MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future of cast bullets????

Bad Ass,where in Aus are you? I live near Newcastle and I cast and I shoot what I cast.
    Lionel.

I started casting about 10 years ago when I was 25. I am 35 now and to be honest, over the past 2 years I have really got into it. I used to just cast the odd boolits because commercial cast was so cheap and available. The other issue is time. My daughter is older now where she spends more and more time with friends. Starting a career and maintaining a family are time consuming ( AND PLEASANTLY SO). As for other caster in my area, I know of 2. They are both over 50. I too am concerned about the future of casting and availability of free lead.
    Mark

Boolit Mold
    Saint, Blkpwdrbuff and other Utah Casters,
    I am from Springville,Ut. and would be interested in meeting other casters to exchange knowledge because I am still a novice at casting.........even though I will be 57 this month! I understand that we can exchange knowledge on this GREAT web site, but I am talking about maybe something like a state club or just a group for networking.........watching others with their casting techniques. It has been my experience that when one observes somebody else casting, it can be benificial. I can use all the tips I can get.
    Thank You,
    Msgt1030
    Sacrifice has been and will continue to be made. “FREEDOM is not free”.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    I hit 40 this thanksgiving.

Saint: I have the same problems at my rifle club. The Oldsters who do Muzzleloading & Cowboy take a very dim view of the guys whodo IDPA or any "black gun" stuff.

The IDPA guys for the most part don't reload, thoughthey shoot more than anyone else.

The shotgunners frown at everybody who soesn't have a fancy double.

Me? I do a little bit of all of it. I cast for my main guns (.357) and reload plated/condoms for my gaming guns.

I also collect and hoard. I have 4 un-smelted buckets and hope to pick up a couple more here in December... as $15 each.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Galena Guru

I was 50 in September , late presents are accepted .. I am the only one I know who casts , most people wont get into casting with the increases in costs , they dont shewt anyways , more than a box a year ..

I been at it for abt thirty years , and love it .. I been hoarding raw metals for years as I need it , plus some , never have too much , helps that I have a friend who owns a recycling outfit ...
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

I'll remain 36 until next August. I've only recently gotten into casting (this year) but I'm having a great time, when time allows. I have a friend that I'm trying to get interested in reloading and then casting, though don't know of anyone else in the area. From reading these posts, it sounds like there might be some interest in local/regional casting groups? I'm not a member of the CBA so I don't know; do they organize such local groups? If they do, I'll gladly pay the dues and join. Anyway, I'd be interested in meeting folks in the Denver metro area, although I can tell you right now I'm on the bottom of the learning curve and would be doing a lot of listening vs. talking.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    So maybe what we need to do is get more of us casters together. With close to 4000 members that has to be more then a few per state. Who's in Utah? What city?
    My daughter lives outside SLC and I have a brother there also although he is TD Iraq currently. Daughter is giving birth in Feb and we may get down for Christmas to see her also. i will PM you if I do. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Reloading/Casting/etc

Some on you know that I sell non-lead bullets and ammunition. I cast lead. Here in PA the flintloack season is coming up and the Lee REAL bullet is the cat's pajamas in a 66" twist round ball muzzleloader. The 6.5 cruise missle makes my 96 & 38 sing.
    I sell at gun shows. In the past 6 months my projectile sales have fallen to almost nothing and my ammo sales have only slightly risen. The same is true for the web site. The high prices that have developed are freezing sales.
    Have you tried to buy primers lately? Some are not available at any price. My one supplier now gets them from Germany. Buy ALL you can afford as soon as you can. Brass is just as bad.
    The ammo business is changing at a tremendous rate. There is a large gap of shooters in the 30-40 age bracket. The new young shooters use "black rifles" and pistols in 9 - 40- 45. Revolver shooters are all in their 50's/60's. I am 62. As soon as I sell my stock in 357/44/45LC, I will no longer carry it. It doesn't sell well.
    I tell you all this as when you go to the next show look to see what is being purchased at firearms and ammo tables. Lead bullets may not be available at some shows. I saw two vendors at Indy 1500 that are retiring their lead bullet business. I know of four producers here in PA that have closed.
    The business is changing. The same conglomerate that bought Chrysler owns Remington.
    Cheap ammo and components are gone forever. Big oil has successfully raised petrol prices and big ammo is going to do the same. Don't let it make you a "nut", successfully adjust. If we get new shooters to like what we do, we can give our great-grandchildren a chance to enjoy our neat hobby.
    Thanks for letting me vent.
    Captain
    "Like cool water to a thirsty soul is good news from a distant land." Prov. 25:25

