Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody making a single shot in 32-20 (32 WCF)?

Boolit Master
    If you use 360 DW brass you can have a rimmed 300 blk. Much easier to form brass, just run it through the fl sizer, no trimming. You'll have to have the breech bored for the rim and perhaps a little bit of grinding on the extractor, but the 300 blk handi-rifles can be purchased new for ~$350.

As to why one would want a 32-20 vs. a 30-30, when it comes to shooting the lighter 30 caliber bullets, i.e. 120 gr and lighter, a smaller capacity case and chamber with a shorter throat is more than likely going to make it easier to get top accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Send the barrel to John Taylor to have it linered. Easy.
    Exactly right.

Boolit Master

I too have become interested in a .32-20 single shot. But I'd like a traditional style rifle like a #2 or #1-1/2 rolling block or a low wall, original or repro. This past year I've been doing a lot of shooting with a #4 rolling block converted to .32 long colt. Its a lot of fun, but I'd like something a little bigger and think a .32-20 would be ideal. But browsing the usual internet sites, they seem to be very scarce.

I'm not sure of the availability of the uberti .32-20 low wall, but it seems like a good option. Do any of you have experience with this rifle?

I finally got a few pictures of some single shot 32-20 rifles I made up, one is a #4mk1 Lee Enfield that was previously bubba'd. and the other was a beat up Swedish 20 gage rolling block I turned down a #1mk3 barrel to fit inside. ( a 16 gage would have required a lot less turning down ! ) anyway it turned out pretty well, I had to trim down the but stock lots to remove all the cracks and chips, it was pretty rough. and the barrel was a jungle carbine some "gun smith" had drilled and tapped the barrel right through the chamber ! so it became a 32-20 insert for a 12 gage shotgun. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe riley & guns 044.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	92173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe riley & guns 045.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	92174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathe riley & guns 047.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	92175

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Mold
    I also have a .32/20 Contender barrel, 10 inch. Just for fun, I stirred up some mild cast bullet loads, put a red dot sight on top, and dialed it in at 100 yards on 8" steel plates. Gun goes bang, then a couple of moments of silence, steel plate goes binnnngg!, grins and laughter all around. Loads of fun, cheap to shoot, mild recoil --what's not to like? .32/20's are tons of fun.

ndnchf, check your pm re; 32/20 #1-1/2 Rem.
    kootne

Boolit Master
    I got a TC barrel with the IHMSA Hunter sight set-up over the winter. I have been assembling components, dies and molds. I will ready to go in the spring.
    I like the idea of shooting nice small boolits with 3-7grs of powder. Cheap and fun, I hope.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Buddy
    I just scanned the replies, and didn't see this but I might have missed it -- grab an old Remington Rolling Block in .32 rimfire, and ream the chamber, then convert the block from rimfire to centerfire. A good gunsmith should be able to do it easily enough, or you can do it yourself if you have the tools. Then you'll have a great old rifle with a period cartridge that should drive tacks.

I'm a great fan of the .32-20 myself.
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA
    SASS #102029, Alias "Layte Comer"

Boolit Master

I have two Remington rolling block .32 rimfire rifles, a #4 and a #2. Their groove diameter's run around .308" - .3085". The .32-20 nominal groove size is .312" and some run to .313". Chambering one of these rifles to .32-20 would require a very undersize bullet for the .32-20 case. I think it would be difficult to crimp a bullet that small without a custom made die. Also the rate of twist is faster for a .32-20's heavier bullet.

BTW, a #2 RRB is a wonderful size rifle and ideal for a .32-20 with a proper bore. But I would not chamber a #4 in .32-20. It is much too powerful for this little action.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I have two Remington rolling block .32 rimfire rifles, a #4 and a #2. Their groove diameter's run around .308" - .3085". The .32-20 nominal groove size is .312" and some run to .313". Chambering one of these rifles to .32-20 would require a very undersize bullet for the .32-20 case. I think it would be difficult to crimp a bullet that small without a custom made die. Also the rate of twist is faster for a .32-20's heavier bullet.

BTW, a #2 RRB is a wonderful size rifle and ideal for a .32-20 with a proper bore. But I would not chamber a #4 in .32-20. It is much too powerful for this little action.
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I have the Lyman mold for the 115 grain FN bullet, and with my alloy, they actually drop out of the mold at .311". I think that the bullet could easily be sized down to .308"-.309" for the smaller bore, and since the difference is only .002"-.003", the case should hold it just fine, provided that the expander ball isn't pushed down too far into the neck. As far as the twist goes, the .32 rimfire long came with a 90 grain bullet. I'd think that any twist rate that can stabilize a 90 grain bullet can also stabilize a 115 grain bullet, provided that the velocities are similar. That shouldn't be a problem with the larger case capacity of the .32-20.
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA

Boolit Master
    Redding makes a die set for the 32-20 they call 30-20TC for the T/C Contender 32-20 which has a .308 bore.They work good for a .308 bore contender.......Terry

Boolit Master

A .32-20 conversion from .32 rimfire is an interesting idea, I just don't know how well it would work. Tom - have you actually done this conversion? I'd like to hear from someone who has done it and can provide actual results. I've been shooting my #2 RRB (it is actually chambered in .32 extra long rimfire) using my own reloadable cases. The bore is pretty badly worn and results have been mediocre. So I'm considering my options. There would not be much point in rechambering this rifle, but a relining and chambering to .32-20 or reboring to .38 may be in it's future. But there are a lot of other .32 rimfire rifles out there with good bores that would be possible candidates for rechambering, if it would really work well.

Boolit Master

If you own a T/C Contender or Encore E Arthur Brown can make you a light weight 32-20.

http://eabco.com/cntndr01.html
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    You want (as do I ) a Savage 219. 32-20 is fairly easy to find. I want one in 30-30
    30-30's are easy to find up here... NEVER seen a 32-20. But I keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    If you've got an H&R 12 ga. or 20 ga. barrel, you can have a 32-20 or a 25-20 made for $300....
    Don't I wish! $300 up here, would barely buy a barrel... wouldn't start to touch the cost of machining.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Grand Master
    Before you guys try to rechamber a No 2 or 4 Remington Rolling Block to .32-20, you might want to look up a copy of Frank de Hass' Single Shot Rifles and Actions.

It has been a few years since I read the book, and unfortunately I cannot find my copy right now; but as I remember it: he did not recommend the No4 for anything larger than the .32 S&W Long on the non-takedown model and the No 2 he wrote that he did not think it was fully suited to the HV Rifle loads in .32-20.

Make haste slowly when it comes to modifying a rifle that is over 100 years old.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    Could someone post John Taylor's contact info please? Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHMX View Post
    Could someone post John Taylor's contact info please? Thanks
    John Taylor is a member here on the forum. PM him for his information.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    A .32-20 conversion from .32 rimfire is an interesting idea, I just don't know how well it would work. Tom - have you actually done this conversion? I'd like to hear from someone who has done it and can provide actual results. I've been shooting my #2 RRB (it is actually chambered in .32 extra long rimfire) using my own reloadable cases. The bore is pretty badly worn and results have been mediocre. So I'm considering my options. There would not be much point in rechambering this rifle, but a relining and chambering to .32-20 or reboring to .38 may be in it's future. But there are a lot of other .32 rimfire rifles out there with good bores that would be possible candidates for rechambering, if it would really work well.
    I don't personally know someone that has done it, however Larry Potterfield (owner of MidwayUSA) has a video on his website showing him doing the identical rechambering and firing pin modification to a #1 RRB. Just go to the video library page, and use the "search videos" tool to search for .32-20, and it comes right up. It's a simple job; I have to tools to do it in my shop, except for the chambering reamer. Now, if i could just afford a #1 in .32 RF...

I don't know the guy, but I enjoy his gunsmithing videos. I've been dealing with his company for over 20 years, and they have always treated me very well, and that attitude has to come from the top down. So, watch the video, and decide how much credence to put into it for yourself.
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA

Boolit Master

Tom - I saw that video a while back, but had forgotten about it, so I watched it again. I too enjoy Larry's videos, he makes everything look so easy. I was a little surprised by his comment that .32-20 and .32 rimfire have the same bore size. I can't confirm that statement, but I have no reason to doubt his word. But curious, I dug out an 1890s era Ideal reloading manual that has a list of period bullet specs and rates of twist for Remington rifles. To my surprise, the Remington .32-20 and .32 rimfire short, long and extra long all use the same twist: 1-20. There is no bullet listing for .32 rimfire, I suppose that is because it cannot be reloaded. The .32-20 bullet is listed as .311". I suppose that is close enough for use in a .308" - .309" groove barrel.

So the bottom line is that it seems that rechambering a .32 rimfire Remington rolling block #1, #1-1/2 or #2 to .32-20 is a viable option. The only unknown is how well it would really shoot. I'd sure like to hear from someone who has done it!

Boolit Buddy
    I supposed it all comes down to where you get your information... Ammoguide.com lists the bullet diameter on the .32 Long Rimfire as .316".

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=641

Best thing to do, of course, would be to pick up a gun, slug the barrel or cast the chamber, and measure it.
    Tom Herbert
    Katy, Texas, USA