MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building a HD Shotgun!

Love Life
    H&R pardner pump protector- $140.00 out the door
    Black hawk sling that holds 15 shells- $24.00
    A bunch of wolf buckshot-$200.00

Total: $364.00

Looks ugly, but it has been dead nuts reliable. A cheap and lightweight package that is all business.

Banned

The Pardner Protector is an 870 clone, all parts interchange except receiver and possibly the barrels. Mine was as reliable as it gets. Here is 10 LEO reviews from Police Link site which gives it 5/5 stars.
    http://policelink.monster.com/produc...pump-protector.
    Not sure about the "lightweight" part, it is all steel and heavy in my book, at 7.5 pounds. Mine felt heavy compared to my 500/590's but I guess they weigh the same so I guess it is "lightweight."
    Last edited by jmort; 07-29-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Love Life
    7.5 lbs is not heavy.

Back to the OP- That is a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet looking shotgun. One day I'd like to build one up, but shotguns is the firearms category where I invest minimal effort in doing anything for them.

Vendor Sponsor

Love Life: We need to get you out on the skeet range a few times and you'll be wanting a $2000 shotgun in a hurry. Trap and Sporting Clays are also just as addictive, and especially if you bird hunt. After a few good rounds of skeet, there is not a whole lot of birds that are going to get by you. In fact they are downright easy. An 870 would also work just fine and with different barrels you could just about do it all with one gun. Swiss Army Knife approach is still valid.

I have a Citori XS trap gun that I also shoot Skeet with and would shoot SC as well if there was someplace close to do it. I also have a Citori Sporting Clays edition in .410 with 32" bbls. that I shoot skeet with. I can also shoot birds with these guns but carrying a 9lb trap gun around all day would get old. I hope to shoot doves with the .410 this year, and it will be sweet to get my limit with 10-12 shells. The gun is an absolute joy to shoot and I am getting pretty good with it.

These guns are money in the bank as they hold their values well and make shooting the sports so much more enjoyable.

I also have a very, very, nice 1964 Browning A5 with mod and full bbls in the case. It is my field gun. But I don't use it for clay shooting anymore simply because the other guns work better.

All are all highly desirable guns in the resale department. I tend to pick more desirable guns to buy simply because one day I will have to sell them off.

Guns are the most liquid asset you can own. I consider them all to be investments. In my wife view,,,"not so much?"

I also have a Mossberg 500 that cost $212 new I have put another $150 in it and as soon as the Magpul furniture is available I get that for it just because it makes the gun easier to shoot. Not worth as much but still very saleable in a pinch. It is my 3 gun shot gun, and will get shot like hell.

The round ball loads we are all trying also make it easier to shoot. In that discipline, making any hole in the target is good enough. No limit on Power Factor yet, I don't think?

All of these guns "could" be used for HD, however the M500 is loaded and ready to go in 10 seconds. There is also an old A5 lurking in the garage somewhere with a butt cuff with assorted rounds in it, just in case.

I think this is all about covering all the bases. Everybody has their own ideas about what covers the bases for them, and this is a good thing.

Where I live it is 20 minutes til the Sheriffs arrive.

They told me to do what I needed to do and they would clean up the mess.

Real confidence booster, huh?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Love Life
    I never got into shotgunning for fun. I mean to try it some day!!

A big thanks to SeaGiant for a step by step (with pictures no less) on how to build up a sweet home defense/truck shotgun.That thing went from blah to awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    For HD, I see no need for sights at all, although a tritium bead might be nice in the dark.

Target ID is more important than seeing the bead but not being able to ID the target (IMHO)

A side saddle shell carrier seems to just add bulk to an 870.

It does change the handling of the 870 some but it give ability to reload instantly without having to take the gun down or needing to look

That Magpul stock looks interesting, and definitely is functional for someone needing other than "average LOP or drop".

Does look interesting - I also like the idea of the speed feed stock
    You might like to look at the longest distance you "May" have to shoot with your HD shotgun - put a few target up at equal distance and try a few slugs at 'em - without sight reference it can be an eye openner.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thanks LL, I'll put some pics up showing what I change on the internals! I had never heard of the Pardner Pump,looks like it has a loyal following and it's half the price of an 870 Remmy! Found a pic with Magpul furniture!

