RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win760 and the Karabiner in the 8x57

Win760 and the Karabiner in the 8x57

Has anyone used Win760 with the Lee/MidSouth Karabiner boolit in the 8x57? I'm looking for a starting load. IMR-4350 and H4831 for the same boolit and cartridge would also be helpful.

Thanks for your help,
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 09-02-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Used win760 43grs with the standard lee 8 x 57 174gr mold, quite good load but
    not used any low loads.

There must be lots of people out there who shoot low loads, with the results they need.

Come on Guys, there must be someone who has tryed that combo

Boolit Grand Master

The closest I have used is not too close at all - 748 in a .45-70.

Hodgdon H414 is W760, and they show loads for 200 Jbullets starting at 45 gr for 2229 fps
    and a max of 50 gr for 2475. US loading data for the 8x57 is notoriously low pressure,
    out of fear for an old gun with the wrong barrel size.

Best I have.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Thanks for responding Bill,

I think the next question is "How does the starting load data of a 200gr J-word correspond to a 200 gr cast boolit?"

Is there a formula?
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

sorry never used win760,but I have tried imr4350,and like it.i started at 30grs andworked up to 36grs.30grs to 33.5 was mild recoil very accurate with no pressure signs,34grs was still accurate but the primer backed out a little. 35grs was the same.at 36grs I lost accuracy and the primer started to flatten.hope this helps some.
    OldArkie

Velocity with the cast bullet would be higher, pressure lower. I've got no set formula, but the tables Richard Lee has for cast bullets in his book were based on extrapolations from jacketed bullet velocity and pressure data. Here's an example. I was using a 30/40 which is close in capacity to the .308, which Lee has data for. With 41gr 760 under a 190 cast bullet I was getting 2337fps. Lee shows 2190fps with 41300psi pressure. I know that my alloy won't take that much pressure, peters out at about 37000psi, so actual pressure was less than that. So roughly we can say velocity with an equal weight cast bullet will be a couple hundred fps higher, while pressure will be 4000psi or so lower. I say roughly, cause there's a lot of variables at play here, for example bearing surface of the cast bullet we're using, alloy hardness, etc.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

While I have not used either of those powders I have used that boolit over top of IMR 4895, for 1850 fps. It is a real killer. I believe with 760 you will need to have a load that comes close to filling the case. That might not work out in reality very well. 4350 is likely a better choice.

Good info guys, every little helps,
    cheers chris

Great intel!

Looks like I'll have some experimentation to do.

Thank you gentlemen.
    Uber7mm

I tried imr4831 yesterday,started at 32grs worked up to39grs.had about the same results as 4350 but no accuracy from any load,3or 4inch groups,dont know why.
    OldArkie

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Reason: the boolit was warped going from case to enclosed barrel. Tailor the powder with it's ignition to make the boolit have a quicker response as not to have "time" to distort. ... felix
    felix

My 375296 hunting load uses a compressed charge of 760 with a CCI-250 in the .375x45-70. Wonderful stuff. Wooosh.
    But I really don't remember ever trying 760 in the 8x57.

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Reason: the boolit was warped going from case to enclosed barrel. Tailor the powder with it's ignition to make the boolit have a quicker response as not to have "time" to distort. ... felix
    Felix,
    Are you suggesting a faster burning powder? Please advise. I appreciate any knowledge or experience you might have in this area.
    Thank you in advance,
    Uber7mm

Just loaded up 32 grs of win 760 in 10 303 cases, going to range tomorrow, so will try. Used
    150gr cast gas checked boolit head with CCI primer.
    Keep you updated.
    Then if that works will try in a 8mm case too.

Only loaded up the 303 cases because i have my full quota of 8mm ammo.

Melter,

What was your verdict at the range the other day? Please advise.
    Uber7mm

Quote Originally Posted by UBER7MM View Post
    Melter,

What was your verdict at the range the other day? Please advise.
    Well, the boolits shot and got down range, so the powder at 32 grs is ok, but i used sized
    boolit heads and i should have used unsized boolit heads, as the mold was for a 30/40 krag,
    i was told.
    So i will load some more unsized heads, but lubed.

Also i shot them at 300m, because i forgot i had the trial rounds, should have tryed them at
    100m.
    I am sure that these will be ok.

Hope this helps

Boolit Master

Been away for awhile or I'd have stuck my oar in here sooner. I shoot the Lee 329-208 (designed for the Steyr M95) sized down to .325 and loaded over 36.0 gr. WW760 with a dacron fill in both my Yugo M48 and my M38 Turk. Never chrono'd this load but I'd estimate somewhere in the 1800-1900 fps range with acceptable accuracy. (2 1/2"-3" 100M groups with issue sights). Have to admit though, that 760 isn't my preference for the 8x57 but, for now, I can buy 760 locally while I can't find H4895 (my first choice) anywhere.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Been away for awhile or I'd have stuck my oar in here sooner. I shoot the Lee 329-208 (designed for the Steyr M95) sized down to .325 and loaded over 36.0 gr. WW760 with a dacron fill in both my Yugo M48 and my M38 Turk. Never chrono'd this load but I'd estimate somewhere in the 1800-1900 fps range with acceptable accuracy. (2 1/2"-3" 100M groups with issue sights). Have to admit though, that 760 isn't my preference for the 8x57 but, for now, I can buy 760 locally while I can't find H4895 (my first choice) anywhere.

Bill
    Bill,
    That sounds like you've found the "sweet spot" of W760, cast boolits and your rifles. Thanks for sharing.
    Uber7mm

Yes Bill,
    Thanks for that, i take it your M48 is the .323 size bore etc.
    Will investigate that load.
    Many thanks.
    chris