Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Tired of Looking at "maxi won't fit into the barrel" thread that won't move on ... So

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Tired of Looking at "maxi won't fit into the barrel" thread that won't move on ... So

... anyone one besides me using Rooster Jacket lube on their patches?
    Regards
    John

occasionally
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Boolit Grand Master

I used the same emmerts Improved that I make my grease cookies out of. Ive seen issues mixing lubes at work and on the farm. So I try not to mix them. I save the left over lube from cutting grease cookies until there is enough to melt into a new sheet, a few of the little pieces goes a long way lubing patches. I have also wet my patches when rolling with a mix of 1 part lee sizing die wax and 3 parts water, this carries the lube into the paper and lubes also. What ever is used can degrade the paper or act as a "glue" sticking the patch to the bullet

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    jojoba oil
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

This entire forum is deader than a 90 year old's Willy!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

dont talk about yourself like that Rick.
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

In Remembrance
    Just for something to talk about, I am trying a new trick ...

I thumb seat groove diameter patched bullets, and that means two things.
    - They can move a little in the case mouth.
    and
    - They are seated pretty deep in the case.

Going back through my notes, I found a load that I tried back in October of 2009 which produced small groups.
    It was 80 grains of powder with a veggie wad and a felt wad. I only tried it once, back then, and never found my way back to trying it again.
    Since I have a bunch of those felt wads already punched, I thought to give that load another look.

The stack I am using right now places the bullet in 'firm' contact with the lands.
    Because the bullet is too hard to 'engrave' easily, this would require an uncomfortable amount of thumb pressure to chamber the cartridge. But, the felt wad acts like a 'spring' ... so the bullet can slip into the case a few thousandths and allow the breechblock to close.

It's easy enough to assemble the loads, and the 'constant spring tension' of the felt wad seems like a method of making a loaded cartridge 'conform to the chamber' in a consistent manner.

I fired one batch of these, and a three hundred yard group was 'not bad'. But, my wiping patches had become too dry and they weren't really getting the job done.
    I should have a chance to try again in a few days.

As a side note, there is something my rifle likes about 80 grains of powder.
    Back when I was trying grease grooved bullet designs with various charges, an 80 grain load always did pretty well.

CM

Next ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Thank God,

I use felt wads, also nowdays, Results were very good at Phoenix, next week is Raton.

KW

Boolit Master
    My .45-70 also likes 81gr or 82gr of powder. From what I recall that is also about the same powder charge that Brent D. uses in his .45-70.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by powderburnerr View Post
    dont talk about yourself like that Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Just for something to talk about, I am trying a new trick ...

I thumb seat groove diameter patched bullets, and that means two things.
    - They can move a little in the case mouth.
    and
    - They are seated pretty deep in the case.

Going back through my notes, I found a load that I tried back in October of 2009 which produced small groups.
    It was 80 grains of powder with a veggie wad and a felt wad. I only tried it once, back then, and never found my way back to trying it again.
    Since I have a bunch of those felt wads already punched, I thought to give that load another look.

The stack I am using right now places the bullet in 'firm' contact with the lands.
    Because the bullet is too hard to 'engrave' easily, this would require an uncomfortable amount of thumb pressure to chamber the cartridge. But, the felt wad acts like a 'spring' ... so the bullet can slip into the case a few thousandths and allow the breechblock to close.

It's easy enough to assemble the loads, and the 'constant spring tension' of the felt wad seems like a method of making a loaded cartridge 'conform to the chamber' in a consistent manner.

I fired one batch of these, and a three hundred yard group was 'not bad'. But, my wiping patches had become too dry and they weren't really getting the job done.
    I should have a chance to try again in a few days.

As a side note, there is something my rifle likes about 80 grains of powder.
    Back when I was trying grease grooved bullet designs with various charges, an 80 grain load always did pretty well.

CM

Next ...
    there is something my rifle likes about 80 grains of powder.

It likes the PRESSURE that load is delivering! These rifles don't like 'wussy' loads! Got to get the pressure up!!