Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9 point vs subsonic cast lead powder coated hollow point

Very interesting thread, and pictures. Thank you.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Greetings and Congradulations !
    Excellent in all aspects !
    What is your barrel twist ? I ask due to being a 300 BLK shooter also. I bought the 247 mold and look forward to working it next time up north.
    Have you tried 50-50 mix ? At those slow velocities I wonder what base pressure is ? Certainly cannot be much at all.
    I do know 50-50 out of my SKS (155 grains at 1550) does not break up in water jugs.
    Range lead (mine) at about 1000 fps in my 44WCF turns inside but does not break off.
    But that broke off nose does give a secondary projectile inside the cavity causing havock.
    This is very informative and I have much enjoyed the read and excellent photos !
    Mike in Peru
    The AAC model 7 is a 1 in 7 twist. However I have also shot it in 1 in 10, and 1 in 8.5. good accuracy. However loading it in a .308 winchester behind some red dot powder gives me a 3 shot 1 hole group. It also has a 1 in 10 twist.

I have pretty much stuck with straight wheel weights. I have used some softer lead, but at sub velocities I simply get little to no disruption in the boolit. Hollow pointing it makes all the difference. My son took a Doe earlier this season with the 155 loaded in my .308 winchester. pushing 2200fps blew the biggest exit wound i have ever seen in a white tail deer. Testing it in water jugs and wet paper. i got really good mushrooming. I need to run some test as slower velocities to see how low I can go to get a good msuhroom.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Magana559 View Post
    First of all Congratulations!
    second of all, thank you for the internals photos. I always like to see real world ballistics and would channels.
    I also enjoy seeing actual damage. I think ballistic gel gives a good idea, as well as the other cheaper methods of water jugs or stacked wet paper. But none of these truly can tell you the results until a living breathing thing is shot with them. Even I have been surprised by some of my results. Sometimes the bullet seems to perform better in my testing then it does on game and sometimes it performs better on game then it did in my testing.