Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help removing cleaning brush stuck in muzzleloader

Boolit Mold

Help removing cleaning brush stuck in muzzleloader

My 32 Cal Crocket Rifle has the patch wrapped brass cleaning jag stuck in the breech. Broke right off of the thread stud. Short of taking off the breech plug, does anyone have an idea? I tried compressed air from my air compressor, and a light wire coathanger. UUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!

Boolit Buddy
    You might be able to get hold of it with a patch worm.
    Or if it's a percussion, pull the nipple and dribble some powder into the flash channel and from there into the chamber and shoot it out.
    I finally got one out with a worm once, but it didn't have a patch on it and there was nothing for the powder to push against when it fired.

Boolit Master

I have removed the nipple and trickled in a little 3F or 4F, replace nipple, add cap and fire. It sometimes works. Your subject line mentions a brush though and that is different.

Boolit Master
    I did the same thing with a cleaning patch, plastic piece of junk broke at the threads. I ended up trickling a small charge of powder through the flash hole to dislodge it, I tried everything else to include a fishing hook on steel leader, the powder worked.

Boolit Master

If the powder method doesn't work you may have to remove the breach plug and push it through.

Boolit Buddy
    Removing the breech plug from a muzzle loader is not a project to be taken lightly.

Banned

find a piece of pvc or brass pipe just smaller than the barrel and it will slide over the brush then just pull them out.

Andy

Get a peice of copper tubing that will just fit inside the barrel, slide it all the way down OVER the brush, then pull them both out.

Boolit Master

+1. Thanks Ajax. I never thought about that. I struggled to get a stuck brush/patch combo out of my Renegade. I used the powder trickle method. I'm gonna have to write this one down.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, a piece of tubing that'll push down over the brush should be a perfect tool.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

The exact same thing happened with my 32 Crockett Rifle. It took maybe three tries with powder trickled under the nipple, and out the brush blew.

Boolit Master
    Yep, time and again a brush is run down a ML bore, it gets stuck then broken off. Oh well. The most straight forward method is to do as many others have suggested. Trickle some FFF or FFFF down the flash channel. Tap the barrel as you pour and you should be able to get enough in. Don't worry about over charging, just get enough in. Fire it out.

In Remembrance

If you can find someone who has one, try the co2 unloaders. I have one and it has blown many stuck patched jag etc out of the barrel. I let a gunsmith friend use mine when one came in the shop. Took about three seconds start to finish to get it out. Found mine on Ebay for 25. GOOD investment.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    shooting it out is the best way.

if you have to unbreach it.i live between carlisle and gettysburg. i have the tools yes it takes special tools not a bench vise and a adj. wrench like i have seen many try to use.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Ive heard of people with a really bad stuck ball/brush/jag in a caplock remove the nipple, and thread in a auto grease fitting, then just pump the barrel full of grease till it pops out the other end. theyve all said cleaning out the grease was easy after and it works fine.

Boolit Master

Brush, jag...............both?????

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFM View Post
    Yeah, a piece of tubing that'll push down over the brush should be a perfect tool.
    Probably not. The Crockett Rifle has a patent breech which means the brush is probably stuck in the smaller-diameter powder chamber.

I buy used muzzle loaders, and clean guns before hunting season for hunters(some people are just too lazy) and of the ones I get, 3 out of 5 muzzleloaders are loaded, and I use the grease fitting through the nipple method to unload them.

If the tube method doesnt work, and Since it has a patch on it, and IF it is stuck in the patent breach, the grease SHOULD force it out.

Good luck.

45 Bravo
    I make 2 predictions:
    On the date when U.S. troops are issued an Energy Pulse Weapon.
    1. The U.S. soldier will have on his person a version of the Colt 1911.
    2. He will be aiming the new weapon at someone carrying an AK.

Boolit Grand Master
    I will add one thing. If you try to shoot it out, make sure you reseat the jag after each and every firing attempt. Can you say bore obstruction?

Hopefully it will only take one try.

Robert

Boolit Master

The only thing I ever got stuck in my Crockett was the rod with a patched jag on it while cleaning. I pulled the nipple and flushed the chamber with some Heat gasoline treatment to dry up the water and worked 10 grains of fffg into the breach. I was surprised at how far the rod went. The powder method will work well if the bore around the breach area is dry. If it is not and your powder draws moisture you just have a bigger mess to contend with.

Best wishes

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma