RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Manual lifting tools for arthritic casters?

Manual lifting tools for arthritic casters?

Arthritis makes lifting boxes of bullets and lead ingots tough for me. So I've looked for tools to help but haven't found much other than a baling hook which is handy for lifting the 31-lb. isotope cores. I'd thought of ice tongs like I'd seen icemen use but they are 'antiques' now and sell for collectible prices. Grippers and grabbers sold as assistive devices aren't strong enough.

Maybe I just don't know what to call such a tool is why I can't find anything?

Do any of you have or know of tools for lifting heavy weights from floor level?

Help!

Ficus
    NRA Endowment Member

Imagine the potential power of a worldwide network of people aligned
    with the vision of saving the world from the sociopaths currently in charge.

Moderator Emeritus

This may not be what you had in mind, but I purchased the hydraulic table cart from HF - lifts 1,000 lbs. I used mine to hold a hitch assembly I put in my wifes Durango and worked perfect. Lifts items about three feet.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...art-69148.html

How about tongue and groove pliers?

Boolit Master
    Attachment 78317Attachment 78318When used on the end of a robot arm such tools are called end effectors.

There are also small air counter balances that can help with the actual lifting effort.

I suspect this is an area of economic potential. A small air balance for lifting along with a small claw or clamp for grasping.

The various vise grip designs can be modified by tig welding handles, bolts, brackets and other jaw features on to them to permit there use in many other applications.
    Last edited by EDG; 08-05-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy

16 year old neighbor kid?

Boolit Master

I see a set on ebay for under $20, including shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PRIM...-/300944232938

When searching, also look for logging tongs and hay bale tongs. For ingots, it might also help to drill a couple of holes in the ingot for the tong tips to grab on to.
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post

How about tongue and groove pliers?
    When I was working with a lot of auto batteries this tool worked great for lifting. I'd adjust the pliers so the jaws gripped tightly around the terminal when the handles were fairly close together and I could easily lift 50 lb. batteries. The weight also helps keep the pliers tight.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

You might try a spatula for smaller boxes and ingots. you could slip it under boxes and ingots lift with the handle. A handle could be made you can grasp easily for it. Maybe a set of the old blacksmiths tongs but they are heavy to start with, and limited in what each size can pick up. A sling could be fashioned from web strapping with a couple handles also.

Using the vise grip idea, if you replaced the adjusting bolt with an eye bolt and tied a rope to it, then ran it through a few pulleys attached to the ceiling and ran near a wall. Hook the other end to a bucket and fill with 15.5lbs of something. Now all you have to do is pull down 15.5 lbs clamp, then lift 15.5 lbs to move your 31lb core.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    This may not be what you had in mind, but I purchased the hydraulic table cart from HF - lifts 1,000 lbs. I used mine to hold a hitch assembly I put in my wifes Durango and worked perfect. Lifts items about three feet.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...art-69148.html

I have the 500 lb. capacity cart and wouldn't want to be without it.

The only problem I've found with it.......now that I've gotten used to it, I want a couple more!

Just set up your smelting operation at waist high level and when the ingot molds are cool, slide them to the edge of the table and tip them over onto the cart.....no more bending, no more lifting.....life is good.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Using the vise grip idea, if you replaced the adjusting bolt with an eye bolt and tied a rope to it, then ran it through a few pulleys attached to the ceiling and ran near a wall. Hook the other end to a bucket and fill with 15.5lbs of something. Now all you have to do is pull down 15.5 lbs clamp, then lift 15.5 lbs to move your 31lb core.
    Excellent idea! Thanks...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Vendor Sponsor

Mdi: Try using smaller containers. Coffee cans work well as do smaller plastic containers that lunchmeats come in now.

I also smelt my bulk lead into muffin pans so the individual ingots are just shy of 2lbs.

You'll have to make more trips but each trip will be much easier on you. Much easier on you than blowing up your arms lifting heavy items which takes longer to heal if it heals at all.

I have noticed that as I age, my weight capacity decreases every year. I am right at the point where 50 lb. bags of salt are starting to get to be pretty hard. I blew up my back three weeks ago loading the water softener. Also 42lb. bags of Kitty Litter are a problem because the bags are awkward as hell to grip. I use a hand truck to move them around, but we are going to buy the product in smaller more manageable units from now on.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Ficus, The hydraulic table looks like a possible solution but you would still need to grip them long enough to get them on the table. If you can find someone just starting out and interested in learning you could have a smelting day and cast them into lighter ingots. I'd also would recommend an ingot mold made out of angle iron the triangle shape makes it easy to get a good grip. Arthritis is nasty business mine isn't horrible yet but my Doc assures me it won't be getting any better. FB