MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MCD ProductsTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision

Page 76 of 130 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586126 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2592

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Mold
    That's what I thought. I have 2000 cast, sized and lubed (blue lube in grove only). How do I get that out?

You could try boiling them

Boolit Man
    I didnt have much luck with boiling them, they still have a greasy residue on them. You might try boiling them to get the biggest part of the lube off then tumbling in a bucket with some sort of paint thinner.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have degreased hundreds and hundreds of boolits. Best way I have found is to get the largest ziplok storage container you can find, put several inches of "greasy guys" in it (not too deep) and cover with laq thinner. Put the lid on, swish it around vigorously to make sure all are coated and covered and let it set overnight. Then next day, swish vigorously for several minutes again. All the grease should be dissolved. Pour the thinner off and save for another batch. Rinse the newly cleaned boolits in fresh thinner a couple times, saving all to repeat the process.

The 1st batch if thinner will get contaminate very rapidly, so do not use more than a couple three times. Throw it out and use the rinse thinner for the initial!

That cleans all the goo out and they are now good and clean for PC'ing.

Works perfectly for me! Every time.

bangerjim

Boolit Man
    thanks, bangerjim ill have to try that on some cast .45s I bought a few years ago.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I have degreased hundreds and hundreds of boolits. Best way I have found is to get the largest ziplok storage container you can find, put several inches of "greasy guys" in it (not too deep) and cover with laq thinner. Put the lid on, swish it around vigorously to make sure all are coated and covered and let it set overnight. Then next day, swish vigorously for several minutes again. All the grease should be dissolved. Pour the thinner off and save for another batch. Rinse the newly cleaned boolits in fresh thinner a couple times, saving all to repeat the process.

The 1st batch if thinner will get contaminate very rapidly, so do not use more than a couple three times. Throw it out and use the rinse thinner for the initial!

That cleans all the goo out and they are now good and clean for PC'ing.

Works perfectly for me! Every time.

bangerjim
    This is how I do it as well except I use a plastic jar I can seal.

Boolit Grand Master
    One more step I have used on really dirty/greasey slugs. After the last rinse in clean laq thinner, I pour in very hot water with Simple Green in it to cut any final remains of a grease film. That stuff is an amazing degreaser.

Rinse in plain hot water.

Dry 'em in the sun and have at the PC'ing!

bangerjim

Attachment 81535
    Today's test 40.8 gr H335, LC 308, CCI LRP, 165 GC, 0.310, 60/30 Roto antimony(4% SB)/pure, HF red, cooked @400 for 30 min & WD, 1 wk ago. Don't know how the scope got off, got the procedure backwards so took 3 shots to get on target. 6 in 1", last 4 drifted. The upper is aluminum so I'm guessing me, heat or dirty bore. This is first string, others didn't get any better.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Popper, that's outstanding compared to the results I got last time. I guess I need to swallow my pride and just try adding gas checks to mine.

That is a max jacket load of H335. A slower powder may do better but I'm half convinced it's the PC residue causing the problem. The other groups were low left, typical of all my cast rifle shooting. Haven't looked at the bore yet. It should have been the 10 shot string Gear is looking for & I missed the clean cold bore test too (Gear - I haven't consistently noticed the first shot error but I haven't gotten cold weather yet). Darn. I do want to try sans GC at a much lower load. I did try H-T in the 30-30 using the 308 CBs and the results were about the same, GC slightly better.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

............AVON Calling...................

Maybe it's Maybelline...............or Septemberbelline.........but I finally loaded 'em.

I have always said I thought the HF ES gun-coated red slugs in a 45LC look like lipstick. I have 150 of these 'lil red dudes I did several months ago B4 I standardized on matte black that need to find their way down range, so I loaded up 50 of them with 5.6gn of American Select and they are ready to fly.

Attachment 81553

I still think they look like tubes of lip gloss!

bangerjim

Think they will get through security?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I need to go back and do the exact same load I did before but try them with gas checks. Then I will at least know if it's because I'm skipping checks or if the finish is to blame. I know that same load works with the lubed lead and a check but it may be too many variables to just coat them and run no checks and assume it's going to work.

