Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Wireless router, need help

Boolit Master

Wireless router, need help

A friend gave me a Netgear wndr3400v2 router so that I could go wireless with my new "Smart" tv. I set the thing up (no geek am I) and everything worked. I logged my TV on and also my Nook reader. Next day wireless disappears for some reason. cycle everything off and back on (router, computer, cable router) but no joy. Have internet on computer but no wireless to TV or Nook. Next day and past week have had wireless to TV(came back on it's own) but am unable to get my Nook to hook up to wireless. My daughter came out today and was unable to hook up to our wireless with her phone using correct password. Can't get help from Netgear as my friend registered it to him over a year ago. I downloaded Netgear Genie but it doesn't seem to do anything when I ask it to renew the connection. any direction would be appreciated. thanks Nick
    Last edited by fecmech; 11-10-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Sorry I can't help.

When I read the title and clicked on the thread, I was going to suggest a Makita, because I have such good luck with their saws and drills !
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Ok... What you need to do is start over... There is a way to set the router back to its default settings...then and only then will you be able to start over. I believe there is a reset button that you will need to hold in for like 15 seconds when you first turn on the router.... That should put it back to its default.... If need be, you can pm me your contact info, and i can give you a call and we can do it over the phone tomorow..... I will also need the exact router model number pmed to me....

Alaskan

Boolit Master

This sounds a lot like how my internet works.
    A year and a half ago I got a router to replace the phone modem. Since then I have had nothing but trouble. I have had the wireless antenna replaced 4 times, all the cables have replaced 3 times I have had 3 routers and the IP guy that comes out to the house every other month and has duped it "The internet from hell."
    He can't find anything amiss but replaces things to see if it helps. It works while he's here and quiets the next day or so for a few hrs. or even a whole day.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Since the SSID (network name) and password (shared key?) work at least part of the time, it sounds like either an antenna issue (not enough, positioned wrong), or an intermittent interference issue. Got any older cordless phones in use nearby? Bluetooth? Do the neighbors have wireless routers? Anything in the ~2.5 GHz range can interfere. For newer stuff, add 5 GHz to that. If you get REALLY lucky, you can have multiple/fractional frequencies interfering. λ, λ/2, 2λ, etc. Antennas can do weird things sometimes. Try changing to different channels. 1, 6, and 11 are best because they don't overlap, but YMMV.
    Last edited by Cmm_3940; 11-10-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I've seen quite a few Netgear routers do this. Save yourself some grief - give it the float test off the end of a long pier. D-link makes good gear and I've have good luck with the cheap Trendnet routers.

One other thing you can try, costs more, but is an interesting new technology - MOCA. If you have cable TV and use a coax cable to feed your new TV (don't know if will work with Directv etc) you can plug a MOCA adapter into your internet modem and feed the network over the cable coax. You'll need spliters at both the cable front end and at the tv. At the tv, one cable from the spliter goes to the tv as normal and the 2nd cable to a 2nd MOCA adapter and then plug the network cable into the MOCA adapter. Network and cable work at different frequencies and so the coax feeds both signals. Not wireless, but works as fast as your internet allows and no dropouts. OBTW, if you have FIOS tv and internet, it works on MOCA and all you'd need is one adapter at the TV end.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    Ok... What you need to do is start over... There is a way to set the router back to its default settings...then and only then will you be able to start over. I believe there is a reset button that you will need to hold in for like 15 seconds when you first turn on the router.... That should put it back to its default.... If need be, you can pm me your contact info, and i can give you a call and we can do it over the phone tomorow..... I will also need the exact router model number pmed to me....

Alaskan
    This. make the modem factory settings and start over. If you type in the model number to google, "serial number router factory reset", instructions should come up. then you can connect the router stright to your computer, via ethernet cord to the internet port and then open the command prompt. if you have windows XP, click the run icon, then type cmd, once the black window comes up, then type ipconfig, then press enter. it will give you the IP address of the router. Open internet explorer, type in the IP address it gave you. It will open up the router settings, from there you can set up your network key and other options.

Please, if you have questions just PM me. I think I have a write up somewhere with pictures...

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master

Thanks to all, I'm up and running now. Reset the whole shebang. BTW I do have an old Uniden 2.5 GHz phone and that may have been the trigger as I've been noticing some "noise" on the phone since the wireless has been installed. May be time for a phone upgrade! Again thank you to all. The knowledge and people on this board are simply second to none!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    glad you got it going, enjoy!

I knew that setting back to factory would get ya on the right track... Awsome.. Welcome back to the information age.

Good to hear. And now you have an excuse to get a new phone!

FYI, some good info can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...nce_at_2.4_GHz

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Even your microwave oven (!) will force the older 2.x Gig routers to crash and many times not recover. Any old crappy phone will do it also.

Every time my wife would get on her stock trading site, either the phone would ring or one of the kids would fire up the microwave oven! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Technology changes.....old stuff needs to be dumped.

That is probably why your "buddy" gave it to you!!!!!!

I changed all 3 of my home routers to the new higher frequency dual band systems and now NOTHING causes them to crash! I get 30M+ connection on my iPad wirelessly!!!!!

And I bought 2 new wireless phone systems also.....at the higher frequencies.

Best thing to do is buy a new good modern one and "gift" that obsolete clunker to the goodwill. A new one can be had for around $100 from NewEgg.com.

banger

Glad you got in running fecmech, back to the beginning is sometimes the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyDon View Post
    I've seen quite a few Netgear routers do this. Save yourself some grief - give it the float test off the end of a long pier. D-link makes good gear and I've have good luck with the cheap Trendnet routers.
    To each his own. I have more dead D-Link routers in a drawer than any other brand. Netgear is all I will buy.

Boolit Master

I do IT for a living, I've seen D-Link, netgear and especially Belkin routers poop their pants regularly. I currently run an ASUS AC router, it is expensive but it has never given me a problem. Set the previous N model up for my father in law, he hasn't had any issues with his either.

Be sure if you do have issues to change the wireless channel around, hopefully it is something causing interference and changing the channel can help.

Boolit Master

Fec I was going to tell you "What Alaskanguy said" but I see you already did. Make sure you still have a secure password on your wireless and if you're capable subnet it one or two networks away from where you get your 'net service from.

Sorry if that confused you, just don't want you to get cracked.....

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell