RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Took a Giraffe with the .44

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Giraffe have massive split hoves, I don't know the corect english word but, for a lack of better words they do "re-chew" I think. It is not a horse at all and the only thing they have in common with zebra is that they both occure in Africa. It's to me a very large bovine antilope with short horns and a long neck..... And according to Moses they may be munched ~!

The load I use behind the 320 LFN won't help you much as I don't believe you okes can get our propellants. The powder I use is Somchem S265 @ 23grain that launch the boolit @ 1400fps in the 9.5" barrel.

Here are some more pictures of a bull we took last year when we photographed the whole slaghtering/dressing process.

Here's your split hoof
    Attachment 80300

Here is the Liver
    Attachment 80302

And this here is what makes a giraffe a BULL giraffe
    Attachment 80303
    I just looked at some Hodgdon data and we may be able to get close to your results. Hodgdon says a 325gr BTB LFN GC and 22.0gr H110 (our common MAGNUM handgun powder) should get 1368fps.....I'd be willing to try if someone provided the BTB bullets....LOL
    Pretty interesting nonetheless....
    "In GOD We Trust"

This is why I love ruger revolvers!
    1,000,000 peso man

Wow, I'm just wanting to kill a whitetail.
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    Could you tell me the length of that bullet and the COL of the cartridge? I want to try running in through Quick Load to get an approximate estimate of pressures.
    Please forgive me for taking so long to answer you, but here's the info on the boolit:
    Weight when lubed with gascheck = 326.5gr
    Boolit Length with Check = 0.908"
    COL=1.775"
    Powder is Somchem S265 @ 23gr

I did the quik-load thing by changing the specs on the 310 LEE and pressure looked acceptble to me if you take the stronger frame of the SRH compared to others into account (44500psi CIP equals 40800 I think, but I would appretiate to know what you get.
    Last edited by Fisher; 09-08-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    I just looked at some Hodgdon data and we may be able to get close to your results. Hodgdon says a 325gr BTB LFN GC and 22.0gr H110 (our common MAGNUM handgun powder) should get 1368fps.....I'd be willing to try if someone provided the BTB bullets....LOL
    Pretty interesting nonetheless....
    Lefty
    According to my Somchem booklet S265 compares to IMR4227; H4227;Hercules 2400; W296 and AR2205.

I recon W296 @ 23gr might be be the closest one to my velocity and H110 should do roughly the same nominal velocity @ 23gr, both of them at lower pressure than my load with S265.
    Last edited by Fisher; 09-08-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Lefty
    According to my Somchem booklet S265 compares to IMR4227; H4227;Hercules 2400; W296 and AR2205.

I recon W296 @ 23gr might be be the closest one to my velocity and H110 should do roughly the same nominal velocity @ 23gr, both of them at lower pressure than my load with S265.
    Some say W296 and H110 are the same. Personally I don't think they are but I have no evidence of this either other than others hear/say and a friends experience. But I'm not here to argue that crazy point.

I would NOT try and substitute 2400 for your powder, its a good bit hotter/faster burning according to what your S265 compares to. The IMR 4227 has been a good magnum powder for 44mag.
    I use a lot of H110 and I have a 9 1/2" SRH also. While I don't have a heavy .44 mold YET, My pet load for my SRH is 260gr Keith style SWC (clone of H&G #503) over 23.5gr H110 and a mag primer. It quite accurate and its running 1450fps from my SRH.
    I've always like seeing and hearing about game taken from anywhere in the world. BUT what makes it more interesting to me and for me is to hear the load details.
    Thank you for sharing that info about your Giraffe.
    "In GOD We Trust"