You guys sitting on the fence on the Magpul Stock and Forend for the 870 and 500 need to get off and try one! Very nice!!!
    Last edited by seagiant; 07-30-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Vendor Sponsor

Well,,, I just got some sucko news from Magpul today. I called them direct and it seems that they have not released the new stock and fore end for the Mossberg 500 yet. nor do they have an ETA when it will be released!

This sucks ! I wanted to finish my gun up, but it looks like it will be a while before they start shipping product.

On a brighter note, they said they had NOT moved anything to Texas. They said they had not decided to move "anywhere." so that is still up in the air.

I was under the impression that they had already moved a portion of their operation to the DFW area and were up and running. This apparently was fueled by rumor and is, as of this time, not happening. This info was from Customer Service at Magpul.

It appears to me that they maybe staying and fighting, and from all reports the Democrats that got elected last time maybe out on their arses after this next election. People were pretty pissed when their elected officials went ahead and passed all that bad gun legislation, despite a fairly large public outcry against it.

I think it is a good thing that they haven't ran out on all of their employees and local businesses that support them. It certainly would be a logistical nightmare to move a company like that.

I just want my stock and fore end. Waaaah !

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    Hi Randy,
    That's news to me,(all of it!) I thought the Mossy 500 stocks were actually a few weeks out! This will be bad news to A LOT of people! As far as Magpul leaving Colorado,I'd rather they put up a fight and the people of the state get behind them and straighten out some politicians! Like the man said,"you ain't gotta stand tall,but you gotta stand!"
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thought I would show the internal changes made to the 870 Express model to bring it more in line with the 870 Police model. This was changing the carrier dog spring to a Rem 1100 spring (black colored) the extractor from an MIM type to steel. The MIM has a mold line on it (the one I'm holding). The safety I changed to a left hand model,and a red aluminum magazine cap . The cap is aluminum instead of SS to guard against peening the mag tube/receiver junction over time!

Hopefully this winter I can build a new oven and Cerekote this shotgun to finish it completely!

Vendor Sponsor

HAAAA! OK just ordered a Magpul stock for my M500 from LAPG. Apparently the little girl at Magpul Customer Service was FOS!

Since she either BS'd me, really didn't know, or just plain lied, I am reluctant to believe her line about not moving anything out of state either.

Who knows? Anyway they had the stock in stock and so it should be here in a few days. I also got an MBUS for my AR and a front sling attach for the shotgun. This place is pretty close to me in Valencia CA about 50 miles from home. if I had another reason to go that way I'd just pick up the stuff at will call, but shipping is only $7 so I probably couldn't make it there and back on two gallons of fuel.

Been looking at VW Diesels for a while now.

Can't wait for this stuff to show up.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    As you can see in post #51 I was surprised about the Mossy Magpul stocks. We will need pics of course!!!

Does diesel have enough BTU's to over come the price per gallon now, over gasoline?

Vendor Sponsor

Greg: Diesel is 18,000 btus per pound, and gas is about 10,000. Diesel out here is right at $4.00 per and regular is about $3.90 so yes.

My 30 year old Benz gets a consistent 23-25 combined and 27 on the road to and from Vegas. The VW Jetta Wagons are consistently getting near 50 mpg even though 42 is the advertised highway mileage. The Golf Diesels are the exact same platform but with less weight. I would want the extra space of the Wagon. The Audi A3 "Hatchback" is just a Jetta Wagon with a different front clip. Assembled on the VW line. VW owns Audi.

I like the Audi's too but am not willing to pay an extra $10K for a different grill and name tag. I drove one and the power is very respectable right off the bottom. Variable Vane Turbo and Variable Valve timing. 0-60 is about 7 seconds. The VW is a 2500lb car with 140 hp. I was impressed with the power and you don't have to worry about pulling out in traffic like you do with my Benz.

My Benz ins a 5000lb car with 115 hp. 0-60 on the Benz is 22 seconds!

