Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expensive Rifle

Expensive Rifle

Did anyone see what a Stevens-Pope rifle with goodies just sold for on flea bay? And, there I was wringing my hands over a $3200 Shiloh Sharps.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=362067971#PIC
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Wow! Just.....wow!
    Direct descendent of stone age Eurasians.

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    Did anyone see what a Stevens-Pope rifle with goodies just sold for on flea bay? And, there I was wringing my hands over a $3200 Shiloh Sharps.
    A fantastic bargain from where I'm sitting. Harry Pope is a legend, a near-peerless craftsman, a part of history, somebody to admire for his genuine accomplishments over decades. A clapped-out Iver Johnson revolver that belonged to Clyde Barrow or Al Capone would bring more money than this. People pay more for stuff like Elvis Presley's sunglasses.

Want a Shiloh Sharps? Drive to their shop and get one, or 10, or however many you want. Choose the features even.

Beg, pray, whatever you want, but Harry Pope will never build me, you, or anybody else a rifle.

Single Action Armies were factory-made by the hundreds of thousands, they were ordinary shooters, yet I see clean ones go for half again this much.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    Beg, pray, whatever you want, but Harry Pope will never build me, you, or anybody else a rifle.
    It also doesn't appear that Harry Pope built that rifle.

'Pope' merely appears to be the model name, and the rifle is marked Stevens-Pope Manufactured by the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co. Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A.

Here are links to some other Stevens-Pope rifles.
    http://www.rockislandauction.com/vie...id/51/lid/1551
    http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Manuf...t%20Rifle.html

They are both marked as having been manufactured by Stevens.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

'Pope' merely appears to be the model name, and the rifle is marked Stevens-Pope Manufactured by the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co. Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A.
    In 1901 the Stevens Arms Company bought me out and from the first of May of that year I made the rifles that bear the name 'Stevens-Pope.' I made all of those that are numbered under about 1250." On the last day of December, 1905 Pope left Stevens. Barrel-making held his interest and hope of a future, and at 45, after a seventeen-year stay, he left Hartford and went to San Francisco.
    http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...arry-pope.html

Charlie, bar none the finest barrels of any Schuetzen rifles made. When he moved to Jersey City, NJ after the San Francisco fire destroyed his shop after only 3 days in business - he guaranteed a 200yd group the size of a dime for an extra $2.00 for his rifles made there. He even supplied the target to the buyer
    Last edited by John Boy; 09-22-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    Regards
    John

In Remembrance
    I see.
    Stevens built the guns, but Pope made the barrels.
    Well, that fair ... and impressive.

CM

he guaranteed a 200yd group the size of a dime for an extra $2.00 for his rifles made there. He even supplied the target to the buyer
    Wonder if we could get Kirk to give that same guarantee?:
    NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Looks like you are right and that Pope did not personally build the rifle. It appears to have built more or less to his specs after he left Stevens, and includes a Pope false muzzle/starter, sight, etc.

But where else are you going to get a .28-30 rifle with a Pope false muzzle, or a .28-30 *anything*?

In a world of $10k - $20k 1886s I could see spending this much on the Stevens. http://www.gunsinternational.com/Win...cfm?cat_id=501

People are nuts. Oliver Winchester didn't make this one either and yet look at the price for a short 16" Turnbull 1886. Beautiful rifle indeed but that price for a 16" barrel...I don't think so. I've had way too many cars that didn't cost that. In fact, I've never had a car even that cost that.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Thu...n_id=100361606
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master

He said he made all the barrels for the guns numbered under 1250. This one is numbered 17xx.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    The thing that worried me most about the original ad was;

"A pair of pliers for manufactureing lead grooved bullets........"

Is that the mould? If it is, then the bloke selling that rifle appears to have no idea of what he is on about.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Son View Post
    The thing that worried me most about the original ad was;

"A pair of pliers for manufactureing lead grooved bullets........"

Is that the mould? If it is, then the bloke selling that rifle appears to have no idea of what he is on about.
    I'd say you are completely correct on that aspect.

CM

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=362067971#PIC
    Is Gunbroker now "flea bay"?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

In Remembrance

Bob Kleingunther left Roy Weatherby when Weatherby came back to the USA from Germany. Kleingunther stated all his handmade rifles would make a less than 1" group for 3 shots at 100 yds as they came out of his shop. The K15 Instafire my brother bought back in 1980 in 7 Rem. Mag. without any sights cost $1K. After I mounted a 3 - 10X Leupold and worked up a handload, this rifle was putting 3 shots into a single hole at 250 yds! Bob telephoned me wanting all the lot numbers on all the cartridge componets used, plus all the details of how the ammo was loaded and equipment used. He sent a very nice Mexican tooled leather rifle sling thanking me for all the data I sent him. I don`t believe the K15 is still made in his Seguin, Tx shop anymore, I think he uses Rem. and Win. actions now due to costs.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    The "look what this sold for" threads always give me a grin. Any tangible item is worth exactly what someone will pay for it. Stevens-Pope rifles aren't leaning in every pawnshop, and the fellow that bought it may be a 1%'er or a carpenter with a passion for single shots from another era. Life is all about choices and priorities; I try to not project mine onto others. It and the Turnbull are both lovely rifles, wish I could handle them!

On that note, thanks to ColColt for starting this thread and bringing this rifle to our attention.

My junior high school math teacher had a collection of schuetzen rifles including a Pope-barreled (High Wall?) and a Schoyen-barreled something. He encouraged my interest in shooting. After 40 years I realize how special it was to see and handle those rifles -- I have rarely seen their like in the decades since.

If that teacher owned a .28-30 I have forgotten it, and I would probably never have thought about a .28-30 had ColColt not started this thread. Thanks!

Now I want to build a .28-30 on something I can afford, maybe a modern Low Wall.

Boolit Buddy
    Forget the low wall and go for the real deal. CPA will build it your way, and even in .28-30.

http://www.singleshotrifles.com/

Before y'all get het up over that price, consider all that equipment to go with it. And finding any rifle of that era with the false muzzle still in the kit box an event!
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit1945 View Post
    Forget the low wall and go for the real deal. CPA will build it your way, and even in .28-30.

http://www.singleshotrifles.com/
    Thanks. I am heartened to see somebody is still building the real deal. Prices seem reasonable. Not sure I can wait until the kids are out of college . . .

Boolit Master
    In addition to making a nice rifle, the people at CPA are also very nice people to deal with. As far as customer service goes they are right up there with the folks at Shiloh.

Chris.