Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: PRB loading block or ball tray for rifle shoots?

Boolit Master

PRB loading block or ball tray for rifle shoots?

Hi guys,

got invited to a muzzleloading shoot last weekend, I'm hooked. For the next go around, I want to have some purpose-specific equipment to make the shoot as much fun but also help me keep track of # of shots fired. Simplify loading at the line, etc. For example, one idea is to find cheap vials (if I can), get 25, pre-measure powder and keep the vials in a 25 round 12ga MTM box. Things like that.

For this thread, I wanna talk about PRB management. Right now I have a ball bag (that my awesome wife made me) that I pull balls from and cut patches right at the muzzle.

I saw two different ideas used at the shoot to change this. One was the loading blocks with precut patches, the other was a square tray that held 5 rows of 5 balls per row. I like the tray idea. Once the row is empty, I have 5 shots down range. I'd still be short starting then cutting the patch right at the muzzle. The loading block could be even more convenient, but I worry that the patch will become misaligned during the transition from block to barrel. Or does it?

Finally, if I do go the loading block route, what size am I supposed to drill the holes? besides my forstner set my drills stop at .5" so I'll need to get a bit specifically to drill holes.

Or do you think a ball tray is the better way to go?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I prefer ball bags. More portable! And few accidental spills.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

I use a ball bag and an Altoid tin for my pre-cut moose milk loobed patches. I just don't want to have to deal with a patch knife. I see a lot of guys doing so but they all are using saliva for loob. Pre-loaded blocks seem like another hassle to me. All the above concerns target shooting on a trail walk, I do use pre-loaded quick load tubes for hunting though. Everyone has their own preferred method so whatever your happiest with works!
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

definitely not for trail walking. I haven't done that yet, but IF I were I'd be carrying around my lube strip and a patchknife. I'm thinking just for rifle shoots where we load from the bench.

Also, what DO you guys do for cleaning patches? same thing with the altoids tin? That's what I do now, with one tin for moosemilk patches for swabbing and one with dry patches. But for so many shots, that's ALOT of patches! do you really just use hem once each and go through so many? or do you do something else for bench based rifle shoots?

Moderator Emeritus

I rarely ever have to swab my bore during a shoot (20-30 shots avg.) using Moose milk patches. For after shooting cleaning I just use cut up Tee shirt material as cleaning patches. I clean initially with water and follow up with Ed's Red. Been working fine for me so far.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If shooting bench rest, keep a container of water to drop the used cleaning patches in. You can wring them, and re-use them. I keep old cleaning patches, wash them out, and re-use. I'm cheap.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    patches is what all the pillow ticking is for

I prefer the friendship speed juice for lube , but it is what i know , no need to swab between shots

Boolit Buddy
    I prefer to cut at the muzzle. I use strips of pre-lubed patch material, which are cut to a length which will provide enough material for 5 shots. Keeping track is as simple as counting the holes in the material.
    I understand the attraction of purpose built doo-dads. I would caution against complicating your benchtop any more than absolutely necessary. I'm not nearly as experienced at muzzleloader match shooting as many here, but what I have learned is that KISS definitely applies for me.

I don't care for loading blocks, and only use them for hunting. I have one made for four RB. The thing about loading blocks, the lubed patches can pick up dirt and grit. One or two shots a year when hunting is no big deal, but for continued use, I just don't think they are a good idea.

Boolit Master

OK, that sold me. I'm gonna make a ball tray. Next range trip ill try pre-cut patches to see if they shoot different than those cut at the muzzle. ALOT more material in a precut patch.

Guido, simplicity is actually the goal. While I'd carry more stuff TO the bench, there'd be less stuff on top. No ball bag, no powder horn, no powder measure. Just some tins of patches for various purpose, the rack with 25 balls on it, pan charger, and not much else! The rest of the stuff, horn, ball bag, etc can go back in the bag and hang off the bench, GREATLY simplifying what's spread out.

That's the idea anyways....

Wouldn't be the first time I spend for nothing. I used to shoot suppository rifles out of an ammo can. Then a mil-surplus canvas bag. Now a 5.11 bag I bought for $10 at a garage sale. Might source all this stuff (make) then decide it doesnt work. But at least ill try it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I don't care for loading blocks, and only use them for hunting. I have one made for four RB. The thing about loading blocks, the lubed patches can pick up dirt and grit. One or two shots a year when hunting is no big deal, but for continued use, I just don't think they are a good idea.
    That's been my experience too. Exposed greased patches are real dirt magnets.

