Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 303 savage

Maybe he is on a fixed income and cannot afford any at this time.

Boolit Master
    Indeed possible, and note I didn't mean it to be a brash statement! (Although it may have sounded as such. Not many around here are of as limited income as I am, I know of pinching pennies in order to buy good brass.)

Boolit Master
    300savage, ouch I felt it in body when I read of your situation. I pray for a quick recovery!

gnoahhh, no hurt on my account, yes I am regretfully on a fixed income. I fell off a silo when I was 12 and somehow worked thru the pain for 40 years and then it all caught up to me. I have had 3 operations and need 1 more. So I am not complaining because God has been good to me and I was not paraylized but with one in college and another soon there I have become somewhat of a cheapscape. I am going to look about getting some more correct brass for the 303!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Maybe he is on a fixed income and cannot afford any at this time.
    we're all on a fixed income. there's only so many hours in the week

Boolit Master
    451, so very true and this president and "our" govenor are sure trying to keep it fixed!(slightly off thread, sorry)
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I have a line on a stash of old (but good) American brass for the .303 Savage. If it comes through I'll contact y'all because I really don't need any more at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by stocker View Post
    John Barsness wrote an article several years back in either Rifle or Handloader detailing how he formed cases from either 30/40 or 303 Brit. Involved making a spindle that fit the neck of the case, holding it an electric drill chuck and filing the web area down to proper diameter while it spun. Think he said it only took a few minutes per case and he had proper case fit after running through a sizer and trimming to length. Hornady recently (in the last year or so) did a run on loaded cartridges (150 grain) and you might still find some on the market if you search.
    This can be done, but it's not as simple as it looks. Done incorrectly, you get a thin "belt" just above the web that can generate frequent head separations. (I've done this type of conversion, including the extremely drastic one that makes .22 Lovell from .223 brass.) Believe me, if there's any commercial brass to be had, you don't want to be making it this way.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    This can be done, but it's not as simple as it looks. Done incorrectly, you get a thin "belt" just above the web that can generate frequent head separations. (I've done this type of conversion, including the extremely drastic one that makes .22 Lovell from .223 brass.) Believe me, if there's any commercial brass to be had, you don't want to be making it this way.
    uscra: I don't have the magazine any longer and after thinking about your comment Barsness may have sized them prior to the thinning thus removing the metal primarily over the web rather than the thin area in front. If any one can track down the article it would clarify what I remember.