RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What magazines are tried and true for the 1911?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Another question...

Is anything about the magazine an integral part of the firearms break-in process? (I'm coming from the six-gun side of the house). I ask this because I'd like to feed the weapon about 500 rds of factory FMJ for the 'break in' period before I start reloading for it. 500 rds is going to cost a pretty penny and I want to make sure my money goes to the right components.
    Yes and no...the magazine will obviously play a roll in the function of a 1911. The only way I would consider needing to run several hundred rounds through a specific magazine would be for carry. I never had problems with the ACT mag that came with my RI 1911. In fact, it functioned fine in all my .45's.

I'm not sure why you think you need the 500 round factory FMJ break in either, but that's spending a pretty penny for something completely unnecessary. I know my RI never even had a factory round through it. Invest in molds and lead and shoot more....if you run into some kind of problem you can't sort through then buy a box or 3 of factory ammo.

Boolit Master
    Ultramag: I'm under the impression that RIA consideres their 1911 broke in at 500 rnds. Perhaps I'm mistaking about the type of ammo?

Chip McCormick "Shooting Star" stainless 8 round magazines work for me
    I used Devel and Pachmayer before that and in the beginning GI & Colt
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

For target shooting, who cares? If my life depends on the reliability of a 1911, Wilson is the only way to go in my opinion.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Ultramag: I'm under the impression that RIA consideres their 1911 broke in at 500 rnds. Perhaps I'm mistaking about the type of ammo?
    I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't run fine out of the box. It's not made tight enough to need what I consider "break in". Either way, unless you have some kind of troubles with your reloads, the need for factory ammo isn't real. Even then, it's just a good verification of is something wrong with the gun, or the ammo....no need for 500 rds. IMO. I even broke in my Les Baer with reloads last year.

As stated before, my RIA 1911 ran fine on my standard reloads, ate everything and had no issues function wise right out of the box. I did detail strip it before it was ever fired and cleaned the excessive oil it was covered in from the factory. I just hate to see a guy drop $300 bucks on factory ammo for no reason. If you load .45 ACP I'd sure try before laying out the cash on factory loads.

Boolit Master
    I don't reload for it yet. That is good news though. I'll probably run 50-100 rds of winchester white box through it to get the feel for how it operates, then use my once fired brass for reloads. I'll have to get a set of dies and a mold before the reloading begins. At least I'll have some brass to work with by that point. Thanks

Chip McCormick I have 12 mags used every Thursday night for Action Pistol

Boolit Bub
    For matches, target shooting, plinking most anything of quality works. The Wilson is a quality magazine but I will not use it for self-defense. I use it in action shooting matches for over twenty years and they work great. (I still have some that I bought in 87 as the Wilson-Rogers match magazine.) If my life depends on it, I will only use a 1911 seven rounds magazine without a removable base plate. I have seen (only once, but I guess it is enough) how at the worst time, the base plate came off the magazine while the magazine was in the gun. A welded base plate is one less thing to worry about getting unfastened. It takes ten second longer to dismantle for cleaning, but it is bullet proof system. Also, I never found eight rds. follower that was as reliable for me as the original seven rds. follower. I tried them all from Devel (later shooting star/McCormick) in the eighties through the new polymer ones etc. But again they are very good for sport shooting. If I need to buy a self-defense 1911 magazines today it will be the 7rds non removable plate magazine made by Mecgar. I think that they make the majority of the magazines on the market these days. I have a bunch of old series 70s Colt magazine that were made by Mecgar. bearbud

Boolit Grand Master

Macormack Shooting Star mags sometimes spread the lips and give issues with feeding.
    I'd take the metal 3D folded follower Metalforms over them any time, with genuine GI lipped
    mags - ONLY available new now from Checkmate - as an equal unless you are shooting
    very short nosed SWCs. Anything like H&G 68 or TCs or RN and the GI mags are probably the
    most reliable and keep the gun as a controlled round feed design like John Browning
    intended. The majority today have early release and parallel lips, removing the controlled
    round feeding and stressing the extractor a lot more than ever intended. Hybrids with
    tapered lips and early release are pretty good - Colts are this way.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 12-05-2013 at 02:20 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Groo here
    In my experience Wilsons were the WORST mags I ever got.
    If you shoot hardball, Milspec mags will be best as the feed lips were designed just for that round.
    If target swc rounds there is a design for that.
    If all, most new aftermarket mags used a modified version that splits the difference.
    The best mags I have found in many different guns is Metalform, they just seem to work.
    I try to stay with as close to mill spec in loads and handloads as possible,just to keep things simple.

I use Chip Mcormick
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Perma-Banned

Wilson is still my favorite mag. I do have mccormicks also and have not had a problem but I like the wilson combat ones.

Boolit Grand Master
    The McCormick Shooting Star magazines were never intended for full power rounds. That some use them is not necessarily an endorsement, as they are more likely to malfunction than designs more suited to full power ammo.

The most "tried and true" 1911 magazines are those that feed the 1911 the way the original designer intended it to be fed. That would be a tapered lip magazine. If your magazine does not have tapered feed lips, it does not feed the 1911 the way JMB intended it to be fed. This is a step backward in reliability.

The interesting and rather sad part is most don't know this. The lips of the magazine were specified to be tapered for a reason. JMB knew what straight feed lips were and declined to use them in his design.

Boolit Buddy
    Chip McCormick "Shooting Star"

Boolit Bub
    The last bastion of liberal thought in Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    The McCormick Shooting Star magazines were never intended for full power rounds. That some use them is not necessarily an endorsement, as they are more likely to malfunction than designs more suited to full power ammo.

The most "tried and true" 1911 magazines are those that feed the 1911 the way the original designer intended it to be fed. That would be a tapered lip magazine. If your magazine does not have tapered feed lips, it does not feed the 1911 the way JMB intended it to be fed. This is a step backward in reliability.

The interesting and rather sad part is most don't know this. The lips of the magazine were specified to be tapered for a reason. JMB knew what straight feed lips were and declined to use them in his design.
    Quote Originally Posted by philthephlier View Post
    Chip McCormick "Shooting Star"
    So, now we have a conundrum

Boolit Master
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Ser...oductinfo/608/

I picked up 3 of these and 100rds of Armscore 230gr fmj. I figured everyone seemed to agree that Wilson was a decent brand. I chose the 7 rnd because it seemed "simple". I've noticed that people have complained from time to time with 8 rounders feeding. I also like the low profiled of the 7 rnd.

I hope everyone agrees that these will do the trick. I'll be shooting lead after my first 100 rds, so maybe these will be satisfactory.

Animal, we don't have to agree - your pistol has to agree
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    The fact is, Shooting Star magazines were never intended for full power rounds, just as I've stated. If anyone wants to know why, I'd be happy to elaborate.

Information, correct information, is a wonderful thing.

No conundrum here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Animal, we don't have to agree - your pistol has to agree
    Indeed!

Boolit Master

Checkmate
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!