Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run off at the local range while mining

Run off at the local range while mining

We have had some berms collapse due to the record rain we have been having. As a result they are going to get a bulldozer to move the berns back and flatten them out a bit. My friend and I in an effort to not lose the lead buried in the berms started getting more aggressive in our collecting. Out of the blue some geezer tells us we have to stop due to safety reasons. Why we asked? GET ready for this .. He thinks they would be liable if we were exposed to lead. When my friend pointed out that we were wearing gloves and other safety equipment. He changed it to "the berm might collapse" My friend pointed out that that was during a rain storm, it had not been raining and we were having to use a pick to dig that material out. There were 2 of us taking turns in case there was a problem. We pointed out that there was nothing in the bylaws that prohibited us from getting the lead. didn't matter we had to stop.
    Now mind you neither my friend or I are kids .. We are both in our 50's . We both work in industrial areas. We both have to deal with OSHA and are tested on the matter.

It kills me this guy would rather see the asset bulldozed off and lost than let us have it ..
    Last edited by kdiver58; 08-31-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Boolit Master

If your all members who is he to tell you anything? I'm sure he'll complain to someone but if he has a history of that the board might not even listen. I'd just keep "rebuilding" that berm by hand.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Sounds like one of those "makes up his own rules that others must abide" sort of fellas. We got 'em out here too. I usually ignore them unless it impedes my actions/duties.

I just never understand why some folk simply MUST get involved in other people's business when it is no business of their own? They seem to gravitate towards gun clubs, for some odd reason.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

ADMIN

I would return to the range and continue. Bring a wheel burrow and start "repairing" the water damage.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PS Paul View Post
    Sounds like one of those "makes up his own rules that others must abide" sort of fellas. We got 'em out here too. I usually ignore them unless it impedes my actions/duties.

I just never understand why some folk simply MUST get involved in other people's business when it is no business of their own? They seem to gravitate towards gun clubs, for some odd reason.
    Or politics!!!!!! LOL Mike.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Get some hard hats, and a clip board. That oughta scare him off!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Get some caution tape and a bundle of 3', pre-sharpened wooden marker stakes from the lumber yard and cord off your work area. Throw out anyone who crosses the line while you "repair" the berm. All those boolits/bullets in the berm material are ricochet hazards, doncha know, need to remove them and "dispose" of properly.

Gear

Moderator Emeritus

some clever answers are offered,....But seriously, us sportsmen can really fight over some stupid things. I offer this advice, go to the next meeting and get verbal permission from the club officers [or a members vote] to continue mining...while I'd be sad if they told you not to continue to mine it, at least it wasn't coming from one person that may or maynot have the right to tell you to stop.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Tell'em to move to CHICAGO, those folks up there will love him. (For awhile)

Something I should have added is that he is one of the safety officers .. Busy Body

QUOTE:
    "I just never understand why some folk simply MUST get involved in other people's business when it is no business of their own? They seem to gravitate towards gun clubs, for some odd reason."

No kidding. Some members, who are not shooting, walking around checking I.D.'s . How do they have time ? Nothing better to do than to act like you have some sort of police rights.

Boolit Grand Master

Frankly, unless he was a club officer or owner of the range I'd tell him to mind his own business. If another member was walking around trying to check ID's I'd tell him things I will not print here. I have a very large problem with self appointed busybodies.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

You and your friend get two more buddies to go with you, take 4 shovels, one guy shovel while the other 3 lean on theirs, nobody will mess with you, they'll think you're EPA.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Yep, we have them down here also. One of those "I finally have a title types", at fifty two still my cheek starts twitching and my knuckles get tight. I have moved strategies front. Anywhere from drizzle to pouring rain go, the estrogen vessels will be cribbed up at the house. Cooler, calmer and when home hose rinse for a cleaner melt. Gtek

Odd you would mention ID's and busy-bodies .. One other friend, a member, was talking off to the side . Another member comes by and starts complaining that his bore flag was not visible enough. He told the guy to piss off. The busy-body then grabs his ID . The friend takes it back and pulls out his badge and informs him he has just committed assault. He was nice and told him he would give him one more chance to go away before being arrested )
    Like I said before .. How do these people have the time to waste ?

"I have a very large problem with self appointed busybodies." Amen brother !

Boolit Master
    He probably stirred things up because you & your buddy BEAT HIM to it.
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post

Now your down to the real reason.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post
    I believe we have a winner!

Then again, there are a (thankfully) small number of people whose mission in life seems to be rooting out anyone doing something fun/enjoyable/worthwhile/recreational, and BY GOD THEY ARE GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. My favorite species of cattle to tip over, I should add.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Frankly, unless he was a club officer or owner of the range I'd tell him to mind his own business. If another member was walking around trying to check ID's I'd tell him things I will not print here. I have a very large problem with self appointed busybodies.
    you get asked to show id and you don't, either you leave or you will be charged with trespass. to many people think they are special and don't have to pay EVERY year to belong. Cops are the worse. these are our club rules and have no problem with this.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by finishman2000 View Post
    Cops are the worse.
    It isn't a gratuity......it's TRIBUTE. Yeah, seen that more than once. Kinda low-rent, really.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    "safety officer", if the range was "cold" his authority was ended unless there was a safety violation related to gun handling. At 63 I'm kinda intolerant of those who abuse others with their authority and most often simply ignore them and when they are close enough "finger salute" with a "get the H out of here"! Retirement is kinda nice.
    10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga