Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: So called 50-50 solder......

Boolit Master

So called 50-50 solder......

I bought about 15lbs of 50-50 solder in bars at an estate sale a while back. They were probably made in the 1940's or early 1950's judging from the information on the remains of the box they were in (which is also where I learned it was 50-50).

In order to make them easier to add to the mix in small, but uniform quantities, I bought a cheap Lee 0.690" round ball mould. From my calculations, this should have given about 1/2oz of tin per ball. When I got done casting them, I weighed several and found out that they were heavier than they should be.

I calculated backwards and found that I had approx. 42% tin and 58% lead solder. Still not bad, since I paid only $10 for the 15lbs of solder, but it is not an even amount of tin. It just goes to show that manufacturers cheating on quantities is not a new thing.

Boolit Master

Cast the same balls with pure lead to calibrate.

Boolit Master
    Been there, done that. My cast pure lead 0.690" RB weighs an average of 495gr although theoretically they should weigh 493gr. Close enough. Theoretically, a pure tin 0.690" RB weighs 316gr. Haven't actually cast that, but since my lead ball test was so close, I went with that.

Remember when doing calculations that lead/tin mixtures (such as 50-50, 63-37, etc) are based on weights, not volume. A 50-50 solder will be half lead and half tin by weight. By volume, there is much more tin than lead in a 50-50 bar.

Boolit Grand Master
    40/60 is a common solder as well. Recalculate and adjust as needed. Good advice from Kelbro.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    What was the weight, measured diameter, and specific gravity you calculated for your solder balls?

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master
    Tin is now, and was then more precious than lead. Perhaps the ratio stated on solder label was based upon volume rather than weight; thus your weight calculations show the tin percentages to be low.

prs

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    40/60 is a common solder as well. Recalculate and adjust as needed. Good advice from Kelbro.

Shiloh
    Strange! Many times when solder comes up someone states that 40/60 solder is probably 60% tin since 40/60(tin/lead) is rare.

I have almost 700# of 40/60 solder. I have never attempted to determine if that is accurate. About 150# is in ingots and came from an industrial pot that was in molten state for long periods. I would imagine that a lot of the tin was lost. I really don't care since I only use it to add tin to alloy for handgun plinking boolets. A little too much or a little too little doesn't make much difference to me if I get decent boolets.
    John
    W.TN