Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First cast deer (pic)

Wink First (and 2nd!) cast deer /w pics - updated

Got my very first cast bullet kill this past Tuesday, a nice fat doe! It's also my first big game with a revolver, I was using a Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44 Mag. Using the Lyman 429421 Keith SWC, cast of wheel weights with a little tin, Lyman Super Moly, sized to .430". The load was 20grs of 2400 and a Winchester large pistol primer and velocity was just over 1300 fps. Accuracy was less than 2 inch groups at 50 yards. I was in a ground blind next to a really tiny stream that runs through an oak flat and I also managed to put in a very small food plot. This doe and yearling came in just after 7pm and gave me a perfect broadside shot at 30 yards. At the shot, the big doe took off like nothing happened and I was a little worried, but then I heard a crash. I went over to where she was standing and there was no blood at all and hardly any blood trail. I kept walking to where I heard the crash and found her stone dead with a double lung shot not 30 yards from where she was standing at the shot. I was very surprised at how little a blood trail there was. There was no blood at all for the first 20 feet and then just little globs of blood the rest of the way. The picture shows how she was found and the exit wound and gun used. I thought I remembered reading on here that with these types of bullets, there is usually a decent blood trail? Minus the blood trail issue, I was VERY happy with bullet performance. I will try the Lyman Devastator hollow point sometime this season hopefully and see how that does.

Last edited by Grendel99; 09-20-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for posting. I'll hopefully be taking my first cast, first revolver and first .44 deer this season. I have a SBH Bisley nearly just like yours. Can't wait!

Looks a little low for a double Lung. Looks like a heart shot almost. Hmm

Good shot!!

In Remembrance

Nice! That's some gud eatin'.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Atta boy! Considering 30 yard is pretty much as far as they go, is a huge blood trail a real issue? I'll bet there was still a blood trail present from the point of impact.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Congrats! I hope to duplicate your success later this Fall.
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Congratulations. All of your work pays off, good job!

Boolit Grand Master
    Well done

Boolit Master

Not always a big blood trail. When you opened her up I bet the cavity was full of blood.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congradulations !
    That is the way to start a fun journey with lead.
    My first cartridge corn cruncher was with a revolver pushing lead also. Happinees only increases.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

Very nice work. You should be gratified with your work.

That is awesome! I have never shot a deer with a handgun or cast but hope to this fall. I recently aquired two lever actions and took up casting bullets.I also have been looking at the Super Blackhawk Hunter and I just handled one at my LGS. I like it. The wheel is turning!
    Life member NRA since 1976

Congrats! Nice job. I'm hoping to take a couple this year with a lee c309-170-f out of my marlin 30-30 this year.
    - Will

Boolit Master
    Congrats! Another hooked handgun hunter

Well I got another one this morning in the same spot! So now I have two revolver and cast bullet deer in one week! Saw a small 4 point at first light and three hours later without seeing anything I was about to leave but decided to wait 15 minutes. I'm glad I did, as this medium sized doe came right into the little food plot. Same gun and load and almost identical reaction and run as the first one. This doe definitely hunched up at the shot and was found dead within 10 feet of where the first one was. However, hardly any blood trail again. Yes, both does chest cavities were filled with blood. I thought I might of clipped the heart of the first one, but it was completely intact while I was skinning it. I've been handgun hunting for 3 years now and absolutely love it. Hardly ever use a rifle though I still like them too. Usually use a T/C Encore with jacketed but really wanted to get one (or two ) with the SBHH and cast. waksupi, I looked and looked and looked for blood on both deer and there was not a single drop at the impact site or for the first 10+ ft. I literally got on my hands and knees and looked. I'm usually very good at finding blood and have great vision (I'm only 28). Yes, it didn't really matter in this case because I heard where they went down and it wasn't too thick. However, anywhere else on my property and it would have been interesting. Btw that's the entrance wound. With the size of the entrance and especially exit wounds, it's baffling why there wasn't a huge blood trail. Can't complain though, have two deer in the freezer in one week. randy_68, I really like the Super Blackhawk Hunter, it handles well and has been very accurate with several loads and especially my hunting load.

Last edited by Grendel99; 09-20-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Boolit Bub
    WHOA! TWO IN ONE WEEK!!! Great work (although, admittedly, not true "work" :P )

Come say that after you help me drag these deer out!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel99 View Post
    Come say that after you help me drag these deer out!
    Hehe .... touche....

I hunt in the Ozark mountains of SW Missouri and I KNOW what a tough drag is.... so, I understand ya. But somehow, its ALL worth it.

Boolit Master

Congrats, I hoping to get one with my cast this year. It will be with a SBH Bisley Hunter in .44 mAg or .45 colt. I also have 2 SRH in 44 and 480 I want to try with.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy and Congradulations again !
    How wide is the nose on your boolit ? Is it possible both your shots exited between ribs ?
    The mix I use with my actual hunting load GC boolit (revolver) is 50-50 (WW-pure) up to 1250 fps. At about that velocity I run 75-25% (WW-Pure). So far have had ping pong ball exits with lots of leakage. Not worried about leadding as never had to pop the target more than once.
    But in the end.. what you have works ! Blaze away. You are doing good community service !
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I know that when you catch the back edge of the shoulder there are more layers to plug the hole and a void space to fill as well.