Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 55 of 130 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2585

Thread: Powder Coating Boolits

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDrummer View Post
    So you don't like my Jihadi Lipstick?
    Actually my wife does not like the "lipstick" look.

Looks like you do same as me and use HF powders! I am ordering several wild colors this weekend to play with. How about bright yellow-green for zombie ammo? HA.....ha.

The color does not make it shoot any better. Yet.......a red car DOES seem to go faster?!?!?!?

have fun!

bangerjim

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Actually my wife does not like the "lipstick" look.

Looks like you do same as me and use HF powders! I am ordering several wild colors this weekend to play with. How about bright yellow-green for zombie ammo? HA.....ha.

The color does not make it shoot any better. Yet.......a red car DOES seem to go faster?!?!?!?

have fun!

bangerjim
    I made these in zombie color.

Boolit Bub
    ^^^^
    Very nice! I love the color!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    About right Russel. Pipe is actually PVC. Glue 2 corr. cardboard together to get enough 'height' to keep the pins & CBs upright. Doesn't scorch or burn. You have to put holes in the cardboard before inserting CBs. It is reuseable. Place this on a foil coated steel plate, grounded. The foil doesn't get coated so the regular will work. I clip the pin off flush. I did layer the foil & cardboard, but not really needed. I tried setting the base on steel and nailing the nose - you get to chase them a ways. The gun bounces and the pins get bent, more so. Most of the bent pins I get are from ricochets. They do still bounce quite a bit. There is a soft rubber pad behind the towel. After I get this batch coated I may tinker a bit, but it works.
    Dean - sounds like a good test. My PB are 180 gr 1:10 so you will get much higher fps.
    Thanks popper!

How far do those 23 gauge pins go into the boolit?

I still have to check out my reloading manual to see how your powder charges compare to jacketed bullet charges.

I've never heard of powder coating boolits. Can someone tell me where do you start? Is there a novice guide? I try following the threads but need a beginning.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Chris View Post
    I've never heard of powder coating boolits. Can someone tell me where do you start? Is there a novice guide? I try following the threads but need a beginning.
    Start on page #1, there is a lot of very good data and pros & cons and a lot to learn.
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Chris View Post
    Yes you will spend several hours reading all this thread. Lots of info.......from the beginning....when we all started trying it. I am sold. The Harbor Freight gun and powders work perfectly and the stolen toaster oven from my wife (ooooops) does an excellent job.

Everybody has thier favorite method of holding the slugs while spraying and baking. "Choose yer poison, partner!"

End the end, everybody on here are "very colorful chaps"!

Have fun and do not hesitate to ask questions in this thread on problems you run into along the way to the "rainbow of colors".

bangerjim

Russel - about .20". Have fun finding LVR loads for cast. Larry tested some (RD 165, 170) and the result was >2200 for 35 gr. I tried that, normal lube and had lots of powder left in the bbl. My rifles are 18, 20" 1:10 so I stay close to the bottom of jacketed data for the weight. I'm trying to push the FB close to GC loads, as a test. I probably should get some of the better PC to make the test fair. Also have a couple # of 335 I think I'll try in the LR-308, I didn't like the performance in 30-30 or 308MX. Those 20 rnd mags go fast when you are having fun punching holes. Gee, now I'm wondering if I can use LVR in the 24" upper with cast? Gotta stop thinking - cost too much $$.
    Last edited by popper; 06-21-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    Any of you fellas discover a need to switch (smokeless) powders when you made the switch over to PC boolits?

I'm still running HP-38 / W231 under my cast .380, 9mm, and .45ACP just like when I was lubing with 45-45-10 and am now wondering if there's a better option now. Besides, nowadays I'm finding it harder to find either of those powders at my usual shop.

HP-38 in 40SW, PC or not. I'll save my ARComp for jacketed my unique may last the rest of my life.
    Whatever!

I haven't switched, I use Clays, N320, and WST, 9mm, 38 Super, and .40. Only N320 in the smaller calibers. Going to try Solo 1000 next. Solo smoked with bayou bullets at major, we'll see with PC.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Boolit Mold
    I still use w231/hp-38 with all my PC 9mm, 40SW, and 380APC. I'm on my last 4lbs bottle of the stuff and can't find any shops around my area that have it for months.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by joemoe View Post
    I still use w231/hp-38 with all my PC 9mm, 40SW, and 380APC. I'm on my last 4lbs bottle of the stuff and can't find any shops around my area that have it for months.
    I ordered 6lbs of HP38 from powder valley a couple months ago. If you are pretty close to the north MS area I could hook you up with a pound or two.

Boolit Master
    This thread needs more pictures! Traditional lube holdouts cant hold a candle to this for pistol use. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-21-13 002.jpg 
Views:	4505 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	74290

xacex, that's AWESOME! ! !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip62 View Post
    xacex, that's AWESOME! ! !

Yes, this is awesome! I wish I tried this a year ago. No more leading out of a 9mm, and these are Glock safe! I loaded up some 9mm for my wife's 1911. Each color is a different powder with starting loads or thereabouts to see which to use with p/c boolits. These act different than my traditionally lubed boolits so my normal load of bullseye seems a little hot for these. No leading, but POI changed, and the group opened up. The hollowpoints blew apart, and didn't stay together like they did before. So, I am starting from scratch with 4 powders I have used before with good results and working up the ladder with the one that shows the most promise. Then it is time for 38 super load development with the same gun. I might just go out and pick up a Glock 33 now!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colored boolits 002.jpg 
Views:	4464 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	74314

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by sbeatty1983 View Post
    I ordered 6lbs of HP38 from powder valley a couple months ago. If you are pretty close to the north MS area I could hook you up with a pound or two.
    Thx for the offer sbeatty, I hoping my 4 lbs will last me until all this shortage blows over. I guess if nothing this will force me to test out some other powders.

xacex - will you be posting results vs powder? Pretty please?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Popper, I dont see why not. Dont wait up for me it may be a week or more before I can see how they do. I loaded them with Blue dot,Bullseye, W231, and universal. I have some red dot here as well as clays that I need to try too. No green dot on the shelf to speek of.

Boolit Mold
    Hello, U guys should try some velocity testing. I have a 356 GNR (41 mag necked down to 357) that is calling for it.