RepackboxLee PrecisionMCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha taking

Gun Season,

H&R Ultra Slug LITE 12ga, with 600g fullbore hard cast hollow base slug over a bunch of Blue Dot, 3-holes touching at 60 yards from a rest. One in the freezer, doe, so far. Backup is a custom H&R 410 fully rifled slug gun that launches a 270g hard cast gas checked HP around 2,000 fps.

MZ seasons

Missed the early MZ season, so late MZ season will be an H&R 45-70, converted to 45 smokeless MZ, shooting a 279g LFN (405 win bullet squeezed through a lee .401 sizer), bhn 12.5, in a 40/45 Harvester crush rib sabot on top of 55 grains of Benchmark. MOA @ 100 yards for a 3 shot group.

Good luck hunting to all.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    a goldenage flintlock built from TOW. 90 gr 3f goex, halfinch fiber wad, linen patching .013, 50/50 beeswax and olive oil lube, .526 cast ball. dropped a doe last night with it! irishtoo

Boolit Bub
    My primary will be a 1909 Peruvian Mauser in 458 american (458X2"). 350 gr Honrady flat point at 2225 fps.

Backup is a 257 roberts ruger m77 ultralight. Still working on a load for it, but we've got almost a month until season opens up.

62 caliber trade musket! Just got it this year, fell in love with it. I've got loads sorted out for both shot (for fall turkey) and round ball.
    Unfortunately, the great state of Ohio does not allow the use of center fire rifles for deer hunting, for whatever reason. Now if you are shooting woodchucks, skunks, foxes, pigs, you can carry what ever you want. Because that makes perfect sense,,,,,,,

Boolit Master
    Dunno yet.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Buddy
    but your not using a center fire. my county doesnt allow center fire either, but muzzleloader are ok. they are compared to a shotgun. i that what you meant?

Boolit Master
    I will be hunting with an xp-100 in 7br. the load will be lees 130 gr 7mm(122grains with my alloy at .285) water dropped wheel weights. it will be sparked with remington 7 1/2 primers.a healthy charge of 3031 will spit it out at 2240 fps and it is very accurate. i cheat a bit with a 6-18 leupold vx-2, but my 65 year old eyes love it ! Bullshops excelent low tac speed green keeps it from leading.

Boolit Grand Master

Probably same as last year. Have a few project guns that may go on the later hunt but they aren't quite ready for prime time yet. May take that new thutty-thutty w/ the red dot scope when we make the rounds before hunting, could also give it a try on some after-sundown hogs.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by irishtoo View Post
    but your not using a center fire. my county doesnt allow center fire either, but muzzleloader are ok. they are compared to a shotgun. i that what you meant?
    Correct, in Ohio shotgun with slug, muzzleloader, or handgun with a straight wall case .357 caliber or larger is legal to take deer. (archery too)
    In my case, I plan to use my trade musket with shot for turkey, and round ball for deer.
    what country are you located in? Also welcome to the family!

Quote Originally Posted by Pb2au View Post

the great state of Ohio does not allow the use of center fire rifles for deer hunting, for whatever reason. Now if you are shooting woodchucks, skunks, foxes, pigs, you can carry what ever you want. Because that makes perfect sense,,,,,,,

Pb2su,

I am a Buckeye as well, and I keep thinking I ought to go to the state forest down the road and hunt fox squirrels with my 416 Rigby. The ranger station is fairly close to the forest so I bet I would have a green pickup truck or two waiting for me when I left the woods.

BB

Bikerbeans, the H&R converted .45-70 muzzleloader sounds pretty sweet. Was the conversion a little tough to do? Did you machine your own breechplug? Anyway sounds like a great project.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

For 2013 season
    Muzzleloaders-- T/C System one / Renagade both will be 90 gr FF BP 370 maxi Ball
    Center fire == Savage Striker 7-08 - 40.5 gr 4064 & 140 sierra pro hunter
    T/C contender 30 Herrett 24.5 gr IMR 4198 & 150 sierra pro hunter
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

rover,

My friend and I have converted the 45-70s to smokeless MZ with a couple of different BPs. The cheap and quick method is to machine a steel or brass BP with the exterior dimensions of 45-70 fired brass. We then bore out most of the plug, bore a primer pocket for a "o" ring & 209 primer and then drill a flash hole, approx. .035". I then remove the ejector/extractor system from the barrel and epoxy the plug in place. The first gun with the glued BP has many hundreds of rounds down the tube and glue is holding up fine. We also use a reamer to open up the muzzle a little (a .458 throating reamer works great) to allow easy starting of the sabot. Also, cut a 3/8 dove tail on the bottom of the barrel for the ramrod thimble.

THe other method is to remove the extractor/ejector and bore and tap the chamber to fit a Savage 10ml BP. IMO, a lathe is required to do this work. The only issue here is to make sure you correctly "headspace" the screw in Savage BP so that the 209 primer is in correct alignment with the gun closed.

The Savage plug has replaceable vent liners so if the flash hole gets too large then you just replace it. The first plug I described would have to be removed and replaced if the flash hole erodes too much. FWIW, I made one of my BPs with a .060" flash hole and it works fine, you just get primer flattening at a lower pressure than a BP with .035" flash hole.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be using a Taylor 56-50 Spencer or a Uberti Win. 73 in 44wcf, both with black powder loads.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    rover,

My friend and I have converted the 45-70s to smokeless MZ with a couple of different BPs. The cheap and quick method is to machine a steel or brass BP with the exterior dimensions of 45-70 fired brass. We then bore out most of the plug, bore a primer pocket for a "o" ring & 209 primer and then drill a flash hole, approx. .035". I then remove the ejector/extractor system from the barrel and epoxy the plug in place. The first gun with the glued BP has many hundreds of rounds down the tube and glue is holding up fine. We also use a reamer to open up the muzzle a little (a .458 throating reamer works great) to allow easy starting of the sabot. Also, cut a 3/8 dove tail on the bottom of the barrel for the ramrod thimble.

THe other method is to remove the extractor/ejector and bore and tap the chamber to fit a Savage 10ml BP. IMO, a lathe is required to do this work. The only issue here is to make sure you correctly "headspace" the screw in Savage BP so that the 209 primer is in correct alignment with the gun closed.

The Savage plug has replaceable vent liners so if the flash hole gets too large then you just replace it. The first plug I described would have to be removed and replaced if the flash hole erodes too much. FWIW, I made one of my BPs with a .060" flash hole and it works fine, you just get primer flattening at a lower pressure than a BP with .035" flash hole.

BB
    That sounds like a great setup. And you built it yourself.

Boring old lever 30/30!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Boring old lever 30/30!
    I would love to hunt deer with my Win 94AE 30-30 but Ohio will not let me!

BB

ML season I'm hunting with my H&R Huntsman .58 with roundballs and 90 gr. 2f Goex. Gun season I'm not sure yet.

Boolit Buddy
    northern Allegheny county. i hunt small property's, we are thick with deer, but alot of property owners wont allow you on their land. then they complain about the deer eating their plants and landscaping. i am not comfortable with archery. deer have to drop or their lost on land i cant get on. i dont take questionable shots. all my shots have been well within 60yds and most have either dropped or traveled 20 yds or less. that .54 cal ball is impressive. irishtoo
    Last edited by irishtoo; 10-27-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Boolit Master
    H&R Handi-rifle 44 Remington Mag. Loaded with Lyman 250 HP, WW+2% Tin, 22.5 gn of Win 296and zeroed in 1" high at 50 yds.