Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading

Thread: Recomend me a mold for Glock 40 s&w

Recomend me a mold for Glock 40 s&w

Brother wants me to make him boolits to use in his Glock 40 s&w for mostly target shooting and some for HD, He's thinking +p for the HD.

Is there a good mold that would be suitable for both task ?

Thanks,Steve

Boolit Master

I have both the Lee 401-145 SWC and the 401-175 TC molds. I mostly use the 175 TC as it weighs closer to 180 as cast with 50/50 WW and range scrap. This closely approximates the Winchester Ranger 180 JHP my agency uses as duty ammo. Of late, I have been powder coating the boolits rather than using lube as it reduces the smoke and also keeps the bore clean as a whistle. I have two of the 175 molds and am thinking about sending one to be refitted as a HP mold. This will reduce weight of the boolit somewhat but I think it will look great and perform well. Personally, I think the flat nose of the TC profile should work well for HD even without a HP. Here's to never having to actually test them in a HD/PD situation. BTW, I shoot them through a Glock 22C and a 23 over 5 grains of Unique. Hardly a +P loading but it performs quite well in both pistols. I have also fired these loads in a Taurus 740 Slim, an XP, and a CZ, each with zero hiccups.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    I find the Lee 401-175-TC (standard lube) very accurate and reliable. Mine drop at 180 gr. Boolit length is .592 and I use a COAL of 1.100 in my G22 w/Lone Wolf barrel. I use a plinking load of Promo 4.0 @ 930 fps but it's a 100% performer for an inexpensive mold.

Boolit Buddy
    another vote for the LEE 175 TC
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    I love my RCBS .40-180-FN 558. shoots great from my Springfield XD and Glock 27

Boolit Master

Lee 175gr has proven itself for my loading as well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I shoot the RCBS 180 gr boolit over 5.1 gr of 231 in my Taurus 24/7 compact.

Boolit Master
    Either this one:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...cav-Brass-Miha

Or this one:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...4-cavity-Brass

The first one hasn't gone to production yet. The second one just did and I think Mihec still has some molds available. Send him a PM if you're interested.
    Last edited by Oreo; 07-16-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I hope that you are not thinking about loading +p for the HD rounds.

Boolit Master
    The Lee 175 TC is a good one that I've loaded for a Glock with either a Lone Wolf barrel or the factory. I cast them from WW alloy and water quench especially for the factory barrel and have better accuracy.

Boolit Master
    +P in a Glock 40 is asking for trouble if you don't have a ton of experance. I only been loading 40 for my Glock 22 for 2 years and I won't go their.
    For the more powerful loads WSF is a good powder, just don't exceed the loadbooks recommendation.

My brother wanted +P's also, I made him 2000 of a normal full power loads and another 1000 of lite plinkers (3.7wst). He loves the plinkers to shoot and won't tounch the full power loads as they recoil too much.
    FOr HD uses in my Glock 21 and Glock 22 I just keep a couple mags loaded with go FACTORY ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by emorris View Post
    I hope that you are not thinking about loading +p for the HD rounds.

Boolit Master
    No such thing as +p and +p+ in 40sw fellas. Just sayin.

Follow published load data, do propper ladder work-ups, know what pressure signs to look for, and stay away from fast powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    The Lee 175 TC is a good one that I've loaded for a Glock with either a Lone Wolf barrel or the factory. I cast them from WW alloy and water quench especially for the factory barrel and have better accuracy.
    +1 This is what I do.

Thanks for all this info.
    Today i ordered him at his request a KKM barrel and a lee 175 grn Tc mold for makeing the rounds.
    I also told him to just buy a box or two of HD ammo.

We did some reserch on cast and factory barrels and decided to forego any chance of riseing preassures in the factory barrel from leading and the KKM barrel was his replacement choice.
    I have a full array of powders to choose from including WSF, Unique, Bullseye, W296, Enforcer, 231 and Tite Group. should be able to work up a good load with one of them but not the Bullseye.

Thanks all, Steve

Boolit Bub
    I use Bullseye with lead in my factory Glock 35 barrel all the time.

175gr tc Lee sized to .403, weighs closer to 184 with my mix.
    1.120 OAL
    Federal spp
    Redding taper crimp

3.3 gr = 740fps. nice soft accurate plinker
    4.2 gr = 920fps. shoots nice makes major for USPSA limited division

Those are my loads and have worked for me. I have read all the stories. I figured it out working up with what I have. I have to run the bullets at .403 and use the Redding die to get a crimp that won't swage. I gave a few of the bullets to a guy for him to try and he loaded them to the specs I just listed. The next time I saw him he let me know they wouldn't even chamber in his gun. Maybe I have a loose one.

Another thing with ANY 40 is not to fall in love with the brass. It is a short high pressure round that is loaded with relatively fast powder. I buy once fired and reload them 3 times. After that they go in the scrap bucket or left on the ground at a match.

Boolit Master
    WSF would be my choice or something in that range. Last time I loaded I used HS-6.

I make ammo for a friend who shoots 3 gun competition with his 40 S&W Glock. He has installed a custom barrel and I use a Lee 180 TC bullet. My friend is currently placed 13th in the US in open competition beginners class.

Another thing with ANY 40 is not to fall in love with the brass. It is a short high pressure round that is loaded with relatively fast powder. I buy once fired and reload them 3 times. After that they go in the scrap bucket or left on the ground at a match.

I will keep this in mind