WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Cheap Chronographs, any suggestions?

I have the F1 master Chrony and love it. Unfortunately, it does not love 12 bore BP slug loads. Ahh, but being the foresighted genius that I am, I bought the optional plexi guards. Good thing too because an over powder card wad or a lube cookie at 1200fps really makes a mess of a naked Chrony. Also, get some 1/8" dowels and replace the steel rods with them. Muzzle blast from a Big Boy can hurl the screens into the next county so break-away rods are an excellent way to limit that travel.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie
    Tripod? I was just going to hang it from the end of my bayonet.
    Then it can be used for shots at running game...
    If you pick cloudy days for hunting you won't even have to use the "sky screens". They can get in the way of your vision as you're figuring out your "forward allowance" on that running shot......

Dennis

A little British lingo there...

And if I would have written "lead" you might have thought it was "led" instead of "leed"......

(Sorry, too much coffee)
    Last edited by Bucks Owin; 04-25-2006 at 02:55 PM.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 454PB
    And I hope you know I was just "jabbing" you.
    Yup...I knew. And I didn't find it to be uncomfortable. I just used the jab as an opportunity remind myself of why I don't have one...and to convince myself (a little more) that I should-oughta get one...
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Bub
    I know this is a dated thread but was wondering what chronographs people are liking these days? I will be mainly using it for developing pistol loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsights View Post
    Chrony F1 (aprox $80) or Chrony Master (with remote - aprox $110)

Double that or more for anything else.

The Master also lets you download your strings to a PC for quick data manipulation.
    +1 on the F-1 Chrony.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Beekeeper
    Even thoI fear I will be laughed at I researched chronys for a couple of years, watched others use theirs and saw some falacies in all of them .
    That said I bought the Magneto-speed style chrony.
    It works great , you do not have to go down range to set it up or change anything.
    It does give a little different reading as the chrony is at the muzzle instead of 15 feet or more down range.
    When you are finished with it the complete unit fits in a plastic pistol case, Mine was a 45 cal case.
    A little more expensive than the regular chrony but after shooting one and buying a new one you pay for a magneto-speed.

beekeeper

Boolit Master

Beekeeper,

No laughing at you here. The 2 problems with the Chrony Master is that it cannot be used in certain conditions & locations and that it sometimes becomes the bullet catcher.

The Magneto-speed looks interesting but appears that it cannot be used with auto pistols. The up-side is that you can use this at indoor ranges where the setup of a traditional chrony is not allowed.

I think I found my Christmas from me to me gift. Thanks for the mention as I had no idea this product existed.

Beekeeper
    It comes in 2 styles an F1 and F2 as I remember.
    Basicly the only diference I saw was the case so I bought the cheaper one and installed it in a pistol case versus cardboard box.
    I ordered it and it was at my door 6 days later.
    So far it has worked flawlessly. The instructions are a little short "or so it seems for an old guy like me"but if you play with it you will find it will give you everything a trypod mounted one will.

beekeeper

Boolit Buddy
    Chrony is all I need.

I bought a Chrony F1 at a garage sale a few months ago. Good to hear that it was a worthwhile find. I will check out their web site as I might want to upgrade. Thanks.
    Chuck

Boolit Master

I just looked and Amazon has the Chrony F1 Master for $95. What a coincidence, my son just asked what I want for Christmas

Boolit Master

The Competition Electronics ProChrono has served me well for 7 years. It will record 9 shot strings of up to 99 shots and gives all of the standard stats- Hi, Lo, Avg, Std Deviation, Extreme Spread, number of shots for about $120.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

If you only want to know more or less what the muzzle velocity is and don't mind some added frustration thrown in for free, then a Chrony will do. If you are looking for accurate consistent readings shot after shot, then you need something like the CED M2 with infra red lights above the screens.
    There is nothing like a Oehler 35, but I believe that they are not producing them anymore, though I heard that they will be available again soon?