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Haven't seen you here in sometime Capt. Good to know you are still around and poking holes in stuff.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Bub
    The problems have started quite a few years back when the printing companies went to hot type. Linotype metal today is very hard to come by and not cheap anymore.

Wheel-weights in the old days used to actually have some tin in them. No more, necessitating adding some expensive tin or linotype to the mix when casting smaller diameter bullets for a good fill out.

When the price of lead becomes almost as high as buying jacketed bullets casting will be pretty much a thing of the past. Lets face facts, casting is a lot of work and the older you get the more work it becomes. When the price of casting comes to close to buying bullets, casting will become extinct for the most part.

Some will cast bullets no matter how high lead becomes or how hard it is to get because some guns were made in very odd calibers and casting a lead bullet to fit the bore is your only alternative save buying very expensive custom made jacketed bullets, some of which are only crudely sized down larger bullets. I know as I have a German 8x57 "J" bore rifle and it shoots cast bullets better than the sized down jacketed bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I turned 43 this year and I cast my first bullet in 1988 at age 24.
    These days most "shooter's" in their 20's are not even remotely interested in casting.
    They look at me and you can see them thinking....."why?"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    Haven't seen you here in sometime Capt. Good to know you are still around and poking holes in stuff.
    I look in every so often...... Times are busy..... All slows down Jan.... will cast all sorts of sizes in large groups, load........ sort, tumble & size a bunch of once-fired range brass....... look for customers via email to training range businesses..... drink coffee.... sleep late..... shoot steel indoors at the club, frangible non-lead of course, and just enjoy not goin' to the 8 to 5 anymore.......
    Other than that I have no plans......

Captain
    "Like cool water to a thirsty soul is good news from a distant land." Prov. 25:25

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We have a lot of cast boolit shooters in this area, between the ML, BPCR, and Schutzen crowds. Just can't seem to get them away from thier casting pots, to waste thier time here.
    I started casting when I was 19 for my Bedford County rifle. I'm coming up on 54 soon, so, let's see. Carry the two, move down the naught, and that makes uh...., uh..., quite awhile!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    We have a lot of cast boolit shooters in this area, between the ML, BPCR, and Schutzen crowds. Just can't seem to get them away from thier casting pots, to waste thier time here.
    I started casting when I was 19 for my Bedford County rifle. I'm coming up on 54 soon, so, let's see. Carry the two, move down the naught, and that makes uh...., uh..., quite awhile!
    About the same story here. I'm 54 started casting around 19 for a CVA kit pistol and a 1851 CB in 44. SOooo glad I did. Turn 21 and bought a SBH 44 mag ruger. Sill have them all. SBH spent most of its life used as a 44 Spl. Made a great target and small game hunting gun that way. On and on it goes. Let me tell you all somthing I have found out. the girls for some reason love to cast. My wife though it was the bee knees. She has pasted and now the GF I have thinks it just neet. shiny stream and making shiny sliver bullets. Point don't leave out the girls. Might be our future hope in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sav300 View Post
    Bad Ass,where in Aus are you? I live near Newcastle and I cast and I shoot what I cast.
    Lionel.
    Kingaroy, SE Queensland
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    It is reassuring to learn that our ANZAC comrades still retain their right to arms, with the increasing pressure against our USA freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by jawjaboy View Post
    ...In the last 8 months I have accumulated more lead than I can shoot in my lifetime. But I continue to hoard. The "hunt" has become a sport in itself to me.
    jawjaboy,

