Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading

Thread: 22 wrf,other bullets...

Boolit Man

22 wrf,other bullets...

I have an decent condition police positive in 22wrf that gives so so accuracy with the current 2 choices ,ala cci and winchester loads.the cci shoots better,like 6"@25yds rest.
    I measured the cyl throats,and of course they are .230" which is wayy bigger than the .224" bullet,generally not a good combination.
    My idea was to pull some wrf shells and replace with a .225/.226"
    cast pointed bullet of same weight.
    Or pull some 22 mag,trim the shell back to wrf length,and press in the different projectile,maybe cutting a couple grains of powder depending on how much is actually in there.
    I realize this is a waste of time,but isnt all good tinkering?
    Another plan was to save the fired wrf shells,cut off the rims,krazy glue the tube to a pulled 22lr shell,and press in the other bullet,also as a way to have wrf a second time around.

thought?

Early in the days of NRA Hunter Pistol, people were pulling the bullets in .22 WMR and replacing them with heavier bullets. Don't know how they were doing it, and don't want to. I bet they weren't pulling them with an impact tool.

Boolit Master

There was an article on the net several years back where a guy in Russia was reloading once fired .22 LR.

I can definitely see several problems that I don't know the answer to. If someone finds this article, please post it./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Moderator Emeritus

I don't know where you will find a boolit that fits the throat. With that said I would expect accuracy to be so -so at best. It really comes down to how bad you need it to shoot well. If it is sentimental keep tinkering and hope for the best. If you need good accuracy from it cut your losses and replace it with an accurate gun. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

There used to be a kit to reprime and reload 22 RF ammo ( early to mid 80's I think )
    I remember reading about it in a gun mag.

If you could some how reprime the cases
    You SHOULD be able to load it with a properly sized bullet

But finding the kit would be total luck

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Moderator Emeritus

IIRC a solution of water and match heads was mixed, poured and allowed to dry then you made sure not to hit the rim in the same spot. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Nominally, at least, the .22WRF bullet is supposed to be 0.226" diameter already. You'd be going in the wrong direction with the .224" bullets of the .22 RF Magnum.

I don't know what you could do with that combination of throat and bullet. If you're the stubborn type, you could get a .38 Spl cylinder for the gun, sleeve it with sections of .226" liner from Gateway Enterprises, rechamber, rethroat and retime. A lot of work, though.

I've heard of using slurries of match heads for repriming, but the priming obtained is corrosive, erosive, not overly reliable, etc.

Smile

The pyrotechnic enthusiasts have posted a good bit of info on making percussion sensitive primary explosives. If you want to read about how it's actually done in the firearms industry, get a copy of Tenney Davis' Chemistry of Powders and Explosives and one of George Frost's Ammunition Making. I'm not making my own primers.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

paco kelly makes a set up for 22lr,,,, do a google search on it,,,, it reforms the nose to a couple different hollow point styles,,,, and also bumps the bullet up in dia. ,,,you might be able to copy the idea for 22wrf,,, or they might even do it for you,,,just an idea

the upper left hand corner ie Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    Early in the days of NRA Hunter Pistol, people were pulling the bullets in .22 WMR and replacing them with heavier bullets. Don't know how they were doing it, and don't want to. I bet they weren't pulling them with an impact tool.

The bullets were pulled with side cutter pliers in a reloading press. I bought 20# of the pulls in about 73. Thy worked good in a .22 Hornet at about 2000 fps.
    Exblaster

Boolit Bub

Cool

Paco Kelly's tool would be a step in the right direction, it would seem. I remember reading somewhere that the guys pulling MRF bullets had made a shellholder from an '06 case. They cut it off at the base, then bored the primer pocket out to fit the MRF case. Lastly they made a slight counterbore to fit the rim. That way, they used a single-stage press and a standard '06 shell holder. HTH, and good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bug.
    It's the Little Things, that matter.

Boolit Master
    Ain't that how the .17 HMR was originally made - pulled .22 Mag bullets, necked down, and .17 bullets seated? Here's a thought - ream the chamber throats out WAY big, and then make inserts with a proper size exit hole, and silver solder them in place. It shouldn't cost more than 3-4 times the worth of the gun.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Man
    wise guy