On another note it turns out that LAPG has NOT got the Stock! I cancelled the order. I am bummed,,,but as stated earlier the stocks have not shipped yet, and no ETA!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-05-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hi Randy,
    I'm not showing this as a best price but they are showing in stock I guess? http://www.opticsplanet.com/magpul-i...oss-stock.html

Gas is about $3.40 here where I'm at and diesel is more,don't really know cause I don't use it, but know there is a line where the price gets to high it will even out to just buying gas. From your figures it seems it's got a way to go. As far as driving a Benz or an Audi I'll take the BENZ! I do love things made by the Master Race!

Well, I just remembered the Audi is made in Germany too!! I'd still take the BENZ! I always wanted the older 4 door sedan!
    Last edited by seagiant; 08-06-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

That one is an SEL long wheelbase version. S class, "Einspritzen" fuel injection, and Long WB.. Mine is a 300SD,,, S class Diesel, It's a 1983 and it has been the best car I've ever owned. I've had it for 12 years now and it had 160K on it when I got it. It is just coming up on 285K and an oil change and tire rotation. Still ahs original paint which is nearly flawless. I just got the front end aligned a few months ago when I bought my third set of new tires, and the car is an absolute joy to drive. Tracks perfectly strait down the road and is effortless to drive. Not a hotrod by ay means, 0-60 in 22 seconds, but a decent 70mph car on the freeway on Cruise. It only ahs 115hp but will still crest the Conejo Grade, 3 miles @ 6.5%, at 62 mph with a running start and no idiots in the fast lane.

I have done my house to Vegas, 350 miles, in 5 hours flat at 70mph on CC, and only dropped off CC once at the transition from the 210 to I-15! Got 26mpg going over and 28 coming back. Pretty hard to beat that in a 30 year old car that weighs 4800 lbs.

Don't get me wrong, these cars have to be maintained. they will go to ship if not maintained. most of them are ***'s now simply because people thought they were such good cars that they didn't have to maintain them. They become Expensive ***'s! I looked at 50 of them before I bought this one and it is in way better shape now than when I bought it. I paid $4500 for it, and have put another $6-8k in it over the years.

The Diesels were $45,000 when new. The same car with the gas motor, 300 SE, was $36,000 you see that the diesel engine was a $9,000 premium. That was in 1983 so these were not cheap cars. But when you consider that I drive mine everyday and it is 30 years old you can see the value.

The engines in these cars (MBZ OM 617) are arguably in the top three most reliable engines of all time. The Onan opposed twin generator motor, and the normally aspirated MBZ OM 616 (240D motor) being the other two. I have seen one 616 motor in a 1983 240D with over800K on it and still running back and forth to work everyday. The 617 motors have nitrided cranks, cams, and valve rotators, along with an oiling system like an Italian fountain.

Needless to say this one lives in the garage when not on the road.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-06-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hi Randy,
    I fell in love with the Big 4 door SEL sedan in Rotterdam,Holland as that was what practically ALL the Dutch drivers used! We were young and had money to burn and always used the taxis instead of the tram and those drivers would make those cars sing running all over the city!

I showed a buddy of mine an SEL 450 sedan one time when we were talking about cars. He ended up buying one for about $8000 and it was really nice and I got to drive it some. The solidity of the ride and workmanship in the car is so different from a US made car. The story has a bad ending though as he did not get the timing chain changed out at the required interval and it broke and wrecked the engine! End of car,he bought another more modern Mercedez and I didn't like it as much as the old 80"s SEL!

Vendor Sponsor

Greg: oh optics planet, in fact, doesn't have any of those stocks , and have never sold any despite listing it. They are willing to place it on BO but that is pointless since nobody has ever gotten this product. yet.

I'm kind of annoyed about this. AS several outfits are listing the product but nobody has ever gotten one.

I am now going to the Post Office in my Benz to see if my Buckshot mould has appeared.

Three gun shoot this weekend. Gotta load some ammo!

Randy

Vendor Sponsor

Got the buckshot mould today. It looks just like the pictures on the for sale thread. will cast some balls and bucks soon.

Randy