At matches, I take my lead balls in whatever container I happen to be storing them in at the time, and put enough in my shooting bag to fire the relay and no more. That way I'm sure not to fire any 'extra' shots. I put more than enough pre-cut patches in the bag for more than a day's shooting, and I am a long time believer in spit lubing them. (They get replaced with a few greased patches when hunting.)

I see some guys show up at matches with everything but the kitchen sink in boxes, satchels, etc. When I step up to the firing line, the only thing I leave behind on the bench is the box with the supply of extra balls. The bare essentials I need to manage my rifle is contained in my shooting bag- the possibles bag usually stays in the car anymore. I think a neophyte can usually be identified by how much junk he lugs around with him.

In my double-pouched shooting bag, one pouch is devoted to balls and patches only, separated by a divider. The other pouch has the powder measure and capper, and nothing else. Small pockets sewn into the second pouch house the cleaning jag, worm, ball puller, and nipple wrench secured out of the way. A pocket on the back outside of the bag holds enough flannel patches to clean with. Attached to the shoulder strap are holsters to hold the ball starter (I have no need for a short starter) and the patch knife (which is usually only used to cut up apples and clean small animals), and the horn. Just the bare necessities. The trick to flawless/efficient re-loading is having everything to hand in its place, and not having a lot of un-needed junk in the way of your hands when you dip into the bag.

The possibles bag holds the extraneous stuff that makes a day afield/hunting/target shooting more enjoyable. But like I said, more and more it gets left behind.

Like Thoreau said, "Simplify, simplify!"

Boolit Master

I shoot matches just like I hunt. I have a hunting bag that has a smaller bag in it with a stubby screwdriver, patch jag, patch worm, and a few cleaning patches. This tool bag and my flint wallet go to the bottom of my hunting bag. My bag of round balls goes in with enough balls to shoot the match. I also put my patches, ticking cut into 1.5 inch squares, in with the balls. I also keep an inch an a half wide strip of ticking rolled up and in the bottom of my bag. My powder horn is secured to my bag for easy access. I have my powder measure tied to the shoulder strap of my bag with a leather cord so my measure doesn't get lost in my bag. On the other end of my bag strap I have a small knapping hammer and vent pick tied off so I can yank them out of my bag quickly if needed. Last but not least next to the ball bag is my priming horn.

The few matches I have shot required you to load from your bag, so I would fold back the flap on my hunting bag and open up my ball bag, pull out two patches and pop them in my mouth. Yank my powder measure, fill it from the horn hanging on my bag, and pour the powder down the muzzle. I take one of the patches out of my mouth with my left hand and a ball from my ball bag with my right. I center the inch and a half patch as squarely as possible over the muzzle and drop the .60 RB on top with the spruce up, and start it with my thumb, as I am pulling out the rod. I seat the ball against the powder, replace the rod, and open the frizzen as I am cradling the gun. I pull out my priming horn and prime the pan. The frizzen gets closed as the priming horn goes back in my bag, and I am ready to shoot. In most cases I can go through these steps in about as much time as it takes you to read them.

Oh I forgot about the other patch in my mouth. It is the next patch that gets loaded, and is replace by one from the ball bag when I remove the ball in the loading process. If you organize your stuff properly it should not take more than about 30 seconds to reload a patched round ball. You notice I don't use a short starter and I don't swab between shots. I can generally finish a 25 shot match with out swabbing, and I don't do too shabbily when it comes to placing. I may not win, but I almost always place in the top four.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

well, I'll give the tray a shot. If nothing else, I had fun making it and only spent my son's naptime on it, including the BLO finish. It's OK if I never use it again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 072720131978.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus

Nice job on the tray Steve, it looks great! I've never used one as they aren't very practical on a load from your pouch trail walk which is predominately what I shoot. I can see how it would be handy on a range though.

Boolit Master

That would be nice when shooting from a bench, and it looks good. Let us know how it works.

Best wishes

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    That tray does look good. At the range with all the stuff layed out, I use a small box with loose balls. Seems easy enough to grab one, lay patch and ram down. While out on foot or hunting, I use a ball bag with a hard, hollow section of antler sewn in. Grab the bag and drop one ball with ease, lay patch and ram down.