Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: .500 bullet from 45 ACP

Frosted Boolits

Not to hijack your thread Duke, but...

The toughest job is setting in the cannelure.
    A buddy of mine and I are working on fabricating our own cannelure tool that is more ergonomically correct than the CH4D tool. He is an older gentleman and a retired tool maker. Needless to say he has the machines and the know-how. These may come up for sale after we perfect the design. We will be able to put a cannelure on .17 cal up to 50 cal (.510). The prototype is about halfway finished.

Back to the thread.... I see a purchase in the near future to feed the Smith Jacketed bullets.....

This place is gonna make me go broke!!!!!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

In Remembrance

The CH4D version of the cannelure tool leaves much to be desired. I hate the thing, but it is the only way I have (currently) to install cannelures.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Moderator Emeritus

I bought this used CH4D cannelure tool with homemade base from a member here...back 3 years ago. Now I haven't tried using it without the base, but I think is works pretty slick. I use it only on 44 cal brass jacketed (40 case) home swaged bullets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Ok here are a few pictures of the 50 AE loaded up with the bullets Duke sent me to try out made from 45 acp brass.
    They work great and feed perfectly out of my Desert Eagle 50 . Looks to be a winner for me . I will have to put some funds together to get a set of these dies from Brian .
    Thanks again Duke for sending me the testers .

RR

Last edited by RANGER RICK; 10-10-2013 at 11:50 PM.
    PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT !!! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT !!!!!!
    HOME OF THE 500 MAGNUM TYRANNOSAURUS THUMPER'S.........

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Boolit Mold
    Man these swaged boolits look so slick. I'd love this die set to swage for my .50 Beo. Can't wait to see how they perform in the .50 AE.

Vendor Sponsor

Those do look great!

I was just in a local sporting goods store. Glanced at the still empty bullet, powder and ammo shelves and I saw a box of 50 Hornady 500 cal bullets for $45! DANG! Nearly a buck a piece just for the projectiles! Not loaded ammo!

Good shooting!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Doesn't take long for it to pay for a set of BT's dies.

Vendor Sponsor

Got a customer's 500 cal die set ready to go. Check out all the extras I provided and samples of each step of the way.

Customer supplied me with a couple copper jackets so I supplied him the necessary tools to turn them into perfect 500 cal Hornady XTP copies!

Good shooting and swage on!

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy
    Can anyone advise if a RockChucker is sufficient to pull this off? I'm about to take the plunge and need to find out if I need to start shopping for a press, too...

Vendor Sponsor

PM sent
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbailey7821 View Post
    Can anyone advise if a RockChucker is sufficient to pull this off? I'm about to take the plunge and need to find out if I need to start shopping for a press, too...
    Your making a LARGE bullet. A dedicated swaging press is the way to go. Just my two cents.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, Gents. I'm in. My wife is gonna be soooo mad...again

Cheers!

Boolit Mold
    New to these forums. Has anyone used these in an AR chambered in 50 Beowulf? I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work but you never know.
    What press are folks using for swaging? The only press I have is a very old RCBS "A" press. Big ol heavy brute! Would I benefit from converting the "A" to a swage only press and buy a new press for reloading purposes?
    Thanks!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cruddymutt View Post
    New to these forums. Has anyone used these in an AR chambered in 50 Beowulf? I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work but you never know.
    What press are folks using for swaging? The only press I have is a very old RCBS "A" press. Big ol heavy brute! Would I benefit from converting the "A" to a swage only press and buy a new press for reloading purposes?
    Thanks!
    Keep that "A" press for reloading. Get a dedicated swaging press. RCE has a walnut hill press for a little over 400$.

Others will tell you that your rcbs is suited for swaging, but 224 is as far as I would push it. Swaging projectiles larger than that requires more leverage. Keep your reloading press for reloading, and get a swaging press for swaging.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

In Remembrance

We don't all have the budget that Lizard333 has.

I am happily making the following with my RCBS RockChucker:

.22LR > .224
    9mm > .40
    .40 > 45
    45acp > 500 magnums

I find that the 500 magnums don't require as much pressure as the 9mm > .40 swaged bullets do. It could be the ratio of diameter expansion is better. Or, it could be some other factor that I don't really care about.

The only issue I got was early on, with the 22LR > .224 bullets. I broke the factory pin that connects the linkage to the bottom of the ram. I replaced that with a 3/8" Grade 8 bolt (long enough so that the un-threaded shoulder portion fits the holes). No issues since!

I have been punching out 500 magnums in the past week, and as a test, didn't even anneal the jackets (45 acp brass). They ran fine, and come out to proper diameter.

I've been bringing the swaged bullet samples to the gun club I just joined, and have been having great fun asking some of the old timers if they can tell me what they are looking at (when I show them a swaged 45 acp case > 500 magnum). Some of them look with squinted eyes, and ask what kind of gun it shoots in. Even when I give them a Hornady XTP as a "hint" they still don't get it, until I show them the assembled round.

So, yes, there are many of us, successfully swaging bullets for the 500 magnum in a single station press, including Lee Classic Cast and RCBS Rockchuckers.

Do yourself a favor though.............

After buying a press, order a threaded ram, either from chuckbuster or BT Sniper. Price is fair either way, chuckbuster will get it to you faster. Fitting the bottom punches into the T-slot is a recipe for bent punches, and collapsed T-slots. The threaded versions are all but failproof.

Quote Originally Posted by bbailey7821 View Post

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Vendor Sponsor

The web (solid brass base) of the 45 acp case is thinner then the web of the 9mm case making it slightly easier to swage into a bullet.

Threaded base punches and a threaded ram are a very good idea when it comes to swaging bullets.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Frosted Boolits

RCBS "A" series presses will work fine for swaging. In fact that is what the original presses were made for.

the BB knows

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    RCBS "A" series presses will work fine for swaging. In fact that is what the original presses were made for.
    This is true. To swage 224's out of 22 rim fire. Big difference between 22's and 50's.

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Ladies and Gentlemen, the stars have aligned. Duke, I could not agree with you more!

As for the rest of the conversation......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smiley_popcorn.gif 
Views:	534 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	94539
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Frosted Boolits

Lizard, have you any experience using an A series press? It is way more stout than a Lee Classic cast.

I have no need to swage 50 cal rifle bullets.

the BB knows