RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you use for low odour flux in a garage?

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    I will cast during winter in my garage and I would like to use a low odor and low smoke flux that works fine.

I usually use sawdust, but it smokes alot.

Any ideas?
    Do the same for sawdust/wood particles that you would for wax....as soon as it starts to smoke, throw a match at it.....whereas sawdust may not be a "low odor" flux, it is a pleasant odor...

so I should just sawdust flux?
    Yup, smells nice even if it smokes. Use crushed charcoal for even less smoke, leave it on top of the pot to keep air off of the surface.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

I have been experimenting with airgun shot (BBs) in my bottom-pour. Not only a mechanical oxygen barrier, but no muss-no fuss, too. Lead ingots sit on top until they melt through.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Wood pellets such as used in a smoker work great and a bag last a long time. Different flavors available so you can find one you like.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

so I should just sawdust flux?
    Ditto this works great for me? I just stir it into the melt thoughly then scim it off. Carbon content is what you're for.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    I've been using Marvelux in my basement for years. If it gets moisture in it, Marvelux will clump up. Break down the clumps into granules and put some in a small tin can on the hot plate for a few minutes to drive the moisture out. Also don't let it build up on your skimming spoon and float the spoon on the melt to drive out any moisture it may contain before doing any stirring. Sprinkle the heated granules on top let it sit for a bit before stirring. Takes longer to explain than it does to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Bad kryogen, bad. Go to your room without dinner.

It would be a very good idea to stop using treated lumber immediately if not sooner. "Not exactly healthy" could be quite the understatement.

As to your question . . . What do you use for low odor flux in a garage?

Good ventilation!

Rick
    Exactly where I was gonna go. I live in the very-rainy PNW. I am sometimes forced to smelt inside the garage, although I try to avoid it, but always cast inside the garage. Even when it is not raining (both weeks.... he he).

I cast next to the window and have installed a hi-speed box fan right next to the casting station. I suppose a vent hood might be better, but all the smoke just goes right through the box fan and out the window with ease.

Therefore, sawdust from Alder is what I use. I cut my own Alder poles for making shavings with which to smoke salmon (it's salmon season RIGHT NOW) and I sweep the dust to use for smelting. Easy as pie.
    PSP
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master

I would put a kitchen range vent hood over the area where I was casting. Used ones can be had for cheap or less. Just go to your local kitchen cabinet shop and tell them you would like a salvage range hood from their next kitchen renovation.
    The other way is a high volume bathroom vent fan installed in the wall over where you cast.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

In my short casting career, mebbe 25 years, I've tried as many fluxes as I thought might work, but settled on sawdust. I cast indoors and yep, sawdust does smoke and smell, but I just open the door and turn on my fans. Sometimes I'll step outside to while the smoke clears but I cast indoors because it rains a lot here in Orygun...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

hang a shop vac hose over the pot and exhaust the smoke/smell out, under the garage door with pvc plastic pipe. Gets rid of all the smell that way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    I'm in the minority here and have used Marvelux for the last 30 years. The moisture problem is easily avoided by preheating any stirring or dipping tool......which should be done regardless of the flux used.

I've even read reports of Marvelux causing the melting pot to rust out. Well, my oldest Lee bottom pour has been exposed to Marvelux for 30 years, and it's still working just fine.

I flux, then leave the dross in place as an oxygen barrier until I'm done. By then, there's nothing left but dry dust.
    My experience, as well, except I'll go ahead and skim off the residue before beginning to cast. I think most problems people have with Marvelux stems from using too much of it.

Banned

The problems with Marvakrap is that it removes all oxidized metals such as the tin you want to keep as well as the stuff you don't want, and if you don't live in the powder-dry mountainous parts of the country it will soak up moisture like crazy and can, if you don't pay attention and know what to do, cause steam explosions with annoying regularity.

The borates do flux, though, very well, they seal the surface from further oxidation, don't stink or burn, and make being around the casting pot much more pleasant and reduce ventilation needs considerably. If you use a hydrocarbon as a sacrificial reducant first to reduce the oxides of tin, lead, and antimony back to elemental metal, THEN you can absorb the more difficult-to-reduce oxides of the other junk in there (aluminum, calcium, magnesium, iron, etc.) with the borate flux and have a totally clean, oxide-free melt and not lose any tin oxide when skimming. Of course, if you use sawdust to begin with and leave the ash as a surface oxygen barrier you wouldn't need anything else.

The only stuff I know of that actually removes contaminants from the boolit casting trinity is carbon and liquid borate glass. Any hydrocarbon (grease, wax, oil, wood, cereal grains, etc) trade electrons with the oxidized metals in that scummy layer that floats on top and turn them back into usable metals.

Gear

Boolit Master
    I use a 3m 7500 respirator with P100 multi gas cartridges also.... why not.
    Not breathing any lead or smoke or any whatever fumes.