Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .45 ACP magazine problems!

Boolit Grand Master
    Those photos, and the thumb, made me decide on the hybrid mags from Checkmate. With an HG68 style bullet they just keep feeding and feeding. They just don't jam.

I added extra power Wolff mag springs.

I even let 35Rem talk me into a firing pin stop with a more square lower corner and it makes a big difference in the feel of the recoil.

Boolit Grand Master
    Btroj is just "getting back to John Browning" in going with those magazines and the small radius firing pin stop. This was what the pistol originally had and running the pistol the way JMB intended is the best way to get it to work reliably.

Amen, and slap those mags in the bottom of a Ruger SR1911 and you can shoot all day without a hiccup.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master
    So the Ruger SR1911 has the desired magazines as OE, how about the firing pin stop? Is the small radius type in use on the SR1911? H377, I would not know the difference if it jumped out and bit me.

prs

Filing a small radius on the FPS is something you have to do yourself. I know of no one that sells them as is since it's an individual fit. No big deal, though. Ruger does not install them on their 1911.

http://pistolsmith.com/pistolsmiths/...-benefits.html
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Bub
    From my experience MagGar and other factory free with purchase mags are junk most of the time. The stainless of the MagGar is slightly better than the blued but not by much...For the price an extra $10 or so will get you a Wilson Combat. I sware by them and after locking up guns before with the MagGar and factory mags, I don't even mess with those mags anymore, I just leave them in the box.

I don't use anything I can't trust with my life, and to me a finicky mag just isn't worth it no matter if its free or not.

Boolit Master
    ColColt;

I hope I am not as dumb as my understanding of this "small radius firing pin stop" makes me look. I think I am getting closer. There seems to be a lot of use fairly new to the 1911. I am going to start a new thread to see if I can get a better education. Will title it "Small radius firing pin stop form and function".

I wish i had a Colt 1911 chambered in 9mm......shoots way less lead....sorry.

Boolit Grand Master

All of my Mec-Gar are marked and all work exceptional in a AMT Hardballer. Of course the Hardballer is a full size 1911. I have eight or nine gun show specials and cheapo mail order ones that don't. Some worked at first then started getting balky, I had trouble figuring out which ones were good. I got tired of the magazine problems and got a 45 acp revolver....solved that problem and don't have to chase down fired brass.
    Thats a win win situation for me.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy

Ruther Glen,Va. Recently escaped from Peoples Democratic of Illinois
    Amen to that
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Can't go wrong with anything that says Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, or Colt. There are others.

SHiloh

Banned

I have a pile of SS Mec-Gar 7 rounders, they worked flawlessly in two guns (Kimber and SA) for a few years but eventually the metal fatigued and the feed lips spread, leading to stovepiping. The metal won't hold shape when reformed for more than a round or two. I bought some WC 8-rounders on sale new and have had zero problems through many thousands of rounds, and they all stay loaded all the time. $30 even on sale ain't cheap, but I'll pay a man (company) what he asks if his product does what I need it to do when others don't.

Gear

Boolit Buddy

I bought 2 kimber tac-pro ss 8 rounders for my kimber eclipse and had nothing but ftf and stovepipes. I sent them back to kimber and received 2 new mags that behaved exactly the same. Wilson 47d mags were purchased after that and never had a problem. go figure. I thought buying kimber mags for a kimber pistol would be a slam dunk. I only shoot 200g swc and the kimber mags were advertised as being compatable with that bullet design. ymmv

Banned

They have 3 pacs of the WC's 8 round at Brownell's. Dealer price is $84

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/h...?sku=965000149

Boolit Grand Master

Metalform mags are quite good also, if you want parallel lips and late release "conventional" mag design
    which will work in the great majority of 1911s. I have a couple that prefer hybrids or the original
    design lips including my carry Commander. I have some ancient milsurp noname pure GI mags and
    a beautiful super early nickeled commercial mag with pinned, milled floorplate that feed my carry
    Commander. It loves them but find a replacement pinned floorplate nickel factory Colt mag. . . . . .

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.