Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do Yankees eat biscuits?

Boolit Master
    Charles, I was born and raised on Long Island, with a year or so in Maine. YessirDamnYankee. We ate a lot of biscuits. Had grits, too, but not as often as folks in the South. AND! We also had scrapple --- Mmmmm.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy

Smother them in gravy and its on!

Boolit Grand Master

Char-Gar I have to agree with you on what constitutes a proper breakfast. Although I like Mexican food in general, I also do not care at all for the "breakfast burrito". Whom ever came up with that abomination needs to be punished. Eggs benedict are nice, but eggs over easy with sausage, ham, bacon , cheese grits and biscuits will do just fine. Also a stack of waffles or pancakes sometimes is good. Thinking about all this is making me hungry.
    Gary

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    What I think is comical is that many northerners and westerners don't like grits but love polenta.

Carl

Corky...I never heard of Scrapple until about a year ago when it was mentioned by our Rector (Episcopal) at breakfast one Sunday morning. He is from Pennsylvania where they eat that kind of stuff. He said it was wonderful, but I am not anxious to try it.

I don't eat sheep either in any way, form or fashion. I got sick as a dog on mutton stew at a Navajo wedding a few years back and that sealed the deal on not eating sheep for me.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I grew up eating biscuits, grits, hog jowl, juevos rancheros. Got milk, cheese and cottage cheese delivered by the milkman. Milk was in glass bottles with paper bottle cap; cream at the top.
    The MGM Studio Commissary used to have the best biscuits & gravy you could find anywhere.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Charles, I was born and grew up on Long Island, spent a year or so in Maine. YessirDamnYankee. We ate a lot of biscuits. We had grits, too, but not as often as our Southern Friends. AND ! ! ! We also had scrapple. Mmmmmm.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    Heavens NO young'un if they learn how good they are they might stay. Give them the two-three day old un's, you know those round pavers.

Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Do Yankee's eat biscuits?
    Do Yankee's eat biscuits? What do you mean? Even CANADIANS eat biscuits ... and we live even further North than those Yankee's yer talkin' about! (...and they're Buttermilk Biscuits too!)

... and we've even been known to eat CORNBREAD too!

The Reverend Al’s Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits

3 cups of all purpose flour
    3 teaspoons of baking powder
    1 teaspoon of salt
    ¾ teaspoon of baking soda
    1 tablespoon of Garlic powder (optional)

¾ cup of any suitable type of shortening (such as Crisco, bacon grease, lard, margarine, etc.)

1 cup of grated cheese (Cheddar or your choice of mixed cheeses)

1 cup of buttermilk

Pre-heat oven to about 375 degrees.

Sift the flour to make sure that there are no lumps. Add the baking powder, salt, baking soda, and Garlic powder if you’re using it. Mix the dry ingredients well. (I use a whisk or the pastry blender to stir the dry ingredients together in the bowl until they’re all well blended.) Add the shortening and work it into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until the entire mix resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the grated cheese and mix well again.

Next, add the buttermilk, working it into the mixture with a large, solid spoon. After everything is thoroughly mixed, roll it out onto a floured board or counter top. Knead the dough as little as possible, adding more flour if it’s too wet, or a bit more buttermilk if it’s too dry, until the dough doesn’t stick to your hands, and has a “satin” look to it.

After it has the right consistency, roll or pat out the dough to about ¾” thick, and cut out the biscuits with a 2” to 3” biscuit cutter, or if in camp use the end of a soup can with the top and bottom cut out. If you lightly flour the end of the biscuit cutter or soup can as you cut them, the biscuits won’t stick to your cutter plus they will rise in layers as they bake, yielding a nice, light and fluffy style of biscuit.

I use a flat cookie sheet for baking biscuits and use baking parchment paper or silicon baking sheets on the bottom of the cookie sheets to prevent the biscuits from burning on their bottoms.

In our oven about 10 to 12 minutes is just about right for light, medium browned biscuits. If they are too dry in the middle, bake for a slightly shorter time, as they should be slightly moist in the centre when finished.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    My Bride of 46 yrs,(second turn at the plate for both of us) is a Texan from most everywhere there (Amarillo, Kerrville, Pfarr,Bay City),,She makes the biscuits, I eat them..Earned most of my college $ in an Oregon Sawmill,but we didn't know "jack" about "Sawmill gravy" either there,or in the Sierra Nevada..Can You elaborate,Char-gar ?? . Oh yeah,she doesn't cook or eat Lamb (or goat) either.. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I think it was Cap'ts Call and McCrae who took biscuits north to Montana,and shortly thereafter,the Canadians realized what they had been missing, eh ?? Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

This is not to brag, but I am known for cooking good biscuits either at home in the oven or in camp in a Dutch Oven. I have competed in chuck wagon and Dutch Oven cooking for years and often cook for 50 to 100 over coals.
    But this story is about biscuits! When we were farming in the rolling hills between Abilene and San Angelo Texas, I had 11+ sections of land leased and hunting access to several thousand additional acres. Needless to say on opening day of West Texas quail season, I had 7-10 of my East Texas buddies sleeping on my den floor in readiness for opening day. I got up about 4, mixed 3 big pans of biscuits and started cooking bacon and sausage (we were hog farmers too.). Put first 2 pans in the oven and I sorta smelled something burning in the oven and thought Mama Bear ran something over in the oven and it was burning. At the proper time, I opened the oven and a really strong smell greeted me. The guys were up and drinking coffee while donning boots and stuff. Pulled the first pan out and they were the color of good boot leather and about 1/4 inch high--did I say that they stunk, bad.

