Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 1959 Winchester 30-30

Boolit Master

1959 Winchester 30-30

Got to love cleaning closets! My grandfathers 1959 Winchester 1894 30-30! My dad "Oh yah I forgot to tell you I picked it up when your grandmother moved into the retirement home". It's has 2 tiny scratches on the barrel and rust on the butt plate! My dad is a hunter and not so much a sport shooter so to speak.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1959 win 30-30.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	81056

It's mine now!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Master
    Very nice surprise! I have one made in 1954, the year I was born.

Perma-Banned

That is too cool.
    And just for some trivia I once met that gentleman in your avatar. Ben was a freind of my fathers, and was a friend of mines uncle. He and JW were the real deal, not sure if there will ever be any even close again.

Boolit Master
    300 Savage, That is very cool. Ben Johnson is one of my all time favorite real cowboy actors, Sargent Tyree in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. The pic is from one of his few leading roles "Fort Bowie" I think. Your dad and uncle kept interesting company.

Never mind the family connection, which is very sweet in its own right, the gun itself is in fantastic shape and the wood of the stocks is some of the more decorative wood I've seen on a '94. I'm not surprised that I can see your smile right over the web.....
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Master
    BCRider,

Yes, the wood is much darker and finer than my 2 post "64" Winchesters.

I now have a set of 30-30 dies on order and unfortunately a quick check of the Brass Cave reveals only 52 empties. Oh well, hunting season will soon be upon us and 30-30 is still fairly popular in this area. I should be able to score some brass and loaded cartridges without too much trouble. Another mouth to feed!

Perma-Banned

44V, the connection is that both Ben and my father were worlds champion team ropers in the RCA, which was the name before the P was added in front.
    I met Ben the first time I roped at the NFR in Vegas.

I know your excited about your Grandfathers rifle, it will be a special day when you take your first game animal with it.

I have its twin only with the flat barrel band, it shoots extremely accurately.
    They made em better back then.

Boolit Master
    very nice rifle! there even better when there's a story behind them.

Beautiful! Love the wood color.

Nice find, especially 'cause it was Grampa's.
    After many years and generations in the ranchhouse, my grampas guns were moved by my uncle to his place about 1/4 mile away for safekeeping under a security system, along with great Grampa's Officer's sword from the civil war and his slick 1892 in 38-40 with sweet patina and other priceless family heirlooms.
    Inside of a month they were all stolen, never to be seen again. after 40 years I am still sick and upset...
    Your find is equally priceless...you're a lucky man.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    pls1911,

What a tragic story the saber and an 1892! It makes me sick too just thinking about it and I was only 7 or eight when it happened to you. Theft of personal/family items is very difficult to deal with, its not about the money. The broken ties to the past can never be replaced!

My father's father (Dziadzia) has been gone for almost 28 years now and the 1894 will have an honored home for along time to come. I am very fortunate my mother's father is still alive and doing well he is the man I credit for teaching about fire arms and reloading. Both of my Grand Fathers were/are larger then life character's in their own ways.

My family is somewhat long lived, I have had the pleasure of knowing several of my Great Grandparents and even 1 Great Great Grandparent!