Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SPG Causing corrosion on lead bullets?

Boolit Bub

SPG Causing corrosion on lead bullets?

Has anyone had problems with bullets lubed with SPG and stored in tupperware containers causing corrosion on the lead and also the copper gas checks? I have not noticed this problem before but recently went to do some BP reloading and opened up the container I had sealed about a year ago and all the 45 cal bullets I had lubed with SPG were corroded and even the gas checks were green with corrosion. There was also a foul smell coming from the container like something was rancid or had spoiled. It even caused pitting in the lead bullets. Same day cast as the ones in the lubed container (and same type 45 cal bullets) I had stored in another container that had not been lubed were as shiny as the day they were cast. I like using SPG and it is a good product but I was surprised at what I found. Has anyone else had this problem and know what ingredient in SPG caused the corrosion? Thanks

Banned
    Plain ol beeswax can cause that oxidization issue in the right environment and with the passing of time, but likely it was one of the secret ingredients that we do not know.....could be SPG has too much soap in it....having recently seen excessively soapy lubes do just that....one can only speculate and ponder. Lubes that have below 6% soap and have a fair amount of petroleums products like vaseline, microwax and paraffin do not do that even here in this very humid part of Michigan. I am speculating that the petro compounds encapsulate the beeswax/soap on a molecular level and prevent oxygen from entering into the equation. I do not lube my BP conicals and such with nothing but deer tallow or a mix of microwax/deer tallow and now I never have the issues that I did when using the butters and other "ALL NATURAL" poo poo voo doo lubes.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh? So how much soap is in SPG?

Boolit Buddy
    Who knows???

I don't believe that the "recipe" has ever been made public.

Banned

none.

Boolit Master
    I have had that problem when using animal fats in lube. I quit using them in BP lube long ago for that reason. Animal fats can work good for BP lube but there is that long term issue.

Boolit Grand Master
    So we can safely put to rest the notion that soap is the cause of the corrosion. Imagine that.

Boolit Master

I have some SPG lubed 45/70 boolits from my first batches 4 years ago that are very oxidized. They were stored in hard clear plastic that is not airtight.

I'll try to get some pics up later.

HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    If I am being bad take proper recourse. NASA lube for black powder has no animal fats and will not corrode lead or brass in long term storage.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't see promoting a superior product as bad.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

It's probably due to the natural salt in animal fat, i.e., lard. The solution is to shoot the lubed bullets soon after lubing them, i.e., within a few months. The rancid smell is rancid lard. The solution is to microwave the bottle and kill the bacteria.

Boolit Bub
    Good points well taken. I figured it was something organic in the SPG and as you know anything organic will break down with an accompanying smell. I did njot think that it would cause the lead to corrode so badly causing pits in the metal though. Solution as mentioned would be to load and shoot the bullets asap after sizing/lubing and not storing them for an extended time.

I can see why people shot with a bullet using natural lubes such as lard, tallow, etc. way back when were prone to blood poisoning and the wound getting infected. What is this NASA Lube mentioned above? Who sells it? I don't think I have heard of it. You say its better than SPG?
    Last edited by TMSCU; 06-18-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    For NASA lube send a PM to Bullshop, he can hook you up

Boolit Bub
    Thanks! I will do that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    none.
    Glad someone could answer that with full conviction as I could not. Please tell Steve and Mike hello for me, thank you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Oh? So how much soap is in SPG?
    I can say with no trepadation... I simply DO NOT KNOW, hence the pondering....... but I am glad run has the answer and is Mr. Garbe's penpal and such.

Boolit Grand Master
    So we threw the soap thing out there for no reason?

Banned
    ............yep....as a possible possibility as I originally stated.

I knew one of the three amigos would have all the answers. I guess I should have just waited for the right answer eh?

Sometimes I wonder if one of the THREE AMIGOS could accurately tell BullShop Dan what is in his commercial lubes as well as they can tell everyone else what is in their commercial offerings.......sometimes I just like to ponder things like that. Things like the above and other things like " does lacking the ability to say "I DO NOT KNOW" actually make you appear smarter to the little mutt humping your leg". I just like to ponder things I only have a miniscule clue about......call it an illness if you will.

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually there are far more than 3 of us. Just one more speculation in which you were wrong.....

Banned

Mike ain't involved with spg anymore and hasn't been for quite some time.
    it's all steve's baby now.

Dan know's what's in his lube he put it there, he has even posted his secret recipe on the board.

I don't know what the problem is, nobody stepped on your toes or come over your way to cause trouble.