Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traditions .32cal Crockett ?

Traditions .32cal Crockett ?

Hi! I have been Lurking for a long time and this is my Second Post and first Thread! I am in the Market for a ML Squirrel rifle and have been searching and looking for a While! The T/C Cherokee is as scarce as Hen's Teeth! And I don't know diddly squat about the Crockett! Can you Guy's steer me straight! I am getting old and am retired and don't want to waste my money on Junk! While I am at it what about the .32 cal Deerhunter they make? Thanks in advance!........john

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

My Crockett Rifle is one of my favorite firearms. If you plan to squirrel hunt with yours the minimum load suggested in the manual will give you a blown up squirrel. Use enough Pyro P to fill up the patent breech or 10 to 12 grs by/v for 1100 fps or so. Get a brass brush to fit the patent breech or it will get cruddy and give you misfires. If it doesn't give you 1/2" groups at 20 to 25 yds you're doing something wrong. If yours comes with a wooden ramrod I'd change it to plastic. It's small in diameter and easily broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    My Crockett Rifle is one of my favorite firearms. If you plan to squirrel hunt with yours the minimum load suggested in the manual will give you a blown up squirrel. Use enough Pyro P to fill up the patent breech or 10 to 12 grs by/v for 1100 fps or so. Get a brass brush to fit the patent breech or it will get cruddy and give you misfires. If it doesn't give you 1/2" groups at 20 to 25 yds you're doing something wrong. If yours comes with a wooden ramrod I'd change it to plastic. It's small in diameter and easily broken.
    X2 on change out the ramrod I have a Cherokee and I broke my ramrod twice and have epoxied back together. Like Jr. said forget the min. charge in the book anymore than 20gr of FFF and a PRB it wont group (that's my gun). The 32's are the most fun for your buck you can have with a smoke pole. Jr. mine shot good at 20 gr. but I'll take it down some more and see what happens Thanks
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Thanks Men! For all the advice! Looking forward to getting one!

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Deerhunter 32 and no problems with it. Good little shooter and fun also. Certainly shoots good enough for squirrels.
    Aim small, miss small!

Thanks for the info moonman76! I have been looking at them too!.....john

Boolit Master
    Ditto on .32 cal ram rods.I made my own & carry it in a quiver on my back.

Fly

Boolit Bub
    I've have a t/c Cherokee and love it. did the ramrod thing once. I think you'll be happy with one.

Boolit Master

I have owned a Crockett for several years. I wouldn't part with it for anything. As far as the deer hunter in 32 they are alright but are not the quality of the Crockett. Fit and finish are better on the Crockett and the double set trigger is a must for removing squirrel's heads at 40 yards. If you are going to spend the money get the Crockett and you won't be disappointed.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Thanks All! Saving up to get one when I get home from Texas! Will be visiting my Daughters for a while! Maw told me to buy my black powder while in Texas and she would order the Crockett for me when we get back home for my Birthda! Now how's that? ..... John

Boolit Master
    I have owned the CVA squirrel riffle and the Crockett and both were great shooters. I say you cant go wrong with the crockett.

My Crockett is some 13 years old and has accounted for squirrels and targets. Mine is a keeper. The .32 is a super fun round and can take game much larger than most would think. Most of my squirrel hunting was with 30 grns of 3F black. I never had any more destruction evident than what a .22LR HP would cause. I stayed away from the front shoulder and the hind quarters, however. I like 20 grns best and you get more shots than with 30grns. That skinny wood rod won't last forever - still have mine - and something stronger is a good idea. The Crockett is one nice little rifle.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had a Crockett for several years. I use it for squirrel huntin and use a patched roundball and 10 grs of 3f goex. more powder tears the squirrels up. Its a dandy little rifle and at 25 yds it shoots a nice group. The newer ones come with a aluminum ramrod.

Boolit Master
    The newer ones come with a aluminum ramrod!Yea but they still suck & don't look right with that
    pink anodize color.I made my ram rod with a nice handle & a brass rod.Carrying it in a sling is just
    a handy deal, & the end does not pull off like the stock ones do.

JMOHOP Fly

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Got my wife a Crockett way back when CVA first brought them out. Got prototype #2 from their booth at Friendship.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Well! You men are costing me Money! Maw said to order it after I found a new one at DGW's on sale! Should be at my Shack come Friday! Now the wait begin's! Got to look up loads for PRB's and Powder! I will wait to get to Texas to get a mold and Holy Black! Can't Wait! Have to Wait!......john

Boolit Mold
    You can find them used for under $300 often. Some try them and decide the small caliber is not for them. I payed $210 for one that came with all the extras except powder and caps. They are very nice rifles and you won't ,if you do some load testing,be disappointed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 32HR MAG View Post
    You can find them used for under $300 often. Some try them and decide the small caliber is not for them. I payed $210 for one that came with all the extras except powder and caps. They are very nice rifles and you won't ,if you do some load testing,be disappointed.
    Well I tried finding a used one for over 4 months with out success.But I seem to never get a break when it comes to deals.

Fly

Me neither , Fly! I have been watching GunBroker and the Forums and haven't seen one for less than $350-$400! When I found the one at DGW's for $425 new, I jumped! And wouldn't you know it, nobody around here has any .32(.310) RB's! I am leaving for Texas, and I will find what I need when I get there! I hope......JOHN
    .................................................. .................................................. ....................

Don't Ya Jest Love the Smell of Rotten Agg's!!

Well! Would you look what the Brown Truck left!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by tnpaw; 11-08-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    .................................................. .................................................. ....................

Don't Ya Jest Love the Smell of Rotten Agg's!!