WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 788 Disaster

It would be interesting to learn more about its chamber and bore. I have an old pre 64 30-06 Winchester with a really short throat. The brass from factory loads look like they were over pressured. It doesn't bother me loading for it but if I were to sell it I'd have to tell the buyer.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    It would be interesting to learn more about its chamber and bore. I have an old pre 64 30-06 Winchester with a really short throat. The brass from factory loads look like they were over pressured. It doesn't bother me loading for it but if I were to sell it I'd have to tell the buyer.
    Absolutely. Had I KNOWN there was a problem, I would have used it for a cast boolit only rifle. No hurt feelings, and I am sure the gunshop guy probably didn't know because he and I have been acquaintances for years and he has told me worse things about weapons.
    As for the brass questions, all brass was full length sized, neck turned and trimmed to a uniform length. 308 brass is already a lot shorter than 7-08, so as is my necks are WAY short compared to factory rounds.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master

The bolts were brazed on in the first place and were not that strong. This is the MOST common breakage on the 788. Now the cure is not so simple. Either buy a new bolt handle for the price of a rifle and HOPE it headspaces or... You put the old bolt and handle in a jig after grinding relief all the way around and line up the threads as best you can. Then wire weld the handle back on and ean up with file and grinder and polish. Then recut the threads inside the bolt body to clean out the spatter and deformation and they try it and hope it holds. I have had about 90% luck with these, the hardest part is getting ALL the old braze gone because any braze under the weld spoils the whold job. Oh and when you weld don't forget the heat paste on the locking lugs and bolt body.