Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Help with stuck 7.62x54R primer!

Boolit Buddy

Help with stuck 7.62x54R primer!

Sat down to prep some commercial 7.62x54R brass recently, and ran shells through the ol' RCBS FL size/decap die. Most went smoothly, 1 primer stuck to the walls of the pocket and the depriming pin tore the top out of the primer, leaving the walls stuck to the pocket sides! I've never had that happen before, checked with a buddy that has a swager, but he said it will only trim the lip of the pocket, not "bore out" the excess primer material.

Any favorite techniques on getting the primer remains out of the cup without damaging the brass? Reloadable in this caliber is hard to find, and I don't want to waste it!

Boolit Grand Master

Hold the case in a vise. Use a sharp punch (like ice pick) in hole and pry out. A flat screw drive on the edge of the case rim will give leverage.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

I never had that happen before, but last week I deprimed several thousand cases, and 8 did the same thing. It's not a big deal, but glad to know I'm not alone.

Boolit Master

I usually find a screw with a flat end the right size that I can screw into the primer. When it bottoms out, it starts pulling the prime up and out of the pocket.Keep turning the screw and the primer will walk right out. Save the screw for extracting other primers the same size by using a set of pliers to turn the primer back off the screw.

Don't forget to use a primer pocked uniformer to clean it up a bit.

Boolit Master

I have had that happen with military type primers that were crimped in. Larry gave you a good tip. I have so much Lake City 7.62 brass laying around I simply threw mine away.

I have usually taken a small fine point punch and when put between the primer and the cae..almost always dimples it to where you can then get a small flat tip screwdriver in there to weasel out the primer wall ring. For hard to obtain calibers this is a must !.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.