RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ticks.

Boolit Master

Ticks.

Our area (Kamloops BC) is classed as semi-desert. In the spring we seem to have an overabundance of ticks, but later in the summer, not so much. Wifey and I were wondering if that is just a perception or are ticks really more abundant in the spring/early summer? If so, how about in the fall?
    R.D.M.

Here in Virginia, seem as though when the ground warms just alittle they come out and stay out untill the ground gets colder. Seems like they get worse in the middle of summer but we have moist land and are very woody.I got a tick in late Dec. year before last ,surprised the hell out of me. It may be the warmest part of the year at your home that helps the tick thrive.GoodLuck and be careful with the little buggers. Had a buddy get sick from a bite and took him quite a while to completely recover.Takecare

Boolit Master

It's that 'circle of life' thing. they go to sleep all winter, get up when the ground warms, go out and eat and produce the next generation of ticks. If you happen to be lunch, then you're part of the vast wheel of life.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I've lived in the same location for 25 years and this year has been particularly bad for ticks so far. Some years it's hardly any and some years like this one they are everywhere.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Here in NW Montana they can be very thick in the early spring. Once the weather gets warm and dry, they seem to go dormant again. Supposedly they can stay dormant for ten years, waiting for a host to come along.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

^^^ I picked about 20 of them off of me week before last while working up Patrick Creek.
    "Those who know how to build their own homes, grow their own food, hunt and slaughter animals for meat, and have a healthy balance of hope and cynicism for humanity will be the ones left at the end, not some 350 pound fatass with a cache of AR's."

Boolit Grand Master

My dog and myself seem to pick them up the most during spring gobbler season which starts the last week in April. This is of course when the weather warms up and the grass is high because it hasn't been cut yet. Current time of year they are usually sparse. I did happen to pull one off the back of my neck yesterday while outside at a friends house. This could have come from the six mile hike in the morning or the trees in the friends yard. Either way I hate the things. I have to really check myself when archery season starts in late September as well.

Boolit Master
    I also got limes from a tic that bit me during a warm Nov. deer season.

Boolit Master
    If you don't mind keeping geese or chickins, they can make a big dent in the tick population. Personnaly I dislike the fowl almost as much as ticks. We had chickins on our place when I was a boy and going barefoot. Seems I was always stepping in bird doo.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Ticks thrive best under moist/humid conditions. They are attracted by body heat and moisture.... If it gets warm and dry they may not be able move on to their next life stage. I suspect it also makes it harder for them to pick up on body heat which attracts them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    If you don't mind keeping geese or chickins, they can make a big dent in the tick population. Personnaly I dislike the fowl almost as much as ticks. We had chickins on our place when I was a boy and going barefoot. Seems I was always stepping in bird doo.
    You can't eat tick eggs and a chicken will make a meal.

Grandma never allowed chickens in the house yard. I used wax boolits out of .303 Brit to 'encourage' them not to try to jump the fence.

I guess a wax boolit would stop a tick, too.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
    Ticks thrive best under moist/humid conditions. They are attracted by body heat and moisture....
    This describes Spring, Summer, and Fall in Florida. I really do hate them...Chiggers too!

Boolit Master

This year in Middle Tennessee it started out like it was going to be a bad year.

Was sitting there this afternoon and one started up my leg. I figured he was wanting a ride somewhere and being an accommodating sort of fellow that am, I let him sit on the meplat of the RD 165 as I sent it down range. Bet he has never moved that fast. Didn't even thank me
    I notice one of the deer here in the yard has a bunch of ticks in her ear. I need to set up a medicated scratcher if I could figure a way to get them to go through it.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy

guineafowl , guinea hen are supposed to eat tick's too.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMat View Post
    ^^^ I picked about 20 of them off of me week before last while working up Patrick Creek.
    I'm right over the mountain, on Cramer Creek.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Spring time ticks are thick here, till they find their hosts. Then about Aug 15th, they are done, no more nests to speak of. Usually around Sept 1st I don't need to wear tick repellant.

Boolit Grand Master

------ticks-------

----------------------
    Last edited by 725; 07-08-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: hit the wrong buttons

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in my academy days, the first aid instructor spent a great deal of time discussing ticks an the attendant health risks. He advised that to remove a tick that has bitten, one must gently and steadily pull on the tick until it releases and then wash the affected area and apply disinfectant. He always ended his lesson with the admonition (and always with a twinkle in his eye) to, "Never jerk a tick off." Been good advice so far.

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all who replied.

41 mag fan---you referred to "nests" (tick's). I have never heard of them having nests. Can you expand a bit on that? Thanks!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Our neighbors have guinea hens and it's amazing the difference in the ticks around their house compared to ours.