of boolits using only the 400F for 10 min rule. They all pass the hammer test and shoot with no smoke and NO LEADING! And have perfect flawless smooth coating.

I think your 1 hour time is wasting valuable time. I can coat and bake hundreds of slugs in an hour. But if you are having the success you are happy with.....excellent!

Good luck!

banger

Banger - cook for WD my alloy, correct, the extra time is not needed for the coating. I've cooked for the 10 min and they appear fine. Just stating the supplier's instructions. I think the extra time is to insure the boolit & coating completely get to cure temp., the melt & flow time is different from the total cure time.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Mine in HF red do perfectly with the 400 for 20 mins, but yes the red HF instructions are to bake for an additional 15-20 after gloss over. I have not had any problems with the 20 minute bake on any of my boolits. The candy colors that I have played with, must be baked at 350 or they will smoke like mad and run off the boolits and puddle in the pan. (I didn't have directions for the candy colors, I bought them off Fleabay)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned

PC'd my first boolits,with HF red.

PC'd my first boolits,with HF red.
    These were sized .452 before and after PC, The sizing after left scratches or scrapes.
    I prewarmed them,PD'c and cooked 15 min after they glazed at 400.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SIZED PC'D.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    They look a little dark. ('could just be the camera). These have been sized after coating, and then resized to add a PB gas check, and they didn't scratch. Was your sizing die clean? That looks a little like they were smeared with something darker.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.