Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rebarreling revolver

Boolit Master

Rebarreling revolver

Excluding gunsmiths such as Bowen, and others, who are backed up for years, please identify gunsmiths capable of rebarreling revolvers.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Sandy Garrett at Northern VA Gunworks, Lorton, VA. Pistolsmith Guild member, you will pay top dollar and wait, but his work ranks with Bowen, Grant Cunningham, et al

Boolit Buddy

If I might chime in here- I had Hamilton Bowen rebuild my S&W Model 27 revolver about 3 years ago, converting it from 357Mag to 44Spec. To my surprise, and elation, the turn-around time for the complete job (not just rebarreling) was only SIX WEEKS! And, I might add, the quality of the work is superb- you cannot tell this revolver did not leave the S&W factory as a 44Spec, other than the give-away checkering on the barrel rib that is a mark of the Model 27 alone- Please, don't believe the gunshop rumors and hearsay about how long a wait time might be. Call up the shop and speak with Mr Bowen himself- If you like what you hear, be prepared to box up your work and ship it to him- his prices are fair and his work is faultless-
    I am a satisfied customer, and will go nowhere else for my revolver work-
    Thanks for listening- 358wcf

Any gunsmith worth the title should be able to re barrel a revolver for you, provided he has a lathe. I have rebarreled my fair share of wheel guns and it is fairly simple and straightforward for a machinist of average skill. If you want a factory style caliber conversion, like the above poster's 357 to 44 then it is more in depth, as the bbl has to be swapped or rebored, and the cylinder rechambered on changed out and possibly timed. SA revolvers as a rule are a piece of cake though, putting PPC gun type barrels on DA guns are likewise an easy job.

Boolit Grand Master
    I concur with the kid. I've done a few myself, and any gunsmith worth his shingle can do it. Heck, an old time smith of my acquaintance once did a barrel swap on a S&W in an hour or so, in my presence, with only hand tools. I was floored. He replied it was all in the measurements, otherwise you were just screwing a bolt out of a hole and putting another in. He passed on quite a while back, but was a character.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    Excluding gunsmiths such as Bowen, and others, who are backed up for years, please identify gunsmiths capable of rebarreling revolvers.
    You didn't mention which frame you were starting with.
    Here is what I consider to be a very thought provoking entry at the Ruger forum.
    It is of course about making and fitting a new cylinder, but touches on most concerns and considerations.
    I'm going to be making my own Ruger cylinders as well as rebarreling a S&W and chambering cylinder to 22 HArvey K-Chuk, the good Lord willing and our creeks dont' rise(over where they are right now that is).
    http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...hp?f=3&t=54775
    Last edited by kywoodwrkr; 06-27-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Finish some words :-)

Boolit Buddy

I have an old cheap revolver that I would like to re barrel, but I would like to have a full lug put on it,like the Smith & Wesson PPC revolvers I use to have. This one is not a very expensive gun and it is really ugly right now, but it was a gift and I don't want to get rid of it. It shoots consistent but accurate, so I figured I would just make myself a little target gun with it. With the proper gunsmith and right amount of money, I can get what I want. As I say, it was a gift and I just want to make it into something I like to shoot. So with all that being said, how do I get in contact with the gentlemen you have spoke about earlier in this forum? Mr.Bowen and Grant Cunningham in particular. Thanks guys, Jim