Load DataInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who here is a fan of Skeeter Skelton and his writings?

Boolit Master
    I too have been a LONGTIME fan of Skeeter. I looked forward to his articles each month in Shooting Times. When his books came out,, I bought them. (Still have all 3.) I also have a few of the ST Special mags that he did. I had the pleasure of meeting him in 1982 at the SHOT Show. I later on got to shoot a gun that belonged to him. Now, I'm also the proud owner of a rare piece of Skeeter's personal items.
    It's hard to find anybody even close to Skeeter when it came to story telling. But, I can also say I enjoyed Jordan, Keith, and a few others. Later on when Sheriff Jim Wilson came along, he came close to Skeeters writing style. No Skeeter,, but close enough to make me enjoy his stuff. When I got to know Jim, he's just as nice as Skeeter was.

And I have to say that sixshot has posted an honest appraisal of things he knows of first hand. He too is "one to ride the river with."

Moderator Emeritus

I enjoyed Skeeters cartridge and historical writings but never felt a real kinship with them. I read almost all that Elmer wrote and thought the world of him. I think much of that might be living and recreating in the same areas he did for much of his life. [ID & MT]. It is easy to believe those folks as being credible when you can see the country they describe.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I'm glad these guys left a written record. I have all Skeeter's books. Last time I looked they were outrageous on the open market, something like $100, so the fellows that didn't grow up reading them probably just won't be familiar with what they wrote.

Just last week I was reading the Gun Notes books that were Elmer Keith Guns & Blammo columns assembled in one place. I have most that Jeff Cooper wrote too. If nothing else, it is a step back in time.

I sometimes wonder what these guys would think of the trends in the modern gun industry. George Nonte did an article on his ideal autoloading pistol in Shooting Times back in the 1960s or 1970s. No one made one with all the features he wanted and he picked the .38 Super cartridge with an alloy frame but said he really wanted a .40. George would have been on board, I think, with all the polymer pistols and the .40, 10mm, and .357 Sig.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

For all you Skeeter fans, here is a link to the biggest collection of articles by Charles Skelton that I've found so far. The articles are not scanned from magazines, I think they are retype of actual articles.
    http://darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm
    Hey WCP, Thanks for the link. I got some reading to do.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 of his books did not know there was a third.

Boolit Master

Was always a fan. Stopped my subscription to Shooting Times shortly after Skeeter's passing. Just wasn't the same. No magazine scripts any more. Just American Rifleman. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Been reading Skeeter since his stuff was first run and he's still one of my favorites.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Mold
    I read many of Skeeter's articles, I enjoyed all of his stories also, John Taffin is one that I read nowdays, He knew Keith, Skeeter, Jorden and many of the others and has written about them.
    I have read some of Bart Skelton's articles and he writes much like his dad.

Boolit Master
    Really enjoy Skeeter and have both of his books. They sit in a nearby bookshelf where I can get to them quickly, and have been read thru a few times. I like his mix of practical shooting knowledge with story telling, and his writing style is comfortable.

Some others -- I like Mike Venturino's writing style, but not all of his articles, because of his wide interests. I just don't give a damn about blackpowder, for instance.

I liked Bob Hagel and have his book nearby as well.

I have Ackley's book but use it mostly as a reference. Great info but not easy to read.

I often pull out Ken Waters' Pet Loads, to read for fun as well as reference. I use it as much as my better loading manuals.

I enjoyed Francis Sell's articles and sought out an old copy of his deer hunting book.

There are some other good ones too, these just immediately jump to mind, I can see the bookshelf from here.
    Paul

Who ??? Don't know anything about him other than his name, but I was a big fan of his brother Red Skelton ....
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master
    Long time fan of Skeeter Skelton, he used to write for Shooting Times, lost interst in the Mag after his death same thing with Dean Grinnell who used to write for Gun World as well as doing several of those reloading how to books.

Can't forget Ken Waters his stuff in Handloader was way ahead of the curve when compared to the rest of the gun scribes doing so called writing.
    All of them had a unique writing style that gave you info with a smile on your face!

Considering the worlds condition a little relief and humor makes the end of the day easier to deal with and I can't think of a single person that currently fills any of thier shoes, which is sad.

Boolit Buddy

no doubt Skeeter and Jordan were tops

Boolit Master

Skeeter

Because of Skeeter I grew up the way I did. He`s number 1 in my book .

Boolit Master

So Texasflyboy, we've answered your question. Can you share why you want to know?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Bub
    Skeeter is the all time greatest, in my book. Jordan, Keith, Askins and Cooper.
    I remember meeting my BIL's dad for the first time, and finding out he was a "gun guy" too. Felt soooo bad when I had to inform him Dobe Grant was fictional!!
    We still have a few good ones, Venturino, Pearce, and Taffin come to mind.
    One writer whose name I hate to see forgotten, is Bon Milek. Really liked him too.

Skeeter-- Jordan-- I met Jordan once. Keith. Mike who?
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    Farmall,
    Always liked Bob Milek and Ross Seyfried too.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Moderator Emeritus

I lost a ot of respect for Milek after the 357 Max fiasco. IIRC, he was the impetus behind the exposure of throat cutting, which happened with other calibers as well. I don't thin k he wanted anything to compete with his Herret cartridges. Then he put down the 357 when his handloaded speer swedged soft lead boolits would not kill a treed bear.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Skeeter's writing style made me search for his articles. I enjoyed each of them, technical and fictional alike, and each one caused me to smile. He gave rise to my interest in 44 Special. That interest led me to convert an S&W M28 to 44 Spl., buy other firearms in that caliber, and still wait for more to appear to join the herd. When I learned of his passing I experienced a sadness that lingers - that of losing a friend I had never met. Still miss him and his writings.

Boolit Master
    always enjoyed Skeeter's writing...
    Led me to buy my first .44Special and then a Lipsey's Flat top Ruger.

He was right about 7.5 GRS of Unique over a 240gr LSWC