RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: uberti saa

Thanks. Now I have a target.

Boolit Bub
    i am a bit challenged when it comes to tech stuff , i did not have much luck getting a good pic , but here goes .... i still need to do the screws and lose the ugly red finish on the grip... maybe do something with the grip frame as well .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uberti.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	79568
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uberti.jpg  
    Last edited by portlybowlofpigfat; 08-18-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: maybe fixed the picture

Here is my favorite guide to such an endeavor. Boge Quinn Antiquing an Uberti. How about that!?
    http://www.gunblast.com/Boge_Uberti.htm

Boolit Grand Master

I never quite got the point of an ANTIQUE finish. You buy a new gun and pay someone to put a whoopin to it? I wonder how many folks in the old days went to the gun shop and said, " hey give me that one that looks all beat to $#@!". Certinaly a nice fire blue and silver plated back strap but RUST and acid etch??? Makes it shoot better???

Boolit Bub
    well normaly i would not refinish a near new revolver or rifle .
    but i just could not live with that matte black finish it came with , the only redeeming feature of the origonal finish was it made the revolver way cheaper to buy .
    hence the refinish , i didnt use any of the harsh chemicals , just some biodegradable stripper on a rag .
    now that i aint ashamed to been seen usin it i'll give her some honest wear from use

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I never quite got the point of an ANTIQUE finish. You buy a new gun and pay someone to put a whoopin to it? I wonder how many folks in the old days went to the gun shop and said, " hey give me that one that looks all beat to $#@!". Certinaly a nice fire blue and silver plated back strap but RUST and acid etch??? Makes it shoot better???
    The point is it's appealing to some, me included. No, I wouldn't buy a new gun then pay someone to make it look old (although many folks do), but I really enjoyed doing the antique job on this pistol. It's funny, at the local CAS matches I attend, no one gives a second glance to the new, shiny pistols, but ones that look old and have character, seem to draw a lot of attention.

Folks on internet forums like to post pictures of their shiny, unused, unscratched safe-queen guns, but pretty, unused or underused guns have zero appeal to me. I much prefer guns and pictures of guns with that "been there, done that" look. (even if they haven't) If I want to see pretty, I'll order a manufacturer catalog or visit their websites.

I bought my wife a pair or Hombre's that look pretty much like portly's and if she'll ever give me the OK, I'll antique them too!

One other thing about my antiqued .44 pictured above; as I mentioned in a previous post, mine is very much a utility gun so I don't baby it. A little over an hour ago as I was patching a barbed wire fence, I hung the grip on the bottom strand as I ducked under the fence. I felt one of the barbs scrape across the left grip, then across the back of the grip frame and the right grip panel. Oh well.....

portlybowlofpigfat, it's your pistol and you may unapologetically do anything to it any way you wish to do it!
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Of course the antique finish shoots better! Painting flames on hot rods makes'em faster! Facts of life. I dig the finish. I like the original rough finish on the gun except it was simply a paint on. Honest wear is a badge of pride, I'm a shooter, not a collector. If those inexpensive pietta clones hit the market, I may try the same, that or flames

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by portlybowlofpigfat View Post
    i am a bit challenged when it comes to tech stuff , i did not have much luck getting a good pic , but here goes .... i still need to do the screws and lose the ugly red finish on the grip... maybe do something with the grip frame as well .

Name:	uberti.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	79568
    Have you taken any cold bluing to that gun yet or have you only removed finish so far?

I would repeat my suggestion of shooting black powder through the gun and just clean the bore and chambers carefully, be a little sloppy with the exterior cleaning, or leave it a day before cleaning the outside, over time that'll build some genuine exterior wear. It will also do a number on your brass too, take a look at these 1866 receivers, first one is definitely stained by BP residue:

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/IMG_2438.jpg

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Unite...-013157-04.jpg

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CF9142B69841F0

Boolit Bub
    that pic is after being cold blued and thinning it back down with scotchbrite .
    sadly i wasnt able to get a picture that would show the color a bit better .... oldschool film i understand ... fancy iphone camera's are beyond me .

Boolit Bub
    i sanded the grip and gave it a few coats of tung oil

Name:	uberti2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	79887

tagged for interest. I am getting the SA bug big time. I have three in the stable now. Can CASS be far behind?

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"