Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What mold for the 9mm?

Question What mold for the 9mm?

Hi all, after resisting hand loading the 9mm for a very long time I think its time to get down to it. I have multiple makes and models and would like just one cast bullet that will feed and function in all, (accuracy is a different problem) is there such a beast? I plan to size the magic bullet at .357" barring chambering problems with this larger size. I hate to say it but I have had it with the new Lyman molds so they are out of the running. This may be a fools errand but what the heck it wont be the first time. Any and all opinions are welcome!

Boolit Buddy
    I would get in on the Mihec group buy. Solids or HP, a joy to cast with.
    They try telling me that I'm crazy but we know better.

Boolit Buddy
    Ditto for the Mihec. I size at .357 also and have no issues with accuracy or feeding. My 6 cavity Lees (rntl and tc) are close to useless over 900 fps. The Lee 105 swc intended for 38's works great in half of my nines but feeding is an issue in the others. They cut perfect holes, though. Looks like a paper punch. Accuracy is excellent in 9's and 38's when sized .357.

I love the lee 120tc. I cast Magmas 124g and 135g round nose and 147g flat point. All the bullets shoot great.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee 356-120-TC is a very good choice. The RN styles have trouble
    chambering in some guns with short throats.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Thanks for the input all! I reckon I'll figure something out.

Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    I love the lee 120tc. I cast Magmas 124g and 135g round nose and 147g flat point. All the bullets shoot great.
    Ill agree with you, my lee 120 TC (drops at 124 with WW) shoots great!

Boolit Master

I've used the Lee 356-125 2R for decades in many different brands of 9mm pistols and two carbines. Mine drops about 126 grains and measures about .358 diameter. I size to .358 and lube with BAC. Within the past two years, I picked up the 356-120 TC and it has become my mainstay. As cast with 50/50 range scrap and WW it runs .358 and weighs 125. I have not fired this in as many 9mm pistols but it has worked well in several Glocks and two S&W 639 and 659 pistols. Within the past few months I have been powder coating this boolit and running it through the Glocks with great success. The TC boolit prints better on target than the RN, and the TC profile perfectly mates with the feed ramp on my Taurus 709 Slim. I hope to launch some PCd boolit through the Marlin Camp Carbine in the near future.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    I prefer the 147 grainers myself.

Boolit Master
    The Lee 356-125-2R has always shot better for me than the 356-120-TC in CZ, Browning and Glock. I find the Lyamn 358242 most accurate. All sized .358 with White Label 2500+.

Well I pulled the trigger on a order to Midway for a bunch-O-stuff yesterday. They had everything but the Lyman four die M type die set and hope to have that by the end of the month. That will give me time to cast up some of the RCBS 124 CN. I'm still debating what Lee mold to order and they are still mostly in back order status at the moment. This looks like it will be a lot of fun and frustration and once again thanks for the input all!
    Last edited by Vulcan Bob; 07-13-2013 at 12:17 AM.

147 FN? What mould and what load? Does it leave any room for powder? Seems like that would be a really long CB.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I use the Lee 120 gn TC with regular lube grooves. Sized to .258 and lubed with BAC, they go to full power in my P-11 Kel-Tek and my buddy's M&P with no leading whatsoever. I have the 6-cavity. I recommend you get it too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan Bob View Post
    Hi all, after resisting hand loading the 9mm for a very long time I think its time to get down to it. I have multiple makes and models and would like just one cast bullet that will feed and function in all, (accuracy is a different problem) is there such a beast? I plan to size the magic bullet at .357" barring chambering problems with this larger size. I hate to say it but I have had it with the new Lyman molds so they are out of the running. This may be a fools errand but what the heck it wont be the first time. Any and all opinions are welcome!
    I've cast a lot of different boolits for the 9mm and finally settled down on one that will feed in any 9mm I've come across. It's the Lyman 356637, and with a 4cav mould, you can turn a lot out in a little time. This boolit has NOT failed to feed in any 9mm I've used it in. Nice punch, nice vel, nice results, and it's the only 9mm I cast now.
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Mold
    Lead 47 ,
    What size are they from the mold (356637) ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    147 FN? What mould and what load? Does it leave any room for powder? Seems like that would be a really long CB.
    I have a mihec 147gr 6-cavity mold for my bullets. Around 3.7 grains of N330 is my current load. A 147gr CB is shorter than a 147gr jacketed bullet of which there are factory loadings available.

Sure it will be slower, but heavier, it's real easy to reach minor PF with a load that has very little recoil and reminds me of the .45ACPs recoil profile in a way. I like it more than the snappier recoil you get with lighter 9mm bullets.

I always aim for "heavy for caliber" bullets, easier to work with out of a CB perspective. Also helps when shooting suppressed.

Next to my .45s:

Boolit Master

I use the Lyman 356637 4-Cav mold
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Master

The barrels on all my Beretta and Walther 9mm pistols are just under .358". For them, I like .359" bullets. One bullet I have really liked is the Lee Cowboy 358-125 RF. it looks a little odd with an exposed crimp groove, but it shoots like a dream with a light charge of 231.

Boolit Master
    I can't remember the brand or number of the mold I used back around 1972, but it produced a terrific 121-grain truncated cone bullet. (Probably a Lyman mold.) Fed perfectly in my Luger and every other 9mm pistol I owned, and accuracy was great. I don't shoot much 9mm anymore, but if I do, and if I can't find that mold hiding amidst my equipment, I'll definitely replace it with one that casts the same bullet.

Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

Many 9mms will not chamber a boolit with that configuration, hope your
    gun will like it.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.