I am in the same boat. I thought I had a lifetime supply a few years ago. Then I did some calculations. I'm on the hunt again.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Boolit Master
    Casting is like a lot of the shooting sports. Every year fewer and fewer take up the hobbie.
    I am 54 and learned the basics of casting from a kind older gentleman who lived my neighborhood. Nowadays (unfortunately) most would consider him a pedofile due to how much time he spent with us teaching us how to cast, lube, and shoot!
    A kinder and more generous man didnt exist, and Tony Ross of Scottdale Pa if you are reading this from heaven. I want to thank you for what you taught me.
    Now, back to the point.
    Casting may be a inexpensive way to obtain bullets but it is expensive to start.
    First you need to make sure you have a supply of metal before you even go any further. Add the prices for a sizer/luber and a couple of molds and the melting pot, ladle, gas checks, etc and you can easily spend close to $1,000 if you want to take the quality route.
    Many of you have sources for alloy, most of us do not. All the alloy I managed to scrape together I had to purchase commerically. I am in the process of finishing up gathering what I need for casting and sizing and it is not cheap to get started.
    Why am I doing it? Because I want to be able to make bullets to practice with and enjoy the satisfaction that I made the bullets myself. I think most casters are "thrifty" (cheap ********, lol). I am not cheap but I do like to spend my money wisely.
    Sometimes I think it is cheaper to just order 10-15 boxes of bullets from an online reloading source and call it a day. But other days I realize once the equipment is purchased I may be saving money down the road. Even if the price of alloy continues to climb so will the cost of bullets so I hope I can still save money by learning the craft.
    Now, if I could only find a source for these imaginary wheelweights.....................

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Casting is like a lot of the shooting sports. Every year fewer and fewer take up the hobbie.
    I am 54 and learned the basics of casting from a kind older gentleman who lived my neighborhood. Nowadays (unfortunately) most would consider him a pedofile due to how much time he spent with us teaching us how to cast, lube, and shoot!
    A kinder and more generous man didnt exist, and Tony Ross of Scottdale Pa if you are reading this from heaven. I want to thank you for what you taught me.
    Now, back to the point.
    Casting may be a inexpensive way to obtain bullets but it is expensive to start.
    First you need to make sure you have a supply of metal before you even go any further. Add the prices for a sizer/luber and a couple of molds and the
    melting pot, ladle, gas checks, etc and you can easily spend close to $1,000 if you want to take the quality route.
    Many of you have sources for alloy, most of us do not. All the alloy I managed to scrape together I had to purchase commerically. I am in the process of finishing up gathering what I need for casting and sizing and it is not cheap to get started.
    Why am I doing it? Because I want to be able to make bullets to practice with and enjoy the satisfaction that I made the bullets myself. I think most casters are "thrifty" (cheap ********, lol). I am not cheap but I do like to spend my money wisely.
    Sometimes I think it is cheaper to just order 10-15 boxes of bullets from an online reloading source and call it a day. But other days I realize once the equipment is purchased I may be saving money down the road. Even if the price of alloy continues to climb so will the cost of bullets so I hope I can still save money by learning the craft.
    Now, if I could only find a source for these imaginary wheelweights.....................
    Casting for muzzleloaders is dirt cheap.
    I was one of those cheap ********. I found a CVA aluminum mould for 10 dollars in the bargain bin at sports authority and believe it or not I actually went months without handles or a ladle because my local gun shop kept forgetting to order them. I was using a mangled kitchen spoon and holding the mould with welding gloves while scooping lead out of a cast iron frying pan on an electric hotplate. Once I learned to cast properly I found out just how hot the mould needs to be and realized that even with welding gloves I should not have been able to hold it for that long. Furthermore, electric hotplates just don't get hot enough in my opinion. Maybe thats why my first rounds looked like lead raisins.

Revolver shooters are all in their 50's/60's.
    Wrong by at least 20 years. Some of us younger folks prefer wheelguns. Some of us even like bolt action guns made before you 60 year olds were born. (I cast for my 1943 Izzy).