Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: isreali mauser w/loose front sight

Boolit Man

isreali mauser w/loose front sight

Hey all I picked up an isreali mauser some time ago and it has always shot great. The problem is that when I took her out the other day for a wipe down the front sight band was loose. I could turn the whole band. I've never had that happen before and the rifle was never droped or abused what do I have to do to get the sight tightened up and centered again. I am hopeing it's an easy fix but don't know for sure.
    Thank you in advance
    Craig

MountainMan,

Sounds like the solder came loose. You can solder it back on if you have a torch available. If you don't you can epoxy it in place. (JB Weld or like product) For a proper bond you'll probably want to remove the front site band and then clean both interior and exterior surfaces. In either case, put the rifle in a padded vice and and make a trial run of aligning the front site with the rear site before attaching. A small witness mark may also come in handy.

Safe shooting,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Grand Master
    If it is like most other Mausers I have seen, there is a small set screw under the front sight that just bears on the barrel. I think its primary purpose is to hold the sight band for soft soldering.

I would drive out the front sight and look before removing the base, then clean things up, tin both the band and the barrel and reinstall it. It shouldn't take much heat to get things to sweat back together properly.

Robert

Boolit Man
    Thanks fellas I'll give it a shot this weekend and see if it works I've got some silver solder in the tool box.
    Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master

Not silver solder! Soft solder, like 63-37 ordinary electronic solder.

Bil
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

Softest solder that should be used is brownells high force 44.

Boolit Master
    I think if it has rotated more than a wiggle there is going to be an issue with screw. Screw should go into drilled hole at 12 0'clock. I would first remove screw and see if it is in two pieces, if so install a good one and just re-heat and you may be done. Gtek

Boolit Man
    I knew that I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. Thank you for the soldering info I have electrical solder too. I'll look under the sight and see whats going on with the set screw before I get started.
    Thank you all
    Craig