I have been looking at all of these different methods for achieving the same end. Powder Coat, HiTek, etc. I did find a link to a post on tngunowners.com from Dolomite_supafly and it seemed really well put together explaining the Acetone Method so I copied his post. Duly noted here that I am not plagiarizing or infringing his or anyone else's copyright I just thought it should be shared! So I made a powerpoint presentation! I wanted to post a note over at tngunowners.com but was unable to join after several attempts. Can I post a copy here? Does anyone know Dolomite_supafly?

Rick45Colt

Boolit Master
    Dolomite_supafly

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lomite_supafly

He is here with a lot of Posts.

Boolit Master
    Finally got the 429303-like mold I've been looking for forever- it's actually the NOE 199gr spirepoint with a PB, so it's not a 429303 at all, but the idea is the same! PC'd up they actually weigh in at 201gr, +/- about 0.6gr.

Sure did cast some cool bullets. Those points were fairly sharp!

But I need to find load data for these. If nothing other than just needing to see how much spare wood, water jugs, or junk they can go through (since these are supposedly excellent penetrators and fairly accurate...) I'd like to find some "hotter rodded" info for a .44 mag with a 200gr lead slug. Guess I can just use jacketed data though (I'll reduce and work up though, I think!)

Most 200gr lead .44 loads in my books are popcorn-fart level loads though. Nothing wrong with that, but I gotta see how hard and accurate I can push these just in the name of science.

The jacketed stuff though- Hodgdon has a 27.5gr max load of 296 pushing a 200gr at 1800 fps! I bet that'll be a trip.

Not sure whether to bother coating bases. I haven't had much leading if any out of my pretty stout loads 240s and 310s.

This was my first NOE mold and I like it a lot. Really well made and solid. Once it started throwing good ones after about 10 casts, it didn't stop.

OK, just call me stupid. When i was sizing for this last loading, I noticed some going through with no force. That means I got some of the 1/1 alloy, previous sized mixed in with the 2/1 alloy that hadn't been sized. I did 20 rnds of the 'new', had about 50 left from the 1/1 alloy that I shot later, much larger groups. Makes sense. I'll load another 40 next week after some serious sorting. If correct, I should get 20 shot string in 1" @ 100. If that theory holds I can go to Houston and try qual for 200. Crossing my fingers. I use gas and then acetone to clean off old lube. I may try to get better powder from Russel, the TGIC free type.
    Yup, bore is spotless so now I get to do some sorting.
    Last edited by popper; 09-12-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Popper, was that in the 308? W/D, 2/1 alloy with H/F powder coat? Sounds like your doing better than I am with the rifle loads already. I haven't tried W/Ding the powder coated boolits yet, but I assume I can just re-heat to 400, hold for a little bit, and dump in cold water. I did put some JPW on some boolits last week, and the P/C was not affected. Might help to add just a coating of it for a friction modifier. Powder coated, and waxed for a smooth ride.

xacex yup, 308 AR carbine. Should be able to do 1/2 hr @ 400 then dump in cold water, in a BIG bucket. I am using a hospital plastic bed pan, maybe 6 qt. The water gets warm when you dump 400 165 gr into it. I ice it down, wait for the ice to melt. My first batch were coated & cooked, reheated later & WD. No problem. My mistake was getting @ 25 1/1 mixed in with the 400 2/1 cast. Darn. I do add the appropriate amount of shot and a little copper to the Roto Antimony lead/pure. I think I'll size the whole bunch, toss out the ones that go too easily. Then I'll load 40 & try again w/o cleaning the bore. Need to see where that first cold shot goes. If it goes OK I'll do some more and save for winter testing.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Rick45Colt contacted me over at http://www.tngunowners.com asking for permission to use my information.

This is what I told him at 7:20PM on 9/12/2013:
    Do not use my pictures or my words.

I have zero issue with people seeing it in a post I have made but when third parties start spreading it I have no control over what is and is not being attributed to me. I do not want someone to try to sue me because some altered my words and passed them off as mine.

Hope you understand. Keep it to yourself or if you want link my post but please do not send it out.
    He read my response at 7:27AM on 9/13/2013.

I am not worried about taking responsibility for what I have posted or said. I do have a problem when someone may, down the road, make changes to my instructions that cause problems then I get blamed. I know it is a bit far fetched but anyone can sue for anything. Doesn't mean they will win but it will still cost me to defend myself.

Again, I have zero issue taking responsibility for what I post but I must also try to prevent misinformation from being spread as though it is mine.