Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: ? on Checkering Lines per inch ?

? on Checkering Lines per inch ?

Going to checker one of my Renegades . Been looking on the net its Dealers choice . Thinking of going 16 LPI shotgun style
    what were the styles of mid to late 1800s

Boolit Master

More lines per inch makes it more difficult so 16 is a good choice if you haven't done it before. As far as traditional I can't answer that question. The Renegade isn't traditional anyway so I don't know as I would worry about it.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boz303 Bob I Have never checkerd anything before I did decide to style it to an ole shotgun pattern and from reading and a video or two 16 LPI is best for any beginner. now to round up a checkering set.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Practice on some scrap wood first!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

You might look at the early Leman of Fordney rifles for an example. I copy the skip line CHECKERING with interspaced silver or brass dots on some of my rifles. This is not what I would cal true checkering as it does not point up except for where the lines cross but it is what was popular back then.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you don't have perfect vision, get one of the magnifying visors that will allow you to focus at your working distance.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Practice on some scrap wood first!
    Practice on a LOT of scrap wood first! (fixed it for ya waksupi)
    Seriously, do practice a great deal before your 1st patterns on a gun, lots less grief & heartache screwing up a scrap pc than your prized shootin' iron.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

from what you all and what little I read a lot of practice will be requied .have a couple old Ball Bats think round and tapered will be a big plus for practice.
    MK42gunner magnifying Visor will be good for my ole eyes
    KCSO I know it is not going to be a true period Gun and a little of the old with a dash of new is just what I need . I just dont want to overdo it