Trying to figure what went wrong and looked over on the counter--at this time we lived 60- 70 miles from a supermarket and we bought everything in case and large containers and only went to store once a month. This included baking powder and when I looked good, I had made all my biscuits with garlic powder instead of baking powder. Of course everyone was awake, including my wife and kids, so I could not hide the results. I threw these cooked biscuits out in the chicken pen and even the chickens never touched them--took about a year to melt in the low West Texas rainfall.

That was '83 or '84 and those guys still tell that story on me. And I always smell my baking powder before I mix those good "cat head biscuits."
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Perma-Banned

There is nothing better than biscuits and gravy.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Do Yankee's eat biscuits? What do you mean? Even CANADIANS eat biscuits ... and we live even further North than those Yankee's yer talkin' about! (...and they're Buttermilk Biscuits too!)

... and we've even been known to eat CORNBREAD too!

The Reverend Al’s Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits

3 cups of all purpose flour
    3 teaspoons of baking powder
    1 teaspoon of salt
    ¾ teaspoon of baking soda
    1 tablespoon of Garlic powder (optional)

¾ cup of any suitable type of shortening (such as Crisco, bacon grease, lard, margarine, etc.)

1 cup of grated cheese (Cheddar or your choice of mixed cheeses)

1 cup of buttermilk

Pre-heat oven to about 375 degrees.

Sift the flour to make sure that there are no lumps. Add the baking powder, salt, baking soda, and Garlic powder if you’re using it. Mix the dry ingredients well. (I use a whisk or the pastry blender to stir the dry ingredients together in the bowl until they’re all well blended.) Add the shortening and work it into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until the entire mix resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the grated cheese and mix well again.

Next, add the buttermilk, working it into the mixture with a large, solid spoon. After everything is thoroughly mixed, roll it out onto a floured board or counter top. Knead the dough as little as possible, adding more flour if it’s too wet, or a bit more buttermilk if it’s too dry, until the dough doesn’t stick to your hands, and has a “satin” look to it.

After it has the right consistency, roll or pat out the dough to about ¾” thick, and cut out the biscuits with a 2” to 3” biscuit cutter, or if in camp use the end of a soup can with the top and bottom cut out. If you lightly flour the end of the biscuit cutter or soup can as you cut them, the biscuits won’t stick to your cutter plus they will rise in layers as they bake, yielding a nice, light and fluffy style of biscuit.

I use a flat cookie sheet for baking biscuits and use baking parchment paper or silicon baking sheets on the bottom of the cookie sheets to prevent the biscuits from burning on their bottoms.

In our oven about 10 to 12 minutes is just about right for light, medium browned biscuits. If they are too dry in the middle, bake for a slightly shorter time, as they should be slightly moist in the centre when finished.
    Al, you are killing me with these pictures!

Boolit Master
    I've eaten plenty of biscuits, with/without gravy and I like them. I have eaten grits............once,...........never again.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    Al, you are killing me with these pictures!
    Sorry about that ... (heh heh heh) ...

As an alternative we also make Sourdough Biscuits rather than Buttermilk too!

SOURDOUGH BISCUITS

Ingredients

- 2 cups of white flour
    - 2 tsp baking powder
    -1/2 tsp salt, more or less
    - 1 Tbl of sugar
    - 1 large egg
    - 1/2 cup of sweet butter
    - 1 3/4 cups of sourdough starter

Preparation & Cooking

Sift dry ingredients together. With a pastry blender or blending fork cut in the butter until well mixed and crumbly. Add the starter mixed with the egg. Stir until well blended. Place dough on a lightly floured board and knead very lightly using a soft touch. Do not overwork the dough. Roll or press the dough to about 1/2 or 3/4 - inch thick. Cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter. (In hunting camp I use a soup can with the bottom and the label removed and then dipped in flour.) Place rounds on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at about 425 degrees for about 12 minutes.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Northerners probably ate more biscuits than Southerners. I say that because corn was "King" in the south. Cornbread, corn pone, fritters, etc. Slaves usually had "Hoe" cakes for lunch. Water and cornmeal cooked on one of the big hoes they used "chopping" cotton. Lots of poor whites ate the same thing. Wasn't a race thing, more of a societal thing. White flour and wheat were "Northern" phenomenon. Down here, we ate pork and corn. Grits, the same thing, except in some of the border states. Penn/Md/Del/VA (DelMarVa) had scrapple, head cheese with cornmeal in it.

One of the staples of the Confederate soldiers was sloosh--cook your salt pork, and then cook cornmeal in the leftover fat. Probably loosened 'em up a bit, but they survived.
    Last edited by gbrown; 09-30-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Charles, . AND! We also had scrapple --- Mmmmm.
    now tell him what scrapple is. me i love it biscuits & gravy too
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by onceabull View Post
    My Bride of 46 yrs,(second turn at the plate for both of us) is a Texan from most everywhere there (Amarillo, Kerrville, Pfarr,Bay City),,She makes the biscuits, I eat them..Earned most of my college $ in an Oregon Sawmill,but we didn't know "jack" about "Sawmill gravy" either there,or in the Sierra Nevada..Can You elaborate,Char-gar ?? . Oh yeah,she doesn't cook or eat Lamb (or goat) either.. Onceabull
    In southern parlance sawmill gravy is made with meat drippings and flour with maybe a little milk or water added and the color is white. Red Eye gravy is made from meat drippings and water and the color is reddish/brown clear.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    Guess I am a hybrid of both North and South. Love a good cornbread, good biscuits and yankee pot roast. Like grits too, with a little butter, salt and sugar(yeah, I know!!). Biscuits and sausage gravy, MMMMMm. Guess I am just a foodie.

Gonna have to try that buscuits recipie soon!!