RepackboxMCD ProductsInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are young Mule Deer good eating?

Are young Mule Deer good eating?

I just bought a property in northern WY that's adjacent to 2200 acres of state land lousy with mule deer does and young deer. I was wondering if anyone has a special way of preparing mule deer for the table or are they better left to grow up and mount on the wall.

MJ

Moderator Emeritus

I grew up eating mule deer. Like most things taste depends on what they eat but I will kill another only if it is huge. I am hooked on river bottom whitetail. Try it and see. At the least you have burger and sausage, kielbasa etc. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Grampa used to say " If you shoot it, eat it -- unless it is something trying to EAT you! Then you can be picky." At the age of 11 I dropped a Great Heron in his presence, and he made me eat it. Yum. Tasted like a rubber bait bucket. As far as whitetail vs mule/blacktail? Whitetail is tender, blacktail/mulie ain't.

The older the deer, usually the tougher they become but in the area I'm moving to, any deer can be harvested on private land during the first two weeks of October. I thought I would plant a little soybean in the ravines after the wife and I build our house. I don't want the deer leaving our 38 acres after he/she takes a boolit; therefore, as soon as I pull the trigger, I want to see feet in the air. I suppose a heavy .358" SWC should do the trick... perhaps launched from the .35 Remington.

MJ

Boolit Master
    Only mule deer I have ever eaten were all ground into sausage, so I can't comment much.
    I will agree that what they eat is a whole lot of it. My dad swore he would not eat one of thsoe "goats". He had eaten deer years back before they were common in the "flat" farm country. He and my mom showed up one weekend and I happened to have some back strap in I talian dressing wrapped in bacon ready for the grill. After eating two he wanted to know where i got them. He just couldn't beleive it after I told him.
    Call me mean or cruel, the best eating are the ones that still have a hint of spots. Int this case it is the quality not the quantity.
    The buck I shot last year will be the last one I shoot for a long time, gravy was even tough.
    Jeff

Hahahaha never heard of tough gravy, thats gotta be a tough animal

Moderator Emeritus

What I see is that the meat has a coarser grain and a different odor and taste.

Was Raised on Mulies and prefer them to White Tails. Far as I am concerned a white tail should be shot and ground add spices and stuff into casings then smoked.
    In an over all though I think Antelope and Elk are the top two but have eaten some really nasty Antelope when they were hungry and got to eating off the sage brush.
    Shoot one and try it.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Master

MMMM MMMM Good!!

MJ,
    We have killed and eaten Mulies from button bucks and young does to a fair sized 3x4 - all were very good. We are also blessed to have permission to hunt a farm in northern Idaho where I have killed several "grain fed" whitetail does - also, very good eating. Like most wild game, I believe that if you keep it clean and get it skinned and cooled quickly, the flavor will be all you were hoping for.
    By the way, if you should need any help keeping the herd down...

Take care!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    By the way, if you should need any help keeping the herd down...

Take care!

Don
    Don,

There's a 38 acre parcel next door to mine for sale that also borders state land. Let me see if there's a finder's fee in it for me.

I don't know for sure what the deer are eating but the area is covered with a grain that looks like wild oats.

MJ

Probably is wild oats. I've been hearing about guys sowing them all my life, so they're probably everywhere...

Boolit Buddy
    Prepare ANY venison with the following and it will be so good, it'll make you jump up and slap yur momma!

6 tablespoons butter, softened
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup olive oil
    4 teaspoons garlic, minced
    4 teaspoons paprika
    2 teaspoons light brown sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons pepper
    4 steaks

Make Mustard Butter by mixing first 3 ingredients and storing in refrigerator until ready to use.

Make a paste with the remaining ingredients.

Rub paste onto the steaks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-8 hours.

Allow steaks to warm to room temp.

Grill to desired doneness.

Top with Mustard Butter and serve.

That sounds pretty good. Have you ever tried substituting an inexpensive merlot or cab for the Worchestershire sauce?

MJ

Banned

Mule deer that i have eaten were excellent. Ive ate alot more whitetail then mule deer but Ive yet to see anything from either species that wasnt excellent table fare with the exception of a really big trophy buck. Nice thing is i dont get to shoot to many of those anyway!!!! and if you they make just as good of burger and sausage as a small one. Anyone that would grind the loins of a mule deer doe into sausage needs his head checked!!

Boolit Master
    We eat buffalo, elk, white tails and then somewhere down towards the bottom of the list is mule deer and way at the bottom is antelope. Our house has lived on game or buffalo for quite a while and nothing pen raised comes even close.
    My dear wife absoluly loves moose but permits are very hard to get in wolf ridden Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by frank505 View Post
    We eat buffalo, elk, white tails and then somewhere down towards the bottom of the list is mule deer and way at the bottom is antelope. Our house has lived on game or buffalo for quite a while and nothing pen raised comes even close.
    My dear wife absoluly loves moose but permits are very hard to get in wolf ridden Wyoming.
    Speaking of wolves, there was a woman killed by a pack of dogs last week. The animal control people said it was wolves (here in southern Nevada????), but the sheriff is a little more level headed, he says it's wild dogs.
    http://www.pahrumpvalleytimes.com/20.../17119295.html

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by frank505 View Post
    I'll make you a deal pard,
    Show me where I actually have a remote chance of drawing a cow tag,(I have 4 preference points saved up) where I can get decent access, and I'll pay for the processing and split the meat with you...
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

You guys and your moose tags, just keep applying or paying your points fee and they will come. Then you will shoot the big bullwinkle and you will be sorry, your will eat tough meat for years. head north for moose.

As for the mule deer, I too have eaten it all my life and prefer it to most other big game in Wyoming. If you get some that is too gamey for you, you can always marinade it in milk overnight and that will help. Works with speed goat also (that would be antelope for the uninformed).

Moderator Emeritus

Italian dressing is a good marinade for tough meat also. Gianni

Boolit Master

All I want is a chance at a young cow moose with my blackhawk. I have no interest in a tough old bull. My friends dad shot an old timer a few years ago and can't give the meat away it's so tough and gamey.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.