RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: It's an "I've learned my lesson!" thread. Tell us one thing that you won't do again?

In Remembrance
    When my son was 12 or 13 years old, his class was selling something for a fundraiser. He waited until the last day before he started selling his share and left around 5 in the evening. He come dragging back in around 11 that night so I ask him where the heck he had been. He told me he had been over at a new ranchers house that had just moved in about 4 miles from us. I ask if he bought anything, and he said no that they had just been talking, it seemed that he was a retired state cop, that just happened to be from where I had gone to high school. lol It seems he heard stories he wasn't ever suppose to hear. lol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    We learned in boyscouts to jump in clothed and to use your pants for a makeshift life preserver.
    Nearly Veterans Day so remember the flotation drill in boot camp...using your "dixie cup"...I was a WSI at the time so I thought it humorous, but the Company Commander did NOT.
    Last edited by DRNurse1; 11-10-2013 at 09:54 PM.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Buddy
    I will never again fill a contractor size garbage bag with accetaline and oxygen and set it off. The bag must of had a leak in it, the last thing I remember was trying to get a bic lighter to work to light the fuse, while standing directly over it.
    The blast shredded most of my clothing and ripped the straw hat off my head hard enough to turn the crown inside out, while creating a fifteen foot crop circle in my fathers alfalfa field. The blast was the last thing I was able to hear for several days.

I will never grab the front brakes on a ten speed while doing 30 miles an hour again.I looked like superman for a second or two.Till gravity and the road taught me why this was a bad idea.In my defence i was about 12 at the time.I also will not hit a inflated tire with a hammer again busted my head open when the hammer flow back and out like a lite.I have lots of stories from when i was a kid.I'm sure glad I got a little smarter.Lots of great stories from you guys and gals.I've really laughed at some of them.Thanks

In Remembrance
    The hammer and tire thing reminded me of one I witnessed. I watched our foreman (short term) at lunch one day decide he would stop an air leak in a road grader tire by driving a screw in the hole with a 2 pound hammer, that we used for driving stakes. He smacked the tire and knocked him self out cold. When lunch was over we went back to work leaving him laying there. He came to after a while, but was pretty quiet the rest of the day. lol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    fall a sleep on top of the pool table. never let the bouncer take you out the back door. things I wont do again.
    I've fallen asleep both on and under pool tables. Luckily it was at a friends house and not a bar. Slate is not good to sleep on....

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    Strip the insulation off of a connected telephone wire with my teeth, hurts like the dickens if it rings.
    I did Telephone work for over 35 years and that's one trick I never tried

Quote Originally Posted by timspawn View Post
    Been there. I believe it rings up right at 90 volts. Damn near wet myself in a customers house. Always used my strippers after that.
    The systems I am familiar with ring at 105VAC. Hurts like heck standing on wet ground as well!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Moderator Emeritus

I've learned that 2-cycle oil comes in one version for air-cooled (e.g., chainsaw, weed-whackers) equipment, with a different for water-cooled (e.g. outboards) motors. The idea that 50:1 outboard mix is the same as 50:1 for the chainsaw... an expensive lesson to not repeat...

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Don't throw twelve sticks of dynamite with a burning fuse into six INCHES of water...... that you "thought" was six or eight FEET deep....
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    Howdy !

Spend 5 minutes splicing an electric fence... when my Mother turned it on @ 4.

Regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Buddy

NEVER reach into a radar unit at 3 in morning to make 1 last adjustment $@#% 27K magnatron few minutes of my life I will never get back

When jumping your bike over trash cans ensure front wheel is secured to the bike properly

ALWAYS lean forward when avoiding tree branches while duck hunting in a canoe and it is cold enough to freeze your jacket before you get back to the truck

The day at 38 years old that you realize your reflexes don't improve as you get older while playing 3rd base when the 20 something kid is hitting ( slow pitch ) yeah it leaves a mark

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by sljacob View Post
    I will never again fill a contractor size garbage bag with accetaline and oxygen and set it off. The bag must of had a leak in it, the last thing I remember was trying to get a bic lighter to work to light the fuse, while standing directly over it.
    The blast shredded most of my clothing and ripped the straw hat off my head hard enough to turn the crown inside out, while creating a fifteen foot crop circle in my fathers alfalfa field. The blast was the last thing I was able to hear for several days.
    Friend of mine did that in his back yard. he was far enough away he didn't get hurt but it blew out every window on that side of the house. I never did it but learned not to do it anyway.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master
    Won't repeat this interchange.... or those similar:

Dollface - "..... What makes YOU think you can fix EVERYTHING around the house !?!! You're not Bob Villa !! ".....

Self - "..... Babe.... you bake cakes, and...... you aint' Betty Crocker ! "

Regards,
    357Mag

Moderator Emeritus

Try Oxy/acetylene in a potato cannon made with iron plumbing pipe. We sent a flaming tennis ball into a dry brush filled hillside over a block away... burned 40 acres of brush alongside the road.

Boolit Buddy

I know a guy who did that with a 6 foot weather balloon. Took 1 big tank of accetaline and two oxygen. Used a 30 minute cannon fuse. Blew a 3 foot deep crater and broke windows a way away.

Thing was, it was close to the Columbia Gas underground storage area.

Never seen so many cops and CG company cars driving around. Even the Highway Patrol sent over their radar airplane to look for the blast area.
    What would you have if you woke up tomorrow with only what you thanked the Lord for today?

Boolit Buddy
    I just found this thread..... I can relate...

I’ll never check an electric stove burner coil to see if its hot by touching it.
    I’ll never listen to my big brother and lick a 9v to see if its any good.
    I’ll never get in the way of a spooked cow and a barn wall.
    I’ll never hit a roll of caps on a metal plate with a ball peen hammer, had a red third eye for a week.
    I’ll always keep my other hand in my back pocket when doing hot electrical work.
    I’ll never make fun of an obese person just because I can run faster, when he does catch you he can put you under his arm and run around the shop even though you are 6 ft tall.
    I’ll never troubleshoot a furnace thermocouple control box till I know if the gas valve is bad. My eyebrows still grow in funny.
    I’ll always use jack stands or blocks as well as a jack when I’m under a vehicle.
    I’ll put the soldering iron back into the holder so I don’t wonder who is cooking pork.
    I’ll never volunteer to hold the guide arm for the platoon when running in formation.
    I’ll always be afraid when a buddy says “Hey Guys – Watch this!

I’ll not stick around when I hear a southern girl say “Oh Hell No!” after I’ve done something.
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    My father, now passed, who's favorite pie was Pecan told my Mother, after she made her first one. "It's good but not as good as my mother makes!" In the forty nine years they had together she never made another one and he never said anything else she made wasn't as good as his mothers.

I never made the mistake he did.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Grand Master

All these oxygen & acetylene stories remind me of an early adventure with carbide, a pop bottle with a few ounces of water, a few balloons and a lighter. As some of you know, dropping a few carbide rocks into water forms acetylene and a bottle over the neck of the bottle captures the gas. Made pretty cool mushroom clouds! Of course we had to use more rocks and bigger balloons until we discovered the limitations of the original Bic lighter, still have the burn scars because it was my turn when it came to light the big one. Eyebrows a bit singed too so I didn't get to see the mushroom cloud.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    The static electricity of closing your pocketknife on your pants leg will set off acetylene vapors too!
    Wonder where I learned that the hard way on the fourth of July, spark BOOM.