RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oddest material you've seen someone make a mold out of?

Boolit Buddy

Oddest material you've seen someone make a mold out of?

Just been wondering what you've seen used other than brass, steel, or aluminum?
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” — George Orwell

Boolit Master

Cast iron.

Boolit Master
    Who's molds are steel?
    How about slug moulds made from sockets. Or a bored hard wood board for pouring a 12ga slug.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    Who's molds are steel?
    How about slug moulds made from sockets. Or a bored hard wood board for pouring a 12ga slug.
    hard wood huh?
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf” — George Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone ever try to make there own ?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have a round ball mold made of soap stone.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I have a round ball mold made of soap stone.
    Did you make that yourself

Boolit Master
    I was gonna mention soapstone, but Waksupi beat me to it. I've got a mold I made out of graphite. One maker (B&M I think) used to make molds out of solid nickel.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Man
    In my misspent youth (the statute of limitations has long since expired) I made a 1" pipe cannon.
    I cast the slugs using a couple of pine 2x4 chunks screwed together with a 7/8" hole bored from the end.
    The slugs weighed 2500 to 3000 grains.
    I forget the load but the recoil kept breaking the 2x4 the tube was strapped onto.
    IIRC I was getting about 11" to 12" of penetration in old utility pole stubs out in the undeveloped area North of the housing development.
    One shot at an old wrecked and crumpled car penetrated at least 7 layers of sheet metal.
    I quit playing with the pipe cannon when I got a Savage 340 in 222 Remington.

Boolit Master
    Awesome. I'm glad you still peck at the keyboard to tell us about it.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master

Ive seen molds made out of materials you wouldnt believe in industry. For starting casting we used to use plaster of paris. Polymer parts were a rubber mold. I have used wood for molds using epoxys or fiberglass. Used carbon to make a mold for gold terminals at work also. Sand was the mold medium for quite awhile also. WIth sand the accuracy of the form and packing of the sand made how accurate the mold was. Alot of parts are investment cast a wax image coated in ceramic slurry then the wax is melted out and mold is filled with metal. Hmm maybe another use for powder coatings there. As to bullet molds Iron cast brass bronze aluminum have all been used. Some were carved from sand stone in the early years as it was easy to work with.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by capt.hollis View Post
    Did you make that yourself

Yes, I made it myself. It's not perfect by any means, but will work for primitive outings.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I've seen folks make ingot molds out of sand. They take a piece of wood, cut it down to the size they want for the ingots, and then press it into a large shallow "tray" of sand. Using standard masonry / play sand, it doesn't come out as well as the green sand type of casting, but it works well enough for them, I guess.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

bhn22
    I made a one-time mold from 3/8 kiln dried oak one day to prove a point. A friend had asked me what I'd do if I didn't have my casting stuff and I needed ammunition. He was hinting heavily about some sort of Goobermint confiscation, and I thought it might be time for an object lesson for him. I took the piece of 3/8 oak and drilled six 3/8 holes in it, then I clamped a piece of aluminum to block the holes on one side and I poured molten lead in the holes, trying to make them as even as possible. I popped them out when they cooled and rolled them between two files to reduce the diameter to fit through the throats of my .357 revolver. I ended up with somewhat misshapen wadcutters for my effort, textured to hold lube. I smeared a little grease on the sides of the bullets and loaded them with the squarest end down. I used Bullseye, but I could just as easily (almost) used match heads to rebuild the primers and for propellent. We took them out shooting, and they did okay out to about 20 feet or so. I didn't push my luck, but I proved my point.

Boolit Grand Master

Plastic bottles filled with concrete for use in 1870 artillery.

Boolit Master
    Would you believe...Styrofoam and sand? Long ago and far away in my misspent youth I found out that the little styrofoam balls that they sell in craft stores can be buried in sand and then a small dowel used to make a hole down thru the sand to the ball. When lead is melted and poured down said hole the ball magically disappears and what remains is a nice ball with a sprue that needs cut. A piece of pipe and a welder and a decided lack of judgement and whallah....we have a cannon. It is true God watches over drunks and fools, I am living proof. (sober now going on 8 years) Audie...the Oldfool....

Boolit Master

When I was a kid my neighbor and I made a shot put mold out of a cocoanut. Drilled a hole to let the juice out, let it dry a few days, and then filled it with hot lead. It stunk up their basement and made a fist sized silver "brain". Fun to throw around as intended, not so much fun to catch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    Would you believe...Styrofoam and sand? Long ago and far away in my misspent youth I found out that the little styrofoam balls that they sell in craft stores can be buried in sand and then a small dowel used to make a hole down thru the sand to the ball. When lead is melted and poured down said hole the ball magically disappears and what remains is a nice ball with a sprue that needs cut. A piece of pipe and a welder and a decided lack of judgement and whallah....we have a cannon. It is true God watches over drunks and fools, I am living proof. (sober now going on 8 years) Audie...the Oldfool....
    I guess that would be called "lost Styrofoam casting"?

Quite ingenious...

What diameter projectile were you using?

What wall thickness pipe?

I've heard that a general rule of thumb for such things is that the wall thickness of the barrel should be the caliber of the projectile. Not sure if the chamber portion should be thicker.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by grumman581 View Post
    I guess that would be called "lost Styrofoam casting"?

Quite ingenious...

What diameter projectile were you using?

What wall thickness pipe?

I've heard that a general rule of thumb for such things is that the wall thickness of the barrel should be the caliber of the projectile. Not sure if the chamber portion should be thicker.
    Grumman this project originally started out as a way to make downrigger balls for fishing for stripers on Raystown Lake. We tried quite a few different sizes. The pipe happened to be just an odd piece found in the local dump...mebbe 3in. inside. Think it might have been a tool used to ram metal fence posts. I wouldn't wish anyone to emulate this stoopid trick as it is/was patently unsafe even with the low pressure of black powder. Now if one had a real cannon and was looking for fodder the casting method works and the balls are sold in many sizes. They sell them in craft stores to make Christmas balls or snowmen/etc. Be forewarned not to be peering too close to the pour due to fumes and flashback from the ignighting Styrofoam. It can take a while for eyebrows to grow back. Audie...the Oldfart..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    Grumman this project originally started out as a way to make downrigger balls for fishing for stripers on Raystown Lake. We tried quite a few different sizes. The pipe happened to be just an odd piece found in the local dump...mebbe 3in. inside. Think it might have been a tool used to ram metal fence posts. I wouldn't wish anyone to emulate this stoopid trick as it is/was patently unsafe even with the low pressure of black powder. Now if one had a real cannon and was looking for fodder the casting method works and the balls are sold in many sizes. They sell them in craft stores to make Christmas balls or snowmen/etc. Be forewarned not to be peering too close to the pour due to fumes and flashback from the ignighting Styrofoam. It can take a while for eyebrows to grow back. Audie...the Oldfart..
    OK... I think I'll pass on that one... Sounds like you lucked out and didn't create yourself a pipe bomb in that experiment.