Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How far can you drag a deer?

Boolit Master

Deer cart. Best $50 you'll ever spend. I hauled a doe almost 2 miles last year and it was no big deal. Even hauled two deer on it once about 3/4 of a mile. It takes about 1/4 the effort of dragging with a shoulder harness, and I don't even want to think about dragging a doe by the legs for 2 miles.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Vendor Sponsor

I carry an air tire hand truck, one with the stair rails on the back above the tires. Ratchet straps hold the deer on and it makes it a lot easier.

Boolit Master
    If you are going more than a mile in. Carry a backpack. Put your lunch, water, ammo, survival kit, flares for those times you have a compound fracture...and can't walk no more. Carry a small tarp for boning. Wrap the meat in the tarp. Small hatchet. Bone out the meat leave the ribs and backbone out there in the woods. I don't even bring back the antlers anymore.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Moderator Emeritus

25 years ago I drug a buck 3 miles and wore the hide off of his rump. He ate fine. Ten years ago I drug a whole 6x5 Elk downhill 1.5 miles until I hit a gully and had to go for the rig.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Not near as far as I could 30 years ago.

Boolit Grand Master

I no longer try to drag by myself. Last two deer were loaded into the back of the truck at no more than a 20 foot drag. Old Pa dutch saying, "Ve got to soon old and too late smart"
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    I no longer try to drag by myself.
    Wait til you have spinal fusion surgery, it makes a capstan winch & 1000ft of rope invaluable! Can't drive out in the winter wheat fields ya know. Any more, I do good to drag my own fat **** back out of my hunting spots, much less drag a dead deer.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    That plastic snow sled works fine over snow or dirt!
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master
    Deer cart, plastic snow sled and a wife that hunts and helps!
    Priceless!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11-18-09 JM.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	88286

Attachment 88288

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cindy deer 11-17-02.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	88291

Winelover

Boolit Master
    In my younger days, I used to drag them a lot further than I do now! A neat technique I used was to tie the fore legs up into the rack of a buck and then a nylon double looped sling around the neck and the loose loop went over my shoulder and gave me something to hang onto when the dragging began. Much easier to drag when the fore legs aren't slopping and flopping around.

As I've grown older, I've noticed the deer appear to be browsing closer to my rig!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    I learned a long time ago to hunt up....drag down....works well in the black hills of wyoming....

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jal5 View Post
    That plastic snow sled works fine over snow or dirt!
    Good Morning;

This is what I opted for. $10 sled, $5 of 5/8" rope, and a HD bucket with lid. I pack the extra cloths in the bucket, snap the seat/lid on, lash it to the sled, and then carry the whole thing like a backpack.

Now all I need is to shoot a deer.

Thanks again,
    D
    Never trust a skinny chef, a fat personal trainer, or anyone who can't stand beer.

Blessed are those who are cracked, for they shall let in the light.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    The last deer I harvested was done during an Arizona archery season. It was a smallish whitetail. After field dressing it couldn't have weighed more than 100 pounds of so.

It was a little over a mile back to my vehicle. That one mile had only a few shallow ups and downs in the terrain but even still, that one-hundred pound buck felt more like it weighed a ton after the first one-hundred yards.

The excitement of the hunt and the excitement of the kill wore off pretty quickly cause, on this hunt, I had to do all the hauling, dragging and straining by myself. Only after I finally got back to the truck did that excitement come back.

At or around the half-mile mark I started cutting off body parts just to lighten the load. It was a mistake to have cut the legs off up to the elbows. If it weren't for the drag-rope I carried in my backpack, I'm not sure what I would have done. I really didn't want to cut it in half and make that trip twice.

When I finally did make it back to the truck, there was no fur left on the entire right side of that deer carcass.

I was hunting on top of a mountain called Sugar Loaf Mountain just east of Mesa, Arizona. I seen several deer that day. The one I got just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was the last weekend of December and that year's archery deer season.

Interesting side note; In Arizona, the current year's archery deer season ends at the end of December. In Arizona, that same archery deer season extends into January of the following year but, you have to get a new hunting license and a new archery deer tag.

I did just that and the following weekend I was back out at the same spot trying to get another one of those small whitetails I'd seen. I never saw another deer when I went back but, I did get trapped by gun-fire on top of that same mountain while I was trying to get back to my truck.

On the top of this particular mountain is a mesa that extends nearly its entire top; (hence the name Sugar-Loaf mountain) it's flat with only slight terrain variation. On the way back to the truck this second time out, I got to the edge of the mesa just above my truck and found a couple of guys target shooting into the side of the mountain. The volcanic boulders that make up the side of this mountain were causing their ricochets whiz dangerously close to my body so I had to hit the dirt till they stopped firing.

I had visions of me being dragged off that mountain.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

It is much easier to drag a dead deer than push it.
    In field dressing any big game, 1) get the guts out 2) get it cooling, 3) get the blood out.
    Any dragging that does not break bones and the blood is out of the meat is not going to do much damage at all.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    As far as I need to, and not one step further than I have to!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I was lucky this time, maybe 300 yards, all down hill.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    This year for me the distance wasn't too bad (quarter mile). it was constantly having to get the deer over dead falls. Kevin

This brings back memories of my first mule deer buck shot in N.Dak. It was down in a butte valley in western N.D.. My hunting buddy and I were both Juniors in high school and in wrestling did all we could to drag that over 200 lbs. field dressed buck 1/4 of a mile to the trunk of a early 60's Ford Falcon. We didn't even bring rope. My feet and back hurt from that memory but we learned.

Banned

stuff them in a tractor tire then roll it down the hill...

In or out of season? Day or night? Too many variables...I need more specifics.

Murphy

P.S.: Don't be hatin', this was